Model aeroplane sequence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
The most unbelievable indoor model aeroplane flying I have ever seen.:eek:
Even if you are not into this kind of thing its well worth watching.........:thumb:
I guarantee you will watch this more than twice.............:rock:

Hotlink.....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRX_EJZwrRQ

Youtube is blocked here at work, but I guess it's some indoor aerobatics?

Got lots of links at home if people are interested :)

Oh, you found a video of me, doing some flying! I wish! :)

That's good - v. impressive.

I haven't seen a reversible motor before on a RC 'plane, although I suppose it's perfectly possible.

I have seen reverse propeller pitch before, but only to slow down after landing, never to actually hold the nose off the ground!

Excellent flying ... as you have probably guessed, variable pitch props. are often used in freestyle nowadays.

I do fly indoor 3D aerobatics, but strictly at a 'fun' level. Nowhere near that amount of talent (or time to practice!).

Hover2.jpg

Some pics of a VPP setup retro-fitted to one of my old planes for testing

VP0.jpg

VP1.jpg

VP2.jpg

Superb to watch,

How many channel remotes are they? I'm only use to RC cars with 3 or 4 channel.

Serious skill in their flying.

Looks like a helo collective-style of control then for the variable pitch.

Clever!

Yup.

Typically you'd use a helicopter pitch/throttle mixer, so with the throttle stick in the centre the motor would be stopped with the prop. blades at zero degrees. Stick forward increases power and positive pitch, stick back increases power and negative pitch (with the pitch curves tuned to give as linear an increase in thrust as possible).

But ... flying that setup takes an awful lot of practice before it feels even vaguely natural! It's extremely hard to over-ride the instinct to pull the throttle stick back in an emergency (learned over many years)!

I set up an alternative configuration with just two pitch positions - default positive, with a 'momentary' button on the TX that flicked it into negative (reverse) while held down. Normal throttle, not linked. That's the one I used most.

I had some practical problems due to the retro-fit ... basically the rapid changes in torque kept breaking the motor mount plate free :eek:

The prop. isn't as efficient as a normal one, so thrust and flight times were reduced. Plus of course the extra weight of the servo and pitch mechanism.

So my latest indoor aerobat is conventional fixed pitch. But as I said, I only fly for fun - no competitions any more.

pic02-1.jpg

Showing the control throws

pic03-2.jpg

Last edited:
How many channel remotes are they? I'm only use to RC cars with 3 or 4 channel.

For that type of model, 6 channels at most:

Rudder
Elevator
Throttle
Left aileron
Right aileron
Pitch

A few freestyle models have streamers or smoke that can be deployed in flight, which would be another channel.

Often only a single channel is used for ailerons as that's the lightest option (one servo). But using two channels allows you to use the ailerons as flaps or spoilers (moving up and down together, as well as differentially for roll) to enhance the pitch response or improve stability at very high angles of attack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom