Model code for new E class coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HarmeshK

Car
E220d Coupe (C238) Premium Plus
Hi guys,

Wondered if you help me clear something up.

The new E class coupe. Is the model code c238 or w238 or both? I’ve seen it referenced as both and just wondered which one it is.

Thanks chaps!

I think I'm right in saying that the chassis number begins WDD238XXXX which is where the W238 comes from
But different body shapes have a different prefix so a Coupe may be a C238 where a convertible could be an A238, etc.

But then I could be completely wrong!!

W = saloons/sedans, S = estates, C = coupes, A = convertibles, V = stretched saloons/sedans.

I refer to my cabriolet as a W124 but really it's an A124 - crazy!

Thanks guys.

I’ve looked at the chassis number and it does indeed start with WDD238 - so like you say I guess that’s where the W238 comes from.

As W124nut has said the C stands for coupe, but the W stands for sedan so that rules out W238.

This makes the BMW model codes looks simple!

Yep, the W238 is the generic platform with the C238 being the Coupe and the A238 the Cabriolet.

I think I'm right in saying that the chassis number begins WDD238XXXX which is where the W238 comes from
But different body shapes have a different prefix so a Coupe may be a C238 where a convertible could be an A238, etc.

But then I could be completely wrong!!
Nope...that's not where the W comes from.

Thanks guys.

I’ve looked at the chassis number and it does indeed start with WDD238 - so like you say I guess that’s where the W238 comes from.

As W124nut has said the C stands for coupe, but the W stands for sedan so that rules out W238.

This makes the BMW model codes looks simple!
Again...nope, that's not where the W comes from.

Except even Mercedes systems such as WIS refer to the W207. In reality the W should not exist for this platform as there is no saloon, but they still reference it. Tends to be parts common to both the C207 and A207.

Another rule they break themselves.

Hi guys,

Wondered if you help me clear something up.

The new E class coupe. Is the model code c238 or w238 or both? I’ve seen it referenced as both and just wondered which one it is.

Thanks chaps!

W is the country code in the VIN system and means Germany - S for example is UK and with the next 2 letters is know as the "World Manufacturer Indicator"
DD is manufacturer code, in this case Daimler Benz. Just to confuse Daimler also uses DB and DC depending which part of Daimler Group do the manufacturing.
213 model code (E Class sal/est)
204 Engine code (the engine code changes for each Br and from that number you can tell if its a sal/est etc)
"1" or "2" (for LHD or RHD)
"A" to "F" to describe the factory. A = Stuttgart for example, F = Bremen (some letters can mean multiple letters dependant upon the WDB, WDC or WDD code. So A also means Spartenburg in the US)
000123 is the serial number.

Note US cars use a different system of only numbers after the first three letters.

The model/Br (Baureihe [literally building row] Code) code for the E class is W213 (saloon), S213 (estate), A238 (cabriolet) and C238 (coupe). It is purely coincidence that MB use Wxxx and is nothing to do with the VIN number designation to describe the Generic model code for each type of car (such as W205 for the current C Class or W213 for the E Class).

So based on my own cars:

WDD 213 204 2A 000123 means MB, E Class (est) 220d, RHD, Built in Stuttgart, 123rd car off the line
WDD 238 414 2F 000123 means MB, E Class (conv) 220d, RHD, Built in Bremen, 123rd car off the line

SIMPLES!!!

Trust this helps?

Further reading : Vehicle identification number - Wikipedia

W is the country code in the VIN system and means Germany - S for example is UK and with the next 2 letters is know as the "World Manufacturer Indicator"
DD is manufacturer code, in this case Daimler Benz. Just to confuse Daimler also uses DB and DC depending which part of Daimler Group do the manufacturing.
213 model code (E Class sal/est)
204 Engine code (the engine code changes for each Br and from that number you can tell if its a sal/est etc)
"1" or "2" (for LHD or RHD)
"A" to "F" to describe the factory. A = Stuttgart for example, F = Bremen (some letters can mean multiple letters dependant upon the WDB, WDC or WDD code. So A also means Spartenburg in the US)
000123 is the serial number.

Note US cars use a different system of only numbers after the first three letters.

The model/Br (Baureihe [literally building row] Code) code for the E class is W213 (saloon), S213 (estate), A238 (cabriolet) and C238 (coupe). It is purely coincidence that MB use Wxxx and is nothing to do with the VIN number designation to describe the Generic model code for each type of car (such as W205 for the current C Class or W213 for the E Class).

So based on my own cars:

WDD 213 204 2A 000123 means MB, E Class (est) 220d, RHD, Built in Stuttgart, 123rd car off the line
WDD 238 414 2F 000123 means MB, E Class (conv) 220d, RHD, Built in Bremen, 123rd car off the line

SIMPLES!!!

Trust this helps?

Further reading : Vehicle identification number - Wikipedia

This would mean mine was 79,870 off the production line. And I thought I had one of the first ones :(

Sorry to disappoint - was 9500+ (ish) before yours :p:p:p:p:p:p:p and still an 809 car!

Don't forget the serial number is for the whole production run (all types) not just of your particular variant. That said I would where the other 80K have gone as I have to date only seen 6 in Germany (2 at my local dealers don't count!) and 4 on the road (2 of which were this weekend).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom