Model differences w204 - power steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonals

Car
C220 cdi W204, Kawaski ZX10R, Honda NX650
I have a 14 plate c220 auto standard model. When it was in for a service yesterday I was given a 63 plate c250 amg auto courtesy car. The steering on the c250 was much lighter than mine and then went dead when the stop start kicked in. If I tried turning the wheel the engine restarted, like it was a hydraulic system.

Does anyone know why there would be a difference? The models are quite similar. Just curious.

The steering on the 250 you describe is as my c200cdi SE, which I think is normal. I would have expected the AMG to be heavier so maybe your steering has a faiult.

The official MB W204 price list details speed sensitive steering on the Sport/AMG model? I think this is related to the variable ratio or parametric steering described here-- some PDFs--- This varies the steering assistance with vehicle speed and might account for the difference you experienced. Although the system described is for different models the principle may well be the same?? (SPS) Speed-sensitive power steering - Mercedes-Benz Forum

The official MB W204 price list details speed sensitive steering on the Sport/AMG model?
Not sure about the facelift cars, but certainly on the pre-facelift W204's Parameter Steering was standard on the Sport models and optional on the rest. Actually, thinking about it, I believe that for post-facelift it was still standard on the Sport models, but not even available as an option on the others - which was one of the reasons I moved to an E-Class as I didn't want a C-Class in Sport guise.

I think the steering is ok on my car. It feels about the right weight and is unaffected by the stop-start engine cut out - I'd guess it is an electric power steering system.

The speed-sensitive explanation makes sense. I wonder if it is the 250 model or the AMG trim that decides it. And if it is a hydraulic system does that make it worse on fuel consumption.

I was just surprised given that the models were similar in age and near end of production cycle.

I think the steering is ok on my car. It feels about the right weight and is unaffected by the stop-start engine cut out - I'd guess it is an electric power steering system.

The speed-sensitive explanation makes sense. I wonder if it is the 250 model or the AMG trim that decides it. And if it is a hydraulic system does that make it worse on fuel consumption.

I was just surprised given that the models were similar in age and near end of production cycle.

I'm guessing its the amg or sports trim that decides as my c220 has it.

The diesel engine would be heavier that the petrol engine, perhaps the steering system is tuned differently to accommodate for this?

I just looked back through the old brochure and found that the AMG sport models had:

"Sports parameter steering (electric power steering standard on C 180)".

So I guess mine is the basic electric system. It's a shame I only had the courtesy car in London traffic - not much chance to see the difference.

I just looked back through the old brochure and found that the AMG sport models had:

"Sports parameter steering (electric power steering standard on C 180)".

So I guess mine is the basic electric system. It's a shame I only had the courtesy car in London traffic - not much chance to see the difference.

The W204 has engine driven hydraulic pump power steering afaik [ with electrical ratio altering control in some cases] . Completely electrical power steering assisted/varied by an electric motor rather than a hydraulic pump started with the W205. Rough and ready test- if the steering options include "automatic parking" its likely to be electrical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom