Modern Watches - Too Complex, or Innovative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpyoldgit

MB Enthusiast
Car
C270CDI Avantgarde SE
Knowing that there are several watch collectors who frequent these forums, thought I would share this video.

As the title says. innovative, too complex, or just gimmicks? They're certainly different !

(Obviously speeded up in parts).

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=QLS5zPyAB9s[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Some truly amazing examples of the watchmakers art there. I like them; watches have been a bit 'samey' for me for quite a while…some nice ones name wise but looks wise, lots of similarities. Mind you, it would take some getting used to telling the time if not using standard hands or digital though. Fascinating stuff.

It's a watch :wallbash:

I love stuff like this. I wouldn't like to own a few of those as I'm not a lover of "bling" but some of them in that video are impressive. My possible favourite is the JLC Tourbillon @ 30 seconds, though some of the others are pretty cool as well. :)

For my own watches, I tend to steer clear of too many complications, apart from a few chronographs, but would certainly make room in my little collection for a few of those. Problem is I'd have to sell the house and car to afford the ones I like. :D

I find them interesting.

Miniature mechanical intricate machines but I choose to wear a Quartz watch for accuracy.

With watches, you can either treat them as an investment, or buy and enjoy.

I treated myself to an IWC. There were definitely more sensible choices out there, but I simply just liked the way this particular watch looked. It's worn daily, and taken a few knocks but I get to enjoy everyday.

I've already made a reference to how cars are like women in another thread today.
- Watches are like cars. Some are works of art, some are overly complicated, some are destined for the museum and some will provide a service until scrapped.

Some people 'get' nice watches , others don't :(

I do.

I could actually see what the time was on only two or three of the mechanical contrivances featured. The rest were very clever, no doubt well made but as a watch they were useless.

If you can't tell the time on it, is it a watch?

I could actually see what the time was on only two or three of the mechanical contrivances featured. The rest were very clever, no doubt well made but as a watch they were useless.

If you can't tell the time on it, is it a watch?

Nah, that's a bracelet.

I've got to a stage in life where I've grown out of thinking about the latest fashion so spend a lot less time choosing clothes than I once did. However, I still have an interest in such things as watches and shoes and probably spend too much time looking at, and buying, these items.
Good watches and shoes tend not to go out of fashion, you generally don't look too much of a **** for wearing them and they can be things of beauty.
I also enjoy the maintenance side of these such as polishing and messing about with different straps.

Horses for courses no doubt but a watch/shoe habit is far cheaper than changing cars every few months or spending £1000's on tuning/modding

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent 45 mins putting a new battery in mine this morning, fiddly microscopic screw!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom