Modifications

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Muddyell

Car
E320 CDI
I have a 2008 E320 CDI. I have never really bothered too much with diesels before but fell in love with this. I have heard that there and plenty of options with diesels to gain more power. What sort of modifications are best? I've heard DPF and EGR removal can really mess with a mercedes ECU. Am I right with this?

I think I read somewhere (on here) that it would now fail the MoT with the DPF removed. Worth a proper check.

There are ways and means around that. I have also been told that catalytic converters on a deisel are pointless and are only really used to restrict power. What's the truth in this?

I think I read somewhere (on here) that it would now fail the MoT with the DPF removed. Worth a proper check.

That is correct

there will be very divided opioions on here about Cat and DPF removal, but at the end of the day, doing so will release more power so to speak and make some significant changes to the cars general dynamics. Your choice of course, but depending on how you remove a DPF lets say (remove the guts of the unit and code the engine accodingly due to the changes in back pressure) wont necessarily fail an MOT as at this stage MOTs are purely visual checks. Plenty of companies offer this service.

But maybe consider leaving the exhaust bits as are and go for a an engine remap - dont pay over the odds, there are companies professing to do the world for your car and charging heaps - stay away. Someone on here will recommend some companies but research them yourself and dont be fooled into paying hundreds of pounds for an off the shelf map.

But custom maps are the way to get bang for buck IMHO.

PS - CAT systems are NOT fitted to reduce power, they alter the gasses thrown out by an engine via chemical and mechanical filtration (DPF) but in turn increase engine back pressure and as such reduce engine power and efficiency - one of the perils of living in a world trying to better itself I guess :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom