Modifying a new car purchased on finance?.......... Beware.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure about that. Normally get more money selling the mods separately and then passing the car off as 'stock'. Be a very small market for the car as is

I can only pity the poor sod who will buying a 3-tears old ex-lease vehicle that unknowingly to him or her has been massively butchered then un-butchered..................

I can only pity the poor sod who will buying a 3-tears old ex-lease vehicle that unknowingly to him or her has been massively butchered then un-butchered..................
Never raced or rallied..... much!

Not sure about that. Normally get more money selling the mods separately and then passing the car off as 'stock'. Be a very small market for the car as is
Was thinking of the labour cost removing carbon trim, exhaust system, methanol injection system seems a bizarre way to spend your money!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Its a real risk in buying a seconf hand 'performance' vehicle. The A45 Facebook group is full of ads of people selling kit prior to selling their vehicle. Suspect some were PCP going back to dealer. These will then get put on the forecourt and you would have no way of knowing

You would have hoped that the car salesman had done his job properly and explained the customer obligations clearly.

[emoji16][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji23] yes right, just sign on the dotted line sir, you tube modifiers are welcome as long as my comms are paid.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I know.

However, the trade were reviewed by the FCA earlier this year and some alarming deficiencies were found regarding the sale of car finance where way too many punters had no idea what their obligations were under the finance agreement and this was found to be fully due to the salesman's poor competency skills.

Its a real risk in buying a seconf hand 'performance' vehicle. The A45 Facebook group is full of ads of people selling kit prior to selling their vehicle. Suspect some were PCP going back to dealer. These will then get put on the forecourt and you would have no way of knowing
Many moons ago I did a couple of Palmer Motorsport days when they were based at Bruntingthorpe. One of the cars I drove was a Golf VR6 (told you it was a long time ago!), complete with roll cage, instructor's brake pedal, etc. I asked the instructor what they did with the cars when they'd finished with them. "They have the cage and other mod's stripped out, and then go back to VW who put them through the dealer network as approved used, low-mileage cars", came the reply.

I suppose, technically, that the "low-mileage" claim was correct - just that most of those miles had been covered bouncing off the rev-limiter...

I know.

However, the trade were reviewed by the FCA earlier this year and some alarming deficiencies were found regarding the sale of car finance where way too many punters had no idea what their obligations were under the finance agreement and this was found to be fully due to the salesman's poor competency skills.

The question is if he took-out the finance privately, or through his business.

If the latter, he will have much protection in law.

Many moons ago I did a couple of Palmer Motorsport days when they were based at Bruntingthorpe. One of the cars I drove was a Golf VR6 (told you it was a long time ago!), complete with roll cage, instructor's brake pedal, etc.
Must have been about the same time that I went there ... IIRC on the Golf the instructor had some sort of kill switch on the passenger door armrest as well :)

The question is if he took-out the finance privately, or through his business.

If the latter, he will have much protection in law.
Maybe the other way around?

My point is that dealers have been found to be lacking when selling finance by the regulator.

Must have been about the same time that I went there ... IIRC on the Golf the instructor had some sort of kill switch on the passenger door armrest as well :)
It would have been around 1999 / 2000 - and you're right about the kill switch on the passenger door armrest. Great fun getting it into a 4-wheel drift at north of 100mph in the right-hander at the end of the straight :)

And I still have a trophy somewhere for FTD on the twisty sprint in an Elise...

CORRECTION:

"The question is if he took-out the finance privately, or through his business.

If the latter, he will have much LESS protection in law"

Maybe the other way around?

My point is that dealers have been found to be lacking when selling finance by the regulator.
Thanks - it was a typo.

Many moons ago I did a couple of Palmer Motorsport days when they were based at Bruntingthorpe. One of the cars I drove was a Golf VR6 (told you it was a long time ago!), complete with roll cage, instructor's brake pedal, etc. I asked the instructor what they did with the cars when they'd finished with them. "They have the cage and other mod's stripped out, and then go back to VW who put them through the dealer network as approved used, low-mileage cars", came the reply.

I suppose, technically, that the "low-mileage" claim was correct - just that most of those miles had been covered bouncing off the rev-limiter...
There's always been a risk like this e.g. the AMG cars at Brooklands but you could see evidence of the extra pedals in the footwell etc etc. Nowadys someone can put an aggressive map on the car run it and then take the map off and you would struggle to know until the turbo or whatever gives up the ghost!

I have been following this guy on YouTube for a few weeks, as I enjoy his interesting reviews on fast Mercedes/BMW and Audi cars in particular.
Today I notice he has posted this warning video regarding BMW taking back his financed M4 if he doesn't pay the full balance owing within a week. Seems its a finance purchase, not PCP.
His crime is to have modified it and possibly, with his car reviews on Youtube, attracted the attention of BMW.

I am inclined to think he has been either very naive in thinking he can do what he wants to the car as he is paying for it, or chancing his arm. Either way, it's not turning out well for him.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
He can’t half talk .

3 tears old sounds about right - crying shame .

This seems like a very common thing. - Return it to "standard" and sell it as such; if you can't take the exhaust off, sell it as "subtly modified with exhaust".

Then the next owner dutifully buys all the same (or similar) parts and proceeds to install most of the same mods again... probably wondering why it was so easy.

In some respects I'd prefer that the previous owner was just honest about what they'd done and I could decide how much of it I wanted to undo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom