Modifying car on PCP affect MB Return?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zach1810

Hi Guys,

I have already asked this question in the W204 Owners thread but haven't really got a straight answer as it doesn't seem that many people have ever done this?

I understand the thoughts behind the "mortgage" and that your lender wont restrict you from changing your house until 25 years in.

However i was looking to get some feedback from someone who has actually done this and experienced this first hand.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Zach

Its simple so not sure why there is confusion - just read your T&C's.

Any car purchased on secured finance such as PCP or HP is owned by the finance company.

In the case of MBFS you are required to get their permission before making any modifications to the vehicle.

However, I think that they are okay as longs as the car comes back to them as provided and as per their 'vehicle return conditions document' e.g. OEM tyres, same wheels and with all the extras that formed part of the finance agreement.

The above only counts when you hand the car back to MBFS either at the end of the PCP agreement or by voluntary termination. If you part exchange the dealer will take any modifications into account when providing a part ex price.

Its simple so not sure why there is confusion - just read your T&C's.

Any car purchased on secured finance such as PCP or HP is owned by the finance company.

In the case of MBFS you are required to get their permission before making any modifications to the vehicle.

However, I think that they are okay as longs as the car comes back to them as provided and as per their 'vehicle return conditions document' e.g. OEM tyres, same wheels and with all the extras that formed part of the finance agreement.

The above only counts when you hand the car back to MBFS either at the end of the PCP agreement or by voluntary termination. If you part exchange the dealer will take any modifications into account when providing a part ex price.

Thanks for your reply Moff.
Have you actually modified your car and returned it to MB?

I'm curious to find out any first hand experience. As i have heard from some members that MB charge you to return the car to as it was when purchased.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have already asked this question in the W204 Owners thread but haven't really got a straight answer as it doesn't seem that many people have ever done this?

I understand the thoughts behind the "mortgage" and that your lender wont restrict you from changing your house until 25 years in.

However i was looking to get some feedback from someone who has actually done this and experienced this first hand.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Zach

i think it will depend on the mods? I don't see the harm in cosmetic changes as long as you keep all OEM parts and return the car as it is when you give it back?

e.g My brother had a clc on PCP, had added a amp and sub. It was taken out on return.

I cant imagine they will be happy with the car being returned looking like something out of max power mag.

Mods to houses as a rule increase their value , mods to cars generally do the opposite.

This is why lenders are happy for you to 'mod' your house. If they have to grab it back , they get their money.

i think it will depend on the mods? I don't see the harm in cosmetic changes as long as you keep all OEM parts and return the car as it is when you give it back?

e.g My brother had a clc on PCP, had added a amp and sub. It was taken out on return.

I cant imagine they will be happy with the car being returned looking like something out of max power mag.

Yes, forgot to mention. Im certainly not looking to get a feature in Max Power. All i was looking to do was get the quad AMG exhausts inc rear diffuser.

Well as long as the modiciations are reversible and you return the car back to standard putting the original parts back on it shouldnt be a problem. Make sure none of the exhaust pipes are cut and welded as they would spot that straight away.

Yes, forgot to mention. Im certainly not looking to get a feature in Max Power. All i was looking to do was get the quad AMG exhausts inc rear diffuser.

I think if you swapped it back to OEM on return, I dont see this being an issue?

I wouldn't return to them with it left on because:

a. its stupid

b. your giving away free money.

c. You can sell it second hand on ebay

Presumably MB intend selling returned vehicles as Approved Used. I don't recall ever seeing Approved Used vehicles featuring mods that weren't available as options, so I assume either the Ts&Cs preclude mods or require you to pay for their removal and restoration to original on return.

From the other thread, you have a C220 CDI and want to fit a C63 quad tailpipe exhaust?

As already mentioned you simply need to check the terms of your agreement.

If allowed to do the mod you'd almost certainly have to return it to original condition before giving the car back, so you'd need to factor in the cost of having this done.

Remember you would need to declare the change to your insurer.

Remember that guy selling the carbon fibre trim of his c63 as he was returning it as his agility was up?

The cars are inspected by BCA on collection, so you can get lucky and say that was the standard trim.

The car then goes through a full inspection but I am not convinced they would noticed the change in trim. But its a risk.

I've been hit by MBFS as I changed my wheel colour. They needed doing and I was originally planning to either buy my car for my wife or px. But, we decided to px the car against a new A class for my wife and although MB Nottingham said they loved the wheels and it didn't impact px value, we didn't like the deal so opted to VT (as the car was not in equity when it should have been at that stage of the deal).

So..... BCA reported the wheels as not standard and they have invoiced me for £320. Naturally I have appealed given the fact the tyres were almost new - 8mm all round and the car was in perfect condition. It's currently sat with their dispute team and we are waiting to speak to them / find out.

The cars are inspected by BCA on collection, so you can get lucky and say that was the standard trim.

The car then goes through a full inspection but I am not convinced they would noticed the change in trim. But its a risk.

I've been hit by MBFS as I changed my wheel colour. They needed doing and I was originally planning to either buy my car for my wife or px. But, we decided to px the car against a new A class for my wife and although MB Nottingham said they loved the wheels and it didn't impact px value, we didn't like the deal so opted to VT (as the car was not in equity when it should have been at that stage of the deal).

So..... BCA reported the wheels as not standard and they have invoiced me for £320. Naturally I have appealed given the fact the tyres were almost new - 8mm all round and the car was in perfect condition. It's currently sat with their dispute team and we are waiting to speak to them / find out.

Perfect, Thanks for this reply. I think it makes it much clearer to understand. I'm going to go ahead with this small modification and most probably change back before the return of the car.

Thanks for all of your help to everyone who posted. :thumb:

Remember that guy selling the carbon fibre trim of his c63 as he was returning it as his agility was up?

Think that was Seven, that was different. Dealer fitted the carbon interior free after a fek up. He then wanted out so sold the car back to the dealer, they said the carbon interior added nothing to the trade-in price so he tried to sell it off himself.

The car was never being returned under an agility or finance agreement so was purely based on trade-in value.

I think an MB dealer may not be fussed about a quad exhaust, but MBFS would be.

S

T
I think an MB dealer may not be fussed about a quad exhaust, but MBFS would be.

S

MB dealers want them all back to standard, they even take off MB mudflaps and bin MB roof racks if people leave them in the cars when they chop them in or return them.

Part of it is so that they can then flog mudflaps and roofracks to the new owners etc.

Is that where get them from? ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist......

S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom