Mods for disabled driver - need to know how airbag opens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guy Thomas

Have recently taken delivery of my C180 Estate (W203, first registered 4/1/02). Car has been modified for hands-only control by a disabled driver (me) - see attached pic. The lever to the right behind the steering wheel operates brake/accelerator with a push/pull action using my right hand. Steer with my left hand using steering wheel spinner attached at 10 o'clock position on wheel.

My question is does anyone know in which direction the steering wheel cover is designed to open if the airbag fires? Does the plastic cover over the airbag hinge at the top, at the bottom, or something else?

What I am trying to figure out is whether the 10 o'clock position is the safest position for the steering wheel spinner, or whether it would be safer to put it at 7 o'clock or 6 o'clock.

Attachments

• DSCN0116.JPG
    DSCN0116.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 65
Indicators, horn, headlamps etc

Not the main point of my post, but in case you are wondering how I operate the other controls, well the indicators are the small switch on top of hand control lever. Horn is the button on the bottom of the lever. Headlamp dipswitch is the switch on top of the lever arm, just visible outside steering wheel at the 3 o'clock position.

All other controls operated by hooking your right thumb over the wheel to hold the steering so you can let go with your left hand and use that hand to operate wipers/ cruise control/whatever.

It's quite easy when you get used to it. Not as dodgy as it sounds. Have passed advanced driving tests etc using these controls!

Oh and the pedals are not removed BUT there's a pedal guard fixed over the accelerator pedal. Removeable for servicing etc, but unpleasant surprise for anyone trying to steal the car :D

Last edited:
Guy Thomas said:
Have recently taken delivery of my C180 Estate (W203, first registered 4/1/02). Car has been modified for hands-only control by a disabled driver (me) - see attached pic. The lever to the right behind the steering wheel operates brake/accelerator with a push/pull action using my right hand. Steer with my left hand using steering wheel spinner attached at 10 o'clock position on wheel.

My question is does anyone know in which direction the steering wheel cover is designed to open if the airbag fires? Does the plastic cover over the airbag hinge at the top, at the bottom, or something else?

What I am trying to figure out is whether the 10 o'clock position is the safest position for the steering wheel spinner, or whether it would be safer to put it at 7 o'clock or 6 o'clock.
I think the bag splits across the middle? im sure thats how it happens... anyone got any crashed pickies ?

from what I remember these type go off like this.You might be able to just see fine lines in the plastic face to give you an indication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom