Monaco GP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
Is this the most boring race in the calendar? There's very little overtaking and once the top cars have gained their position there's very little chance of a change. No wonder Hamilton was miffed as it seems this race is won or lost in qualifying. Great drive from Ricciardo though

Last edited:
Excellent race! Plenty of drama, overtaking and a couple of coming togethers. Always a unique and thrilling event. Look forward to it each year. Some of the onboard video was mesmeric, the sped those barriers flash past !!!!!

Yes,good race and some top driving,well done Nico and Lewis.a highly debatable pole though.

Only one person has ever won Monaco that didnt start on pole.

Hamilton.

There's been loads of winners who didn't start on Pole, In 1987 Senna started second behind Mansell and won, Schumacher won in 1997 after starting second, Coulthard won after starting behind Montoya in 2002 and thats just the ones I can think of from memory as they were pretty memorable races

Is this the most boring race in the calendar?

Simple answer: yes

It also has a unique glamour.

In sporting terms it should have been dropped at least a couple of decades ago if not earlier. In commercial terms it demonstrates the power of money over sport.

Only one person has ever won Monaco that didnt start on pole.

Hamilton.

You missed the rest of the quote... The above is true for the last 10 years

Last edited:
I'm not sure what 'unique glamour' means. I know what turns me away from watching the event apart from the excruciatingly dull procession, and that's the endless parade of vacuous bimbettes sporting ludicrous sunglasses, the usual suspects who would attend the opening of an envelope. The assumption that we're all fascinated by Katy Perry's views on DRS zones or whatever, the way the safety requirements which quite rightly are imposed on all other circuits are totally ignored at Monaco.

It embodies everything I hate about the cult of celebutard.

F1 without Monaco is unthinkable.

You have to also realise that it's like LinkedIn on water for the elite.

Monaco holds the record for the least finishers in a GP... just 4

Must be close to that US race some years ago....??

Did you watch it on sky or BBC? I watched BBC and did not see any cool onboard footage. Overall, the BBC programme looked rather dull for what is typically a great GP, even with very little overtaking.

You must have dropped off! :)

I only watch F1 on the Beeb, plenty of onboard video, both in Qualifying and the Race itself

what is typically a great GP

It's typically a procession with some attrition and some crashes.

I can only remember a couple of races at Monaco being any good over the last 35 years. It says something when people can really only remember incidents like the Senna non-finish or Derek Daly's acrobatics rather than great racing.

If it were dropped it would be less missed than people think.

There were some great overtaking moves this year! Those couple of dives down the inside at the hairpin, brave :)

I think the Monegasques might miss the revenue generated by the race visitors? The rest of us would definitely miss the spectacle..

Due to the limited possibility for overtaking it might be argued that barring accident or mechanical failure this race is frequently won in qualifying rather than the race. This is not to diminish the achievement of any winner as they still have to put in the fastest qualifying lap on a unique road circuit in the first place:thumb: or----------------- prevent any rival from doing so.:rolleyes:

...or do as they are told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom