Money Claim Online?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So if I installed facelift parts on my W204 and sold it described as a late 13' plate to some of the people on this thread, I guess they wouldn't moan about it! Lol

Ah, I must have missed that bit. What was his reason for declining?

It's this bit I find difficult to reconcile..

"I want to keep it; there's nothing wrong with it except the price. "

Had you not seen his other bikes would you still think this too expensive for the year?

You didn't miss it; knowing that I had done it, I simply didn't post about it earlier. He didn't decline as such; his first response was "Good afternoon, if you check the V5 or look up vehicle enquiry online you will see the date of first registration is 01/03/2013. Therefore the bike was first registered and used in 2013 which makes it a 2013 13 plate FJR1300".

My reply pointed out inter alia that it was sold specifically as a 2013 model, which it wasn't. He then simply did not reply, until another email came: "I have got the ball rolling at my end so will keep you posted. It might get a bit complicated with BCA and BTP but that's my issue."

I thought the price was very good indeed for a 2013 bike, but I'm no expert in the prices of ex-police bikes. Having seen the prices of his other bikes, I think the price would still be very reasonable for this bike if it was a 2013 model. Unfortunately, it is not a 2013 model; the genie is out of the bottle. I will be happy with a refund to leave a price more-or-less in line with the other 2010 models he was/is selling.

If he had taken it back, given me a full refund, and sold me one of the others at their asking price, I'd have been content. Sadly, he didn't, hence this thread.

So the spec and model is correct after all?

From what I can gather from earlier posts, Yamaha imported it in 2012, and sold new in 2013?

You were not expecting the later model, its just the not being first registered for a while thing that's the issue?

The issue is that I bought it on the the basis that it was, as advertised, a 2013 model. It isn't.

My initial thought was wrong too; I subsequently discovered there was a minor facelift in 2011 - cruise control, switchable engine modes, new instruments; so it could not be a 2012 model either.

Yes, and yes, though the price has now dropped by £200. He has another just like it, with 22K miles on it, up for £4790.

Both are identical to mine, except that they have the police rear seat hump where mine has a normal dual seat and a Givi rack. To be fair to the trader, I've calculated my notional selling price £200 higher to allow for that.

And except, of course, that their ad wording is 'Model Year: 2010' where mine was 'Model Year: 2013'.

You want to keep the bike. It's a pittance in terms of price difference. The seller may nave not have known it wasn't a later model bike due to date of registration.

Just enjoy the thing...

And except, of course, that their ad wording is 'Model Year: 2010' where mine was 'Model Year: 2013'.

That is what i was going to mention , is the advert not a standard eBay listing template where a seller inputs their vehicle details. If so the model year is a fixed part of the template and its wording is not changeable by the seller ?

It would have looked slightly suspect to a potential buyer if they had put model year 2010 but the bike was wearing a 2013 plate :dk:

Kenny

They're not the only ones, by the way. That is a 2010-only colour scheme, but Youles of Blackburn sold an identical bike recently as a 2013, and Kirkcaldy Kawasaki have one in stock, also advertised as a 2013. I've told Kirkcaldy Kawasaki, and told them how to check, but their ad is unchanged. Both are 2013-registered 2010 models, and both ads state they are 2013 models. Unless they do some digging, the owners will never know...

As regards the template, I don't know how classified ads work on eBay, but that is irrelevant; the bike is not as described. "Ebay made me do it" is not a defence.

Thanks Steve. That's a good idea. Next time you want to buy a car, come on round and I'll sell you one twice the age advertised, at the price for the age I advertise it for, and you can just enjoy the thing...:doh:

Last edited:
They're not the only ones, by the way. That is a 2010-only colour scheme, but Youles of Blackburn sold an identical bike recently as a 2013, and Kirkcaldy Kawasaki have one in stock, also advertised as a 2013. I've told Kirkcaldy Kawasaki, and told them how to check, but their ad is unchanged. Both are 2013-registered 2010 models, and both ads state they are 2013 models. Unless they do some digging, the owners will never know...

I take it these aren't some special police spec bikes that just came in that colour?

Seems odd that there are so many being sold by so many seemingly reputable bike dealers all around the country?

That is what i was going to mention , is the advert not a standard eBay listing template where a seller inputs their vehicle details. If so the model year is a fixed part of the template and its wording is not changeable by the seller ?

It would have looked slightly suspect to a potential buyer if they had put model year 2010 but the bike was wearing a 2013 plate :dk:

Kenny

Model year is a bit of an American thing.

I take it these aren't some special police spec bikes that just came in that colour?

Seems odd that there are so many being sold by so many seemingly reputable bike dealers all around the country?

I rather wondered if it was a police special myself, but I don't think so; the ex-police ones are fitted with the standard Yamaha touring kit - big mirror pods and extended lower fairings - but the Kirkcaldy and Blackburn ones are not.

I've checked the DVLA database for the latter two, and they, too, are shown as manufactured in 2013. I suspect Yamaha sold off the last remaining stocks of the old model cheaply, and the same mistake was made more than thrice in the data entry process. I'd be prepared to bet that there are more out there...

I remember repossessing 4 speed Ford Sierras with 5 speed gear nobs.

Happy days.

I remember repossessing 4 speed Ford Sierras with 5 speed gear nobs.

Happy days.

Surreal. Either that, or your first post was correct; you don't understand this thread...:D

On second reading, NOW I get it. Doh!

Surreal. Either that, or your first post was correct; you don't understand this thread...:D

On second reading, NOW I get it. Doh!

It was a bit obscure wasn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom