Monitors and DVI inputs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbjeppm

MB Enthusiast
Car
C207 E Coupe 350cdi, W166 ML 250 Cdi Sport, R171 SLK 350, Suzuki V Strom DL650
Hi All

I have had a good search around the web, but have not found anything so I thought I would ask here.

I bought a new LG 22inch monitor recently, to replace my Sony 14inch TFT.

Then I decided that as my graphics card ATI Radeon 9200 has a DVI and VGA out, I should be able to have a 2 monitor setup with extended desktop.

My original setup was with the Sony 14 inch tft, VGA from the graphics card to DVI (its only DVI on the input to the monitor)

The LG was VGA only, so now it is VGA to VGA.

I therefore bought a new DVI-D cable to connect DVI from the graphics card to the DVI input on the Sony 14 inch TFT.

Anyway I cannot get it to work.

With both monitors connected, the Sony does not come out of sleep mode.

If I disconnect the vga LG, then the Sony wakes up during the boot sequence, but when XP starts it switches back to sleep mode.

When trying to set the Sony as extended desktop in the XP display manager, after you press the apply button it loses the setting in the tick box.

Does anybody have any ideas? Is the cable right?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

I would start by installing the ATI Catayst software for the GPU. The ATI software will have a wizard for setting up dual screens (if the card supports it).

as Spike says, get the software for dual screen setup wizard.
the sony monitor is probably going into sleep mode because of incomptible resolution/refresh rate.
if you click on sony monitor, i assume monitor 2, and then change the resolution, and then apply, try that. but i find this is very buggy using windows drivers.

if you get the ati catalyst software this should enable you to set resolution/refresh rates independantly for each monitor.

try without the ATI catalyst software, as its fairly heavy on startup and uses memory, so if you can do it without the software great, otherwise install, and it should work.

maybe even try to set the resolution to a reasonable 1024x768 on monitor 1, and then extend the desktop to the second monitor to see if it works, n then on the second monitor, right click on the desktop, and change settings from there, and try it. i find it very hit n miss depending on the graphics card being used.

good luck.

Thanks guys I did install the ATI catalyst software last night when trying this, but it does not seem to recognise the monitor.

I am thinking that perhaps teh monitor has a setting to specify the input to DVI, which I will have a look at tonight.

Thanks again.

is there an advanced setting on the catalyst software to change the resolution independantly for both monitors?! have you tried lowering the default resolution, and see if the sony wakes up?
post back for results tonight.

Doh!!!!!! Doh !!!!!!!

Switch on the back of the monitor to switch between analog and digital input.

Thanks all, now I feel really stupid.:eek::eek:

lol! its alwasy the simple things we forget! easily done.
good spot though! glad its worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom