Monroe shock absorbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kid-jensen

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML 320 W164
Expecting my shocks (dampers) to fail the MOT.

From my youth I can remember the name Monroe. They are the cheapest of any shocks I can find (except Chinese No-Names), and seem to have a lot of
history (starterd 100 years ago).

Looking at around £75 for the W164, whereas OEM are about double that..

So, my question is, anyone used them? and what did you think?

I guess ANY shocks will be impressive for the first month or so, what I'm looking for are shocks that last as long as OEM, not that the OEM ones lastsd that long!

Had them fitted on my Subaru and were as good as the originals.

Shock horror MONROE are original on the W 212 E63

Thanks for the feedback...

As they are American company (though we can guess where they are made), and the ML is made in America, I guess there's a chance that they are OEM on the ML as well.

I might just give them a go. Can't see the point of paying more than double. Even if they only last 1/2 the mileage, they'll still see me out...

Can't see the point of paying more than double. Even if they only last 1/2 the mileage, they'll still see me out...

I can understand yourviewpoint BUT you have no evidence that a half price unit will last for precisely half the time of the higher priced one? [ might last longer- might degrade in 2 or 3 months] For a 2 ton car like the W164 decent shocks will make a huge difference to handling and braking. Changing them isn't easy either so unless you are doing this yourself remember to factor in two possible fitment labour charges for the cheaper units?

Grober, you also have no evidence the other way! They copuld outlast the OEM versions 2:1 or more (or less). After all, 60,000 miles life is not exactly responsible Green Engineering for an expensive part that can't be reconditioned.

I guess it comes down to making a decision amd seeing what happens.

Bearing in mind that Monroe have been around for 100 years, if they had a service life of 3 months, the word would have gotten around (as the Americans say) by now.

We've all heard the "get what you pay for" mantra, but that's just too simplistic.

Ther'es also the expression "any fool can pay too much" and "just by charging more, doesn't make it better"....

Maybe it won't fail the MOT, but I'll almost certainly be changing at least two of them before the winter...

Out of curiosity who made the originals you are taking off the car? Gauging long term shock performance is difficult. People drive around for years on shockers that are - to all intents and purposes - knackered - only fitting new when they start to leak or make mechanical noise-- but in the end your money your choice--- just remember to factor in fitting costs as part of the package.

There's nothing obvious on them to identify the Manufacturer.

Shame because I'm really not impressed by a shock that only lasts 60K miles. Pretty poor considering it doesn't have to control a live axle or other high-mass lump of suspension.

I would have thought 100K miles would be more reasonable, unless it's lead a hard life offroad.

Not very likely in Wembley!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom