More bucks for your bang

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fizzer

Congleton, Cheshire. UK and Scottsdale, Arizona, U
Car
L/R Discovery, BMW Z4 3.0, Dodge Charger R/T Daytona (now gone) 2011 Mercedes GL450
Finally decided to replace the nearside front wheel after about 8 months of annoying vibration in the steering wheel. I hit a pothole a couple of months after buying my car and I thought it had knocked it out of balance. I got sick of it after a month or two though and took it into "Ken the tyre man" at the dealers for him to check it out, turns out there was a flat spot and he tried to balance it out. Wasnt a great success though, ok up to about 60 then got progressively worse until 80 - 90 when there was a hand numbing tingle in the steering wheel and a distinct droning noise.
Upshot of this was a bill today for 1 nearside 18" AMG £445. Needless to say the hole was filled in shortly after I hit it :mad:. So if you see a black CLS slaloming around Cheshire that'll be me avoiding the very many potholes still remaining. :(

Last edited:
That's the risk of big wheels and rubber band tyres, but why didn't you just have the wheel straightened at a refurbishers?

Never had any experience of them tbh. Just seemed easier to order wheel, drive in, drive out half an hour later. I think I would always be wondering about whether it was done properly at a refurbishers. So I suppose the answer is my own peace of mind (and possibly a certain degree of laziness in researching the refurb :rolleyes:).
yes, I know...shouldnt now be whining about cost of wheel (lol)

I have the same on the CLK after my wife hit a massive pothole, been keeping my eyes open for a wheel on eBay.

Surely straightening at a refurbisher would weaken the wheel no?

S

Refurbing properly should leave wheel at least 99% of the original in both shape and strength.
If done correctly they progressively straighten faults rather than just hammering away till straight.
If memory serves they use heat and pressure in relatively small doses to get the job done. (edit: you've heard of heat treated metals right?)
Question is does your local refurber know what they are doing and can you trust them lol.
So that's back to square one then!!!

A reputable repair shop (normally the one with only one guy working there) should be able to help. I have a good one locally just outside of Carlisle. But not sure of others elsewhere.
Hope this helps

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom