more carbon removal and clean up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

unclebuck

Car
CLS 320 /08
Pulled the front egr pipe and the mounting as well, decided that while the weather was nice and sunny ( didn't bloody last) i would get this done.

Removed all the relative connectors and bolts as usual, need to get a new oring for the aluminium pipe that connects to the turbo, it was old and snapped.

The throttle housing and egr pipe were stinking and needed an exterior clean, and then i got to see the insides.

The egr pipe was coated with carbon build up and needed to be cleaned out, the dual pipe mounting was really bad and also needed cleaning out.

This took most of the day to get cleaned up, it was stubborn to removem i used various wire brushes, and a screwdriver to scrape clumps out, then spraying with a cleaner and putting some wore wool in and scrubbing the insides. I then got the pressure washer out and blasted it clean, and repeated as neccesary.

In the throttle plastic tube, i made sure i removed the two sensors and the throttle body from it and put them safe. The throttle body/flap needed cleaning and that was also done ( sorry no pics)

I definately need to get the intake manifolds off and cleaned up if this was a sign of build up in there.

Before and after pics as follows ;)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 32
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 31
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 31
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 33
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 34
A good soak in diesel overnight will shift that

good job.

Just had flashbacks of de gunking the old ML270 a few years ago. Satisfying job though isn't it?

Just had flashbacks of de gunking the old ML270 a few years ago. Satisfying job though isn't it?
yes, it was't an easy job, large hands in small areas to get things out. But to be able to get rid of that crap was good, also it gives me insight into the condition of the inlet manifolds. I will be taking a week off work to have them done, will upgrade the swirl flap rods with the aluminium ones, new motor, oil cooler seals and a clean in there. Also going to replace the turbo i noticed a little wear on the vanes, the spindle is solid no movement but its worth doing now, I will get a replacement cartridge and fitting kit and re build it. Lot of little jobs to do when the weather finally improves!! Nothing like a clean engine for spotting issues and making MOT time easier for the tester.

Anyone done this or similar on a 211 V6 diesel? My E320 keeps throwing up a code for insufficient flow on the EGR. Had a new EGR fitted but still get the code. Had a quick look under the bonnet but couldn’t really make out any obvious pipes to play around with.

Anyone done this or similar on a 211 V6 diesel? My E320 keeps throwing up a code for insufficient flow on the EGR. Had a new EGR fitted but still get the code. Had a quick look under the bonnet but couldn’t really make out any obvious pipes to play around with.
The op is doing it on a V6 om642 diesel the same as yours :cool:

if you have had a new egr valve fitted then best to check the front egr pipe also take off the throttle assembly pipes that it links to, i expect they are clogged up. I wish i had taken step by step pictures and made a how to thread. Perhaps in the summer i will take it all off again and check it over, do it then.

Unclebuck . Genuine Question : what are you going to do to stop it happening again ? Is there anything you can do ?
I am no expert by far, i am just saving money by doing repairs and preventative repairs myself, I am learning as i go. I did work on my last car (CLK 220 CDI) before i got the cls. I have to admit i do enjoy working on the car (when its not bloody raining!!). From what i have seen online some people fit oil catch cans and also bypass the egr ( i think thats right) however it is not something i am looking to do.

I always wanted to get a cls, the biggest issue for me is the lack of service info, this is whats making me go over the car. It went on a diagnostic last week, omly things it found were the glow plug on cylinder 1 faulty, and the exhaust pressure sensor fault.

The heated mirros showed a fault also, so i will check that if i get time this weekend also.

jobs to do:

replace the exhaust pressure sensor this weekend
change the glow plugs this weekend

i need to replace one of the front tie rods so i will order both at the end of the month along with some front and rear brembo discs and pads etc.

Other than that the car is in really good condition and was well looked after by the previous owner.

Planned jobs are to remove the exhaust inlet manifolds, strip and vapour blast them and fit new swirl flap link arms, motor etc and oil cooloer seals.
Then have the injectors pulled and cleaned up.

The car should be good for quite some time then.

Don't quote me on this and a proper mechanic might be along soon to give us the real story.

Some cars (no necessarily your car) will quite happily go through life with one (or more) glow plugs not functioning properly and not throw up a code as the car can start up with the remaining plugs working.

But....when the ECU ask for a re gen it interrogates the glow plug circuit only to find one or two not operational and canceller the re gen. = a engine full of carbon build up over time.

Like I said I have no idea if this is the case with your car.

Don't quote me on this and a proper mechanic might be along soon to give us the real story.

Some cars (no necessarily your car) will quite happily go through life with one (or more) glow plugs not functioning properly and not throw up a code as the car can start up with the remaining plugs working.

But....when the ECU ask for a re gen it interrogates the glow plug circuit only to find one or two not operational and canceller the re gen. = a engine full of carbon build up over time.

Like I said I have no idea if this is the case with your car.

I don't think the exhaust manifolds have ever been off this car, and nothing in the limited service notes about glow plug changes.

only the one glow plug shows an error, its logical that its about time for one or some to go bad, I dare say i can change just the one and everything will be ok however, prudence being done I will change them all with the new Beru plugs I just got in. The relay I can grab from Mercedes if I need to.

After cleaning the egr valve, pipe and the throttle pipes out of carbon build up its fair to say the exhaust manifolds need to be pulled and cleaned out, while doing that check the swirl flap link as it probably needs changing also (upgrade to the newer metal ones).

Fit a new swirl flap motor and also the oil cooler seals ( not leaking but why wait) also the turbo can be given the once over.

This along with new gaskets, seals etc will give me better all round performance and better even slightly fuel economy.

I have considered getting a pair of used exhaust manifolds and getting them done first and then fitting those to the car as it will save time, then clean my originals up and put either refit them or put them away spare or sell them on.

Once these are done all should be good and should I decide to sell the car I will be happy knowing that I can tell the new owner that all of that has been dealt with.

Update: came in from work and found the delivery Santa man had been ;) a new turbo from Essex Turbos with a gasket kit included, my new swirl flap motor OEM, and a full om642 gasket kit from mercedes also the special fuel rail torque socket set I have been waiting for.

Only things I need to get now are:
Turbo to exhaust copper coated bolts
New inlet manifold bolts
Egr valve seal
Boost pressure sensor ( I am assuming there is one fitted, might as well change it anyway)
New Aluminium swirl flap arms and clips
MAF Bat wing

I am thinking of getting a new core for my old turbo when it comes off, stripping it down and cleaning the variable vanes assembly etc and installing the new core and then selling it for the cost of the new core, just to help someone else who may be having issues, pass a little good on if you know what I mean.

Once all of this is ready I can then put the car in the drive and get on with the task of removing the turbo, inlet manifolds, swirl motor and change the oil cooler seals and give it a good bloody clean in there before re-assembly.

I wish i had a nice garage to do this in, but I dont so i am going to grab one of those pop up gazebos to go over the car while i work on it and keep the rain off if need be.

Pics coming up later with costs and links as usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom