More dubious research findings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
BBC News - Passive smoking 'doubles hearing loss risk among teens'

First of all, I don't smoke, but....

Surely teen ears are at greater risk of damage from ipods and other MP3 players running at hazardous decibel levels directly into the ear?

Should there be a equally vigorous "downer" on such equipment?

What about the dangers of secondhand music too?

Second hand music? From charity shops? :)

Without knowing where these teenagers were exposed to the smoke it's very hard to give credence to the findings. I suspect another example of extracting 2nd order data from a study not designed specifically to look at that symptom.

Statistics is an amazingly powerful analytical tool but as anyone who uses it in research knows, it can be used to 'prove' just about anything!

I can't remember where I read it but a teenager listening a certain decibel for a certain period in one sitting will permanently damage their ears.

Keep doing it and it gets worse.

Hearing is a lot more delicate than we like to think.

IIRC, riding a motorbike at 70mph for 15 minutes without ear plugs is enough to cause permanent damage.

I reckon "leakage" (noise pollution) from earphones is minimal. Annoying - yes. Likely to cause damage to 3rd parties? Doubt it.

I would be interested to see if the study took into account lifestyles... i.e. teens who smoke may be more likely to goto concerts/raves and as such be exposed to extreme auditory feedback...
M

I grew up in a smoke filled environment. Both parents smoked heavily. Curiously I have always hated cigarette smoke and have never been tempted. I attended many drag racing events and rock concerts and, even to this day like listening to music at "realistic" sound levels.

I retired 12mths ago and as part of my exit process had an audiometry assessment (my employer likes to cover themselves against any litigation later in life!). My hearing acuity was considered above average (don't tell Mrs WN ;) )

Statistics

Considering all the tobacco and coal smoke people were subjected to in the past and the polluted air breathed, it's a wonder anyone is still alive.

Any child of the 50/60's must be lucky to be able to hear anything.

Eh? Sorry, what's that you say??? :dk:

Apparently also hazardous to be the owners of a newspaper , as you may suffer from "corporate deafness".:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom