More exhaust pops and crackle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am not convinced that crackle and pop says anything more than "Look at me, I have a small one. " Sorry to have to be blunt, but there is a world of diff twixt the rumble and roar of a good V8 or V12...and what any little twerp in a lime green ST can do.

If you were crackling and popping anywhere near a peaceful beauty spot or at night then I would be the neighbour rearranging your dental work. If you kept it to the open road then maybe, just, possibly I might let you go on your way with just a mere sneer in your general direction. But am not sure that's how it works as from the Pobody description of the technicalities, it happens when you lift off..is that right...

Anyhow, don't bovver...spending the money or f'ing off most right thinking peeps...and spend the money doing something more interesting...like take an evening class in Civics maybe!

Obvs just one opinion but having suffered the Birmingham 'parades' and late night city burn ups am not a sympathetic soul.

Hi! Thank you for your oppinion! I dont have a small weiner at all, neither I am not socially weak/awkward person. I also do a lot of bodybuilding (not for the looks, theres a lot more to it) and powerlifting so I am not trying to boost my ego or anything with exhaust :)
I already removed 2 cats of total 4 and the exaust is even louder now (so pretty much straight pipe now). I just love cars in general and I love when they make good sounds and as a young person (21) I find it very pleasing to drive windows down during summer and to hear the magnificent v8 rumble :) I just wanted to hear the pops and bangs even more (such as bmw 335i can be tuned to easily)

Cheers!

Hi! Thank you for your oppinion! I dont have a small weiner at all, neither I am not socially weak/awkward person. I also do a lot of bodybuilding (not for the looks, theres a lot more to it) and powerlifting so I am not trying to boost my ego or anything with exhaust :)
I already removed 2 cats of total 4 and the exaust is even louder now (so pretty much straight pipe now). I just love cars in general and I love when they make good sounds and as a young person (21) I find it very pleasing to drive windows down during summer and to hear the magnificent v8 rumble :) I just wanted to hear the pops and bangs even more (such as bmw 335i can be tuned to easily)

Cheers!

WOW. I had forgotten about this thread.

1. You have me beat by V2 and a few HP. Of course I am jealous. I would love a V8 and hope to trade up one day. BUT, jealousy is not the issue here young man.

2. At age 21 it is science that a male brain is rarely fully developed. That's a reason why teens and early twenties boys like you make bad decisions and do stoopid unsociable things. You may otherwise be a nice young man, but this may be your blind spot i.e. consideration for others.

3. I am sure bodybuilding and powerlifting are very intellectual pursuits, and I have nothing against them. Well done! Now take that discipline and apply it here. First you have been told it is probably not good for your engine to SCP. Second think! Are you in a built up area at any time of day or night? Keep your SCP to your young and foolish self! Leave it till when you are out in the countryside! No one else about. OK? Or on the track, if you can drive properly.

4. Ask the insurers. Your age group are the worst for accidents because you are young and reckless. Please, do not be reckless with others needs and feelings! Especially at this difficult time ok.

5. By way, I know people in Estonia so I will have them keep an eye out for you. Can't be that many CLK 500s in the country. If you disturb anyone unnecessarily I may hear about it, and their friend Mr Policeman may come knocking for disturbing the peace.

Look, enjoy your lovely car! Just think, if you were 70 and you passed by blaring your exhaust notes, would you be happy? I doubt it! So there's your civics lesson for free :) You don't have to say thank you! :) BUT, I do hope you get the message. What you want is not the most important thing in the World if it is at the expense of others peaceful enjoyment of that World. Simples see. Take it or leave it.

WOW. I had forgotten about this thread.

1. You have me beat by V2 and a few HP. Of course I am jealous. I would love a V8 and hope to trade up one day. BUT, jealousy is not the issue here young man.

2. At age 21 it is science that a male brain is rarely fully developed. That's a reason why teens and early twenties boys like you make bad decisions and do stoopid unsociable things. You may otherwise be a nice young man, but this may be your blind spot i.e. consideration for others.

3. I am sure bodybuilding and powerlifting are very intellectual pursuits, and I have nothing against them. Well done! Now take that discipline and apply it here. First you have been told it is probably not good for your engine to SCP. Second think! Are you in a built up area at any time of day or night? Keep your SCP to your young and foolish self! Leave it till when you are out in the countryside! No one else about. OK? Or on the track, if you can drive properly.

4. Ask the insurers. Your age group are the worst for accidents because you are young and reckless. Please, do not be reckless with others needs and feelings! Especially at this difficult time ok.

5. By way, I know people in Estonia so I will have them keep an eye out for you. Can't be that many CLK 500s in the country. If you disturb anyone unnecessarily I may hear about it, and their friend Mr Policeman may come knocking for disturbing the peace.

Look, enjoy your lovely car! Just think, if you were 70 and you passed by blaring your exhaust notes, would you be happy? I doubt it! So there's your civics lesson for free :) You don't have to say thank you! :) BUT, I do hope you get the message. What you want is not the most important thing in the World if it is at the expense of others peaceful enjoyment of that World. Simples see. Take it or leave it.
Jeez man, cool (from a 63 year old who would also like to release more noise).

OK the response to a 9 month old thread may be a little harsh from some, but the OP has pretty much removed most of his exhaust system from his car. The W209 CLK was hardly a sports model to start with, more like a cruiser it's a 300bhp V8, hardly an AMG GTS so trying (in vain no doubt) to make it sound like one is a bit lame.

OK the response to a 9 month old thread may be a little harsh from some, but the OP has pretty much removed most of his exhaust system from his car. The W209 CLK was hardly a sports model to start with, more like a cruiser it's a 300bhp V8, hardly an AMG GTS so trying (in vain no doubt) to make it sound like one is a bit lame.
The 5 litre M113 can sound wonderful...leave him alone. Jeez, you guys should get out more ...oh err, you can't.

The 5 litre M113 can sound wonderful...leave him alone. Jeez, you guys should get out more ...oh err, you can't.
I can get out, I am off to Wickes just now to collect a timber and hardware order for a work project. Just got the email and text saying it's ready for collection outside the store.

P.S I have a 5.3 M113 V8 and would possibly consider gutting the standard secondary cat's to 'improve' the sound but wouldn't dream of going any further. Pointless. If controllable noise (not power) is the aim, fit drop outs (Zoomies) , Kindigit design supply them for US$450 a pair.

I can get out, I am off to Wickes just now to collect a timber and hardware order for a work project. Just got the email and text saying it's ready for collection outside the store.

P.S I have a 5.3 M113 V8 and would possibly consider gutting the standard secondary cat's to 'improve' the sound but wouldn't dream of going any further. Pointless. If controllable noise (not power) is the aim, fit drop outs (Zoomies) , Kindigit design supply them for US$450 a pair.
I know you have one. Dropouts are a good idea OP.

Fit bigger exhaust tips to amplify the sound like a megaphone

I always drive quietly around the elderly and veeery slow when children nearby (riding with bikes on sides of streets) or when people are walking their pets (dogs, cats, maybe even fishes??).

I already made myself X-pipe and quad exhaust amg tips so no need to get larger tips (will not look nice)

Yes, CLK 500 back in 2003-2009 was like E43 coupe today. It was a bit sportier version of the lineup back then. They didnt even have any sporty mercedeses back then like we have gt-r, gt-s, sls etc today (except maybe sl and clk gtr). Other

All in all I drive very safe and try not to get into accidents. Already had one 3 years ago when I first got my license and I hope I learned enough from my mistakes :)

Was thinking if something like this is possible:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I mean its 63 and a different engine yes but my point is about the crackles and pops

I'm assuming you don't do any distance in your CLK with a completely straight through exhaust? ;) Pops & crackles can be introduced by having a loose fitting exhaust, especially nearer the engine. Although then you're into the dodgy area of carbon monoxide finding it's way into the cabin.

Jeez man, cool (from a 63 year old who would also like to release more noise).

I am cool as :cool:, but thanks for concern..

I hope as a grown up (I hope! :) you get and approve of my key points:

1. Possibly not good for car.
2. Can be very anti-social in the wrong, un-thinking hands.
3. If absolutely must, do think where you deploy and if near me expect a V sign minimum...

I think all calm and entirely reasonable. No?

I am cool as :cool:, but thanks for concern..

I hope as a grown up (I hope! :) you get and approve of my key points:

1. Possibly not good for car.
2. Can be very anti-social in the wrong, un-thinking hands.
3. If absolutely must, do think where you deploy and if near me expect a V sign minimum...

I think all calm and entirely reasonable. No?
He's in Estonia...so it would need to be very loud to annoy you.

I always drive quietly around the elderly and veeery slow when children nearby (riding with bikes on sides of streets) or when people are walking their pets (dogs, cats, maybe even fishes??).

I already made myself X-pipe and quad exhaust amg tips so no need to get larger tips (will not look nice)

Yes, CLK 500 back in 2003-2009 was like E43 coupe today. It was a bit sportier version of the lineup back then. They didnt even have any sporty mercedeses back then like we have gt-r, gt-s, sls etc today (except maybe sl and clk gtr). Other

All in all I drive very safe and try not to get into accidents. Already had one 3 years ago when I first got my license and I hope I learned enough from my mistakes :)

I am delighted to hear that. To those of you who think I am some old crank, you probably have not suffered from the clowns in some towns who seem to think more noise makes their tadgers bigger...like all such extension attempts, very medically unsound my Doc friend assures me i.e. doesn't bloody work...makes them look like little winkers instead.

So keep up the good work, enjoy the car and stay safe and sound in these weird times (see what I did there:) SAFE and SOUND :)

All best to Estonia! Nice place!

He's in Estonia...so it would need to be very loud to annoy you.

:):):) Like it!

Small flaw in theory..I have friends and family there, so my concern for them, and of course all who suffer anywhere from the not so mighty roaring of mice...still, can't escape your good humour! All best! Stay safe! Drive well, and not too noisily when ovvers are 'bout..deal? :)

Harsh? umm, tried to make fairly logical and at same time hammer home point to all, not just the poster that it is not all about the big I AM..thassall..if came across as harsh..maybe sometimes a tad of forceful rhetoric is what is required to get a point across when it is clearly unarguable, yet people still argue. I give great credit to the OP for his measured and reasonable answer to my provocation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom