More exhaust pops and crackle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChristopherLembra

Car
CLS 55 AMG (current); CLK 500 (sold)
Hi!
I own w209 clk 500 and have deleted my muffler and resonator, also modified exhaust to quad pipe exhaust. The car pops and crackles a bit when i take my foot off the gas at some rpms and when i slightly press the pedal after letting rpm drop. But the pops are veeeery quiet. Any ideas how to make them louder? Ive read that downpipe does the job maybe? Does anyone have earlier experience with same engine w211 or some other model?

Thank You!

open the window (i'll wager the pops and bangs are louder outside the car)

or remove some sound deadening from inside the car

or peg some playing cards on your wheel spokes

Haha the cards are already there and i mostly ride all windows down (w209 has pillarless windows)

Get a deliberately wonky fuel map that dumps excessive fuel into the exhaust system while retarding the ignition to lean things out. Just don't complain about destroyed cats and more if it goes wrong.
I have my mechanics who pimp my car for me, can you tell me a bit more about that method u told me? So that my guys can understand what to do

I have my mechanics who pimp my car for me, can you tell me a bit more about that method u told me? So that my guys can understand what to do
Yes. - When they map it, add fuel back in to the map where the throttle is closed (or light), but the engine isn't under load.

Normally this part of the map is fairly lean because that saves fuel, but on a race car you might be using the fuel to cool the bores when you're not on the power. - Because it's not rich, the unburnt fuel goes out the exhaust and causes lots of noise when it ignites on a hot pipe.

If you also retard the ignition, then it will light the fuel as it leaves the exhaust valve and the flames will come out of your tail pipes.

SoundRacer X save yourself a fortune and get one of these. no fuel wastage , but you can enjoy the delightful v8 or v12 song your car is longing to sing ...

Loosen all the exhaust clamps, drill some holes in the pipes and get a gumshield for when a neighbour eventually lands one on you.

I am not convinced that crackle and pop says anything more than "Look at me, I have a small one. " Sorry to have to be blunt, but there is a world of diff twixt the rumble and roar of a good V8 or V12...and what any little twerp in a lime green ST can do.

If you were crackling and popping anywhere near a peaceful beauty spot or at night then I would be the neighbour rearranging your dental work. If you kept it to the open road then maybe, just, possibly I might let you go on your way with just a mere sneer in your general direction. But am not sure that's how it works as from the Pobody description of the technicalities, it happens when you lift off..is that right...

Anyhow, don't bovver...spending the money or f'ing off most right thinking peeps...and spend the money doing something more interesting...like take an evening class in Civics maybe!

Obvs just one opinion but having suffered the Birmingham 'parades' and late night city burn ups am not a sympathetic soul.

As long as it is legal, feel free to do it. dont let threats of forum members punching you in your mouth put you off. In fact, that lacks class completely and is worse than little mite revving away blissfully in his 3 cylinder ST.

As long as it is legal, feel free to do it. dont let threats of forum members punching you in your mouth put you off. In fact, that lacks class completely and is worse than little mite revving away blissfully in his 3 cylinder ST.

Apologies for any offence caused but I am not entirely sure it is legal. First it is a distinct public nuisance in the hands of twots, and second I thought there was some sound level issues too. Do you really wish to blow the eardrums of my Granny? Or do you take care to only crackle and pop when no Grannies in earshot?

What about parents trying to get their babies to sleep on a summer night with the a/c on i.e. the window open? Are we starting to get the point? Should I add dogs who do not like loud banging? Or is this such an important feature to make your willy bigger that other people do not matter?

There are people with lovely V8s and V12s who do not feel the need to wave their tiddlers by making so much damned stupid noise. If you keep it to the racetrack I would be entirely happy as we can all enjoy a noisy day at the races and wear earplugs if we choose. Or will you put up your times and routes so all can prepare in advance not to be disturbed?

BCSD...Now BUNSD. Work it out...:)

I am not convinced that crackle and pop says anything more than "Look at me, I have a small one. " Sorry to have to be blunt, but there is a world of diff twixt the rumble and roar of a good V8 or V12...and what any little twerp in a lime green ST can do.

If you were crackling and popping anywhere near a peaceful beauty spot or at night then I would be the neighbour rearranging your dental work. If you kept it to the open road then maybe, just, possibly I might let you go on your way with just a mere sneer in your general direction. But am not sure that's how it works as from the Pobody description of the technicalities, it happens when you lift off..is that right...

Anyhow, don't bovver...spending the money or f'ing off most right thinking peeps...and spend the money doing something more interesting...like take an evening class in Civics maybe!

Obvs just one opinion but having suffered the Birmingham 'parades' and late night city burn ups am not a sympathetic soul.
Cringe.

Apologies for any offence caused but I am not entirely sure it is legal. First it is a distinct public nuisance in the hands of twots, and second I thought there was some sound level issues too. Do you really wish to blow the eardrums of my Granny? Or do you take care to only crackle and pop when no Grannies in earshot?

What about parents trying to get their babies to sleep on a summer night with the a/c on i.e. the window open? Are we starting to get the point? Should I add dogs who do not like loud banging? Or is this such an important feature to make your willy bigger that other people do not matter?

There are people with lovely V8s and V12s who do not feel the need to wave their tiddlers by making so much damned stupid noise. If you keep it to the racetrack I would be entirely happy as we can all enjoy a noisy day at the races and wear earplugs if we choose. Or will you put up your times and routes so all can prepare in advance not to be disturbed?

BCSD...Now BUNSD. Work it out...:)

For every post like the above you make on a motorcycle forum, I'll buy you a pint ...

I couldn't give a flying either way but least you have a "proper" engine.

Try getting pops and crackles on a clk220 diesel which is what 99% of them seem to be lately :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom