More home entertainment than PC but

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
I have a Sky satellite which was disconnected when my house was renovated. The TV is now in a position far away from the original satellite connection and would require a very lengthy and unsightly run of cable. I wondered if there were such things as Bluetooth or similar connectors you could attach to the satellite cable and the SKY box to feed the signal without using cable (co-axial).

I have a Sky satellite which was disconnected when my house was renovated. The TV is now in a position far away from the original satellite connection and would require a very lengthy and unsightly run of cable. I wondered if there were such things as Bluetooth or similar connectors you could attach to the satellite cable and the SKY box to feed the signal without using cable (co-axial).

Why don't you pull the cable back through to the exterior, disconnect and run a new cable to the new position? All external nothing internal to see

Why don't you pull the cable back through to the exterior, disconnect and run a new cable to the new position? All external nothing internal to see

Yes - thought of that. My house is semi-detached, and the sitting room is right by next door. So the cable will have to go about 60m around one side, along the next and then back to the other side of the sitting room. It can't be buried and would be a bugger to conceal.

It is the default choice though if I can't get a sensible option like Will's aerial to work.

Send the cable through the loft to exit on the side of the house you want it.

Yes - thought of that. My house is semi-detached, and the sitting room is right by next door. So the cable will have to go about 60m around one side, along the next and then back to the other side of the sitting room. It can't be buried and would be a bugger to conceal.

It is the default choice though if I can't get a sensible option like Will's aerial to work.

60m...and that's just one side? Is this a semi detached castle??

Very long ladder, large me and gravity not compatible.

Just ask Olly or Nick Froome on the wisdom of letting me loose on anything DIY...

Send the cable through the loft to exit on the side of the house you want it.

+1 - this is a good / the best bet.

I wouldn't recommend any form of wireless solution, especially if you have (or want High Definition pictures)

You can run audio and video over either HDMI or CAT5 cable and this is often how multi-room systems are put together so the SKY (or other source) box can be in a different room / hidden out of sight.

I've never tried this myself, but this piece of kit looks to offer what you want.

Audio/Video Sender Kit 2727 : Wireless Video Senders : Maplin Electronics

Best wait for someone else to confirm though before buying

edit: read the Q&A for further details on what it can/can not do: Audio/Video Sender Kit 2727 : Wireless Video Senders : Maplin Electronics
That system probably won't work because its prone to interference and hasn't the bandwidth to transmit HD irrc. In addition the LNB [ little amplifier at the focus of the dish] is powered via the co-axial cable from the satellite box. and so you would require a separate power supply. Best stick to a cabled system. Two possible choices 1. reroute cables to the existing dish or 2 possibly reposition the old dish or replace it with a new one [probably as cheap! ]
These guys are experts in distributed systems hardware and very helpful. If anyone can suggest a solution they can! Keene Retail Ltd, Electronics making AV happen, Products and accessories for video, photography, home cinema and AV

Whenever we've done any form of refurb (or any family members have talked about doing anything) I'm always the first one to pipe up and say have you thought about laying cable for AV kit, surround sound speakers, projectors etc. Best to lay cable whilst floor boards are up, plaster board is going in or walls etc. being modified.

+1 - this is a good / the best bet.

I wouldn't recommend any form of wireless solution, especially if you have (or want High Definition pictures)

You can run audio and video over either HDMI or CAT5 cable and this is often how multi-room systems are put together so the SKY (or other source) box can be in a different room / hidden out of sight.

Sounds like the best way to be honest as I do have HD. I'll have to get someone in then as working at heights is not my metier.

Whenever we've done any form of refurb (or any family members have talked about doing anything) I'm always the first one to pipe up and say have you thought about laying cable for AV kit, surround sound speakers, projectors etc. Best to lay cable whilst floor boards are up, plaster board is going in or walls etc. being modified.

I didn't do that and put a whacking great woodburner right in the way.

As I have a full house at Christmas, I need to get the telly going to keep the young and old out of the way.

Sounds like the best way to be honest as I do have HD. I'll have to get someone in then as working at heights is not my metier.

I seem to recall you're near me in South Bucks? If it helps I can dig out the details of the people that did my parents house in Farnham Common. IIRC they're based in High Wycombe.

That would be very kind! I am indeed in South Bucks.

I didn't do that and put a whacking great woodburner right in the way.

As I have a full house at Christmas, I need to get the telly going to keep the young and old out of the way.

Now that did make me laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom