More New Info On Mobilolife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
MORE NEW INFO ON MOBILOLIFE
Recently I posted some new information on MobiloLife and in response to questions said I would seek further clarification from my high level source in Mercedes. I now have this and set it out below. For completeness, and to save save members reading through pages of older stuff to find this information, I am posting here all the new information that I have. I hope administrators may consider making this thread a ‘sticky’ for a while as the info affects all owners of Mercedes cars and their has been much confusion about just what cover is available.

There is -or has been recently- an error on Mercedes website and in some of their literature saying that punctures and other "minor mishaps" (losing the key, running out of fuel etc) are only covered for two years by MobiloLife on cars sold since 2004. I have raised this with Mercedes at a high level and can now confirm the correct position.

MB Germany only give a two year guarantee on cars purchased and registered in Europe (ex UK). And two years MobiloLife cover for minor mishaps.

In the UK the situation is different: we have a 36 month guarantee, of which two years are covered from the factory and one extra year is paid for by MB UK.

When changes were made to MobiloLife a few years back (2004?), for cars purchased and registered in the UK, MB Germany removed 'minor mishaps' cover except for the first two years. BUT MB UK added a third year (to match the guarantee period).

This third year is not clear from the website (but it will soon be made clear) and I have sent our threads to Mercedes to show the confusion and have had this situation confirmed by a director of MB UK.

He says: -
"To address your concerns with regards to "minor mishaps" cover, which includes attendance for punctures, the situation remains as per our earlier conversation. The European offer from the
factory is for two years only, but for all vehicles purchased and
registered in the UK we add a further year to provide a total of three years "minor mishap" cover.

I have looked at the website and will ensure that this is made clearer in the future."

VEHICLES FIRST REGISTERED AFTER JAN 1st 2004

I also raised with Mercedes the confusion about whether if FullMBSH had lapsed could MobiloLife be reactivated by returning to getting services done at an MB dealer. Some have been told yes by dealers and others have been told no. He confirms that it can be reactivated even after a significant gap: -
"It is true that for vehicles registered after 1st January 2004, you can re-enter the Mobilo programme at anytime by having your vehicle serviced at an Authorised Mercedes-Benz repairer and whilst I understand concerns at this statement we feel that the more we can do to encourage lapsed customers back into our network the better for all concerned and we do not wish the lack of Mobilo cover to be a barrier to that eventuality."

VEHICLES FIRST REGISTERED BEFORE JAN 1st 2004

I said I would try to get the position for older vehicles clarified as well. The Director from Mercedes has given me this answer: -

“For vehicles pre-January 2004 there seems to be some confusion, which hopefully my earlier replies haven't caused. These vehicles are entitled to 30 years MobiloLife cover for technical breakdowns only, provided they have a continual Mercedes-Benz Service History. Any break in this history results in exclusion from the programme with no opportunity to buy back in.

The Minor Mishaps cover for these vehicles was limited to four years only and not for the 30 years you quote, and with no opportunity to extend cover. I apologise if this was not clear before.”

I hope members find this helpful.

THE FUTURE.

I have sent Mercedes links to all the recent threads on this site and the other main one. I have made clear my view that many members highly value ‘minor mishaps’ cover and that some way should be found to extend this cover beyond the three years currently available, even if a charge has to be made. Many people going to business or other important meetings do not want to get filthy changing wheels, many with bad backs or other ailments cannot change wheels, and many members wives/partners, daughters and mistresses (mine included) neither want to, nor know how to change a wheel properly. If we have to join the AA to get this kind of cover a major part of the reason for staying in Mobilo with FMBSH will be lost. I realise Mercedes can give no commitments at this stage but I get the firm impression they are at least considering whether there is a case for some method of extending Mobilo beyond the current 3 year maximum. Let us hope they come up with a satisfactory solution.

It's not just about getting dirty. The last time I called the AA out to change a flat tyre I was on the M5 with a barrier preventing me from getting further off the Hard Shoulder and a off-side blow out. Not love or money was tempting me to go and fight with a wheel brace with the lorrys ploughing past.

David

I have learned something here - I thought it covered all eventualities just like *AA cover - if not I dont really see any value in it at all....The chances of a blow out etc are far greater than a mechanical failure - so it looks as though I will be having to look for extra cover and this doesnt endear me to MB at all - I always discounted back the service costs by the *AA savings - without this saving what value is Mobilo to me? a Full MB service record is good for resale - but if the new owner wants Mobilo he only has to have a service to "buy back" in. It looks as though after January 2009 I will be seriously considering going elsewhere ...the savings may well pay for proper full breakdown coverage.

* or any other breakdown service...

Thanks for all the work you've put into clarifying this for us all Hawk20.

I too see less value in Mobilolife if minor mishaps are excluded beyond year four. Like Crockers, I offset the cost of using the main dealer for service and repaires (and other considerations) against the potential saving due to not requiring breakdown cover through the likes of the AA, RAC, etc.

If I'm not getting a complete service from Mobilolife then I will have to look into alternative services, which adds to the cost, not offsets it. Both of our cars, have just entered year five.

Until now, in my mind at least, it had been part of the added value associated with driving a Mercedes. The little extra something.

Unfortunately I suspect this may be seen by some as glossy veneer marketing covering up a product/service that doesn't match the expectations of the customer, which would be a shame.

However, I would like to think that Mercedes UK consider whether they should change this aspect of the service, to included minor mishaps.

Whilst not knocinh what everyone is saying (because I agree) our Renault cover for a car less than one year old does not include 'non car defects', although it can be topped up cheapley. At least MB do cover these issues for some time.

David

Mercedes seems to be piling onthe agony of ownership. How times have changed for MB owners:unlike in the past we now have poorly made, lower quality materials used,boot leaking,overcomplicated cars and expensive dealer service to contend with.Now I find Mobilo isnt what I thought it was.So even Mercedes now dont have faith in their cars or provide extra value add!
Is someone up there telling me to move away from the marque?!

....Disappointed....

As a strange co-incidence I have today had a call from my bank and they are offering me - Travel Insurance (world wide), RAC for me and spouse - UK & Europe, Home repair (emergency cover), Airport Lounge Access (6 visits a year), Free mobile phone cover, Credit card insurance, free stockbroking costs, all for a total price of £17.50 a month....If they can offer this - MB can offer free "minor incidence" cover on their Mobilio plans...:rock:

As a strange co-incidence I have today had a call from my bank and they are offering me - Travel Insurance (world wide), RAC for me and spouse - UK & Europe, Home repair (emergency cover), Airport Lounge Access (6 visits a year), Free mobile phone cover, Credit card insurance, free stockbroking costs, all for a total price of £17.50 a month....If they can offer this - MB can offer free "minor incidence" cover on their Mobilio plans...:rock:

Mind if I ask which bank? I get similar with NatWest "private" but don't think it covers Europe and it's not RAC

Oh, and a word of caution on the phione cover - yoiu have to produce the original receipt to make any claim which can be difficult if it's a company phone or one from ebay! Otherwise they will not pay

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. I still have one query though regarding cars registered before 01/01/2004.
My handbook very clearly states:
"This only applies where maintenance services have been carried out regurlarly in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and by a Mercedes-Benz Service Station from the 5th year after delivery of the vehicle by the DaimlerChrysler organisation.". The way I read this is that FMBSH is only required after 5 years. Is this correct ?

Mind if I ask which bank? I get similar with NatWest "private" but don't think it covers Europe and it's not RAC

Oh, and a word of caution on the phione cover - yoiu have to produce the original receipt to make any claim which can be difficult if it's a company phone or one from ebay! Otherwise they will not pay

Barclays Premier Life - the Eu cover is for cars up to 11 years old only. Thanks for the heads up on the phone cover....I have no idea where my receipts are but will file new ones away. They also extend all white goods, TVs etc laptops guarantees by one year if registered with them within 90 days of purchase. I'm awaiting the "welcome pack" ...so will read the fine print then.

And a word of caution on the credit card cover. By law they have to cover you for losses over £25 so long as you weren't involved in some kind of fraud. So the cover is for nothing. I asked my Barclays manager to say what it covered that was not already covered and he admitted he could think of nothing. Bargains from banks are sadly almost always an illusion. If Barclays ever offer a competitive rate for anything, you can bet your shirt that after you switch into it, they will cut the rate.

And a word of caution on the credit card cover. By law they have to cover you for losses over £25 so long as you weren't involved in some kind of fraud. So the cover is for nothing. I asked my Barclays manager to say what it covered that was not already covered and he admitted he could think of nothing. Bargains from banks are sadly almost always an illusion. If Barclays ever offer a competitive rate for anything, you can bet your shirt that after you switch into it, they will cut the rate.

Must say that the NatWest one has been worth it in our circumstance. IMHO. Go away a lot so the travel insurance together with breakdown cover on Carol's car has been almost worth it on it's own! And the value of being able to call a PERSON and not press numbers plus the manager comes to see me at MY convenience - sometimes beyond rubies!

Must say that the NatWest one has been worth it in our circumstance. IMHO. Go away a lot so the travel insurance together with breakdown cover on Carol's car has been almost worth it on it's own! And the value of being able to call a PERSON and not press numbers plus the manager comes to see me at MY convenience - sometimes beyond rubies!

Agree totally.........I have paid for personal banking for years and have had an exellent service - problems sorted promptly by people...

Thanks - but it is not just cover for barlays cards - its a card service for all cards - just list them and if they are lost / stolen one call sorts it all out...

Sounds as though NatWest are as good as their adverts. At Barclays we phone India, then get tape recorders which want us to type in all our card numbers, then a human who wants our card numbers all over again. Not allowed to phone the local branch.

Sad to see Admin have not decided to make this a 'sticky' for a while. It is already down to page two -but for this posting. And other threads have many misunderstandings about MobiloLife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom