More new wheels - problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Storm

I recently fitted for new (to me) AMG wheels to my CLK. I'm experiencing to minor 'shakes' at around 70mph+ that I'm certain weren't there before. What could the possible cause be? Is it likely to be dodgy wheels or more likely to be the fitting?

Wheel balancing is the first place I'd look.

Hi have they been balanced ? can you drive through the shakes say 85mph ? May have lost a weight off one of the front wheels.
Hope you can sort it.

Normally its one of the front wheels, which has stick on weights, one of which has fallen off.

Agree,

If you drive upto 65mph say and then it starts, and stops at say 75 mph... then its most likley a balancing of the whees (weight fell off).

If this has been checked are the wheels second hand? check for any signs of damage (pothole)..

Also whe they are off being checked check the tyres, I had a bulb on the rear wheel of my old car and that caused trerrible vibration but only at 30mph ?? you would not see it simply looking at the wheels / tyres as it was on the inside.

Good luck

Thanks for the many replies.

The wheels are second hand and came with used tyres also - I'm guessing they're not balanced, so I guess that is probably the first thing to check. The wheels had been refurbed just prior to selling (the we sold be a wheel re-seller) so I'm hoping (I really think it's unlikely) that there are any major defects to the wheels.

It definitely starts about 65 and is still present around 85. I've not noticed it tailing off, but I guess I've not gone fast enough.

Can I get the wheels balanced at any tyre place? Like Kwik fit? What are the approximate costs?

It's a relief because I was quite concerned that one of my wheels would be overtaking me on my trip home tonight! :crazy:

Hi They will have taken the tyers off to refurb will not be in balance as they do not go back in the same place or on the same wheel.
Will have taken off the balance weights cost should not be to much may get it done for £5 to7 per wheel have all 4 done some tyre sales may do you a deal as its not a hard job.

Great - looks like that's the answer then. I'll try the likes of kwik-fit and get some quotes.

Many thanks everyone! :)

To be truthful, don't go to the likes of quickfit.
Try and find a small but good local supplier, that sells performance tyres, you should get a better job that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom