More Renting Madness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Just a little ditty from a police led landlord liaison meeting I went to this evening.

They were called (again) to a property where a known bad-un had been reported for breaking a double glazed window with a brick.

It transpired that the window he had smashed was the front room of the flat he was renting, because in his drunken state he'd locked himself out.

They really really wanted to nick him for criminal damage, as he was known to them, and was already the subject of an ASBO.

What action were they able to take, within the framework of the law?

None, because, despite the house belonging to someone else, the window was classed as his property for the duration of his tenancy.

:doh:

I'm surprised you seem surprised but understand entirely where you are coming from. I could tell you a whole worse too.

I would defend to the death my right to chuck a brick through the window of my dwelling :rolleyes:

He only gained access to the property in his charge.

Unless he breached a condition of his tenancy, he did nothing wrong in real life.

What would the reaction be if he called the landlord to ask for instant access ?

I am surprised the police even raised it.

I did the very same thing 20 years ago, not in a drunken state but simply when stepping outside the house to collect my takeaway meal from the delivery man and hearing the front door slam shut behind me....

Luckily I just moved in and the 'To Let' sign was still wedged into the ground on a long pointed wooden stick ;) and it was a very useful stick indeed.

The following day I had new glass fitted and didn't even mention it to my Landlord.

It never occured to me there may be anything wrong with doing this.

I guess it's all part of the rental territory,some respect others don't give a ....
on the other hand how else could he of got in?

I would expect a tenant of mine to contact me before smashing a window.

For this particular incident, the police were there because neighbours had alerted them to the known and ASBO'd nuisance neighbour, this time smashing a window with a brick - a little different to your letting agent sign analogy MJ.

I don't know, but would hazard a guess the tenant didn't replace or pay for the window.

I would expect a tenant of mine to contact me before smashing a window.

For this particular incident, the police were there because neighbours had alerted them to the known and ASBO'd nuisance neighbour, this time smashing a window with a brick - a little different to your letting agent sign analogy MJ.

I don't know, but would hazard a guess the tenant didn't replace or pay for the window.

Surely would depend on the circumstances?

say 2AM, and a responsible tenant who's locked himself out (an oxymoron I'll admit!). Would you prefer he breaks the window and replaces it, or calls you?

So he breaks a window to get in - it comes out of the deposit when he leaves if he doesn't make it good? What's the problem?

As it happens we have broken a window in a rented house. The lawnmower picked up a stone and fired it like a rocket.

The window was replaced the next day. Total non issue.

So he breaks a window to get in - it comes out of the deposit when he leaves if he doesn't make it good? What's the problem?

Depends on the size of the deposit and the rest of the damage caused/rent arrears.

None, because, despite the house belonging to someone else, the window was classed as his property for the duration of his tenancy.

:doh:

I'm sure the Police said that, but I'm minded to think it's balderdash. Bit like them saying they can't prosecute for theft if the item is returned.

The tenant is surely committing an act of criminal damage. If there's something buried in housing law that allows them to do this, then fair enough, but I would bet this is a case of the Police not being bothered.

ETA: Quick Google brings up this: Man admits property damage | Carmarthen Journal

Depends on the size of the deposit and the rest of the damage caused/rent arrears.

Nobody said anything about any other damage. A replacement glazing unit probably costs £50 - 100? Never used a glazier so I don't know what they charge but I doubt it would make much of a dent in any deposit I've ever come across...

I'm sure the Police said that, but I'm minded to think it's balderdash. Bit like them saying they can't prosecute for theft if the item is returned.

The tenant is surely committing an act of criminal damage. If there's something buried in housing law that allows them to do this, then fair enough, but I would bet this is a case of the Police not being bothered.

ETA: Quick Google brings up this: Man admits property damage | Carmarthen Journal

I do believe they were very frustrated by having to leave without taking any action.

Regarding the press report, occupants of hostels are not assured shorthold tenants and tend to be on a short term licence.

It's the AST that provides the tenants rights, apparently including the "property is yours" situation.

TBH the whole thing is a bit of a non event.

Tenant locks himself out, breaks window to get in, probably pays for window to be replaced.

move along.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom