More Rules For Motorists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hawk20

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
MORE RULES on SMOKING and CARS
New anti-smoking legislation has banned smoking in the workplace – and this may also include your company car. A few points to note include:
*If a company car is used by more than one person - even if they are not in the car at the same time - then it must remain smoke-free at all times, even if all those that use the car are smokers.
*Drivers of convertible cars will be exempt if the roof is down when they or their passengers are smoking.
*If you take a cash allowance and privately fund your car, you will be exempt if less than 50% of your travel is for business purposes. However, if you carry passengers during a business journey, there must be no smoking during that journey.
*Fines range from £50-200 if you smoke in a smoke-free car, to £200-1000 if your car does not display no-smoking signs, and up to £2500 for an employer who fails to prevent smoking in a car.

Companies are advised to avoid any doubt, provide no-smoking signs for all company vehicles; and to issue an internal communication to all employees, informing them of the new legislation; and to avoid any doubt, provide no-smoking signs for all company vehicles; and distribute no-smoking signs to all employees who receive a cash allowance for their car. Even if they only occasionally carry passengers on business, there is still the scope to receive a fine.

For further information, telephone the Smokefree Compliance Line on 0800 587 1667 or visit:
www.smokefreeengland.co.uk

And if some of you think this is a joke, trust me it isn’t.

I think it rather cheeky for the government to impose a law that says I must put an ugly no smoking sign up in my personal vehicle, just because I receive a car allowance.

They can go jump in a lake...

I can imagine facility managers nationwide getting into heated arguements with staff over this.

What happens if your car has a sunroof and you have a crafty fag as a passenger standing up through the sunroof?

Mind you Hawk, a smoked in car does smell horrible:mad:
I agree and don't smoke myself. But the endless rules which nobody can enforce are becoming mindboggling. I love the rule that : -
"If a company car is used by more than one person - even if they are not in the car at the same time - then it must remain smoke-free at all times, even if all those that use the car are smokers."

What happens if your car has a sunroof and you have a crafty fag as a passenger standing up through the sunroof?

Then you'll get done for not having a seatbelt on...

Don't like the way the law is imposed frankly... but I can't stand smokers either (just about everyone in my family suffers from Asthma) so I'm not too bothered :p

I run 2 vans, all 3 of my staff smoke (although I don't) - I can't find the information you posted on that website - do you have a direct link please ?

I guess I'm going to need no-smoking stickers for the vans and to write each of them a letter informing them of the rules...... (where do you buy these stickers ??)

Then you'll get done for not having a seatbelt on...

Don't like the way the law is imposed frankly... but I can't stand smokers either (just about everyone in my family suffers from Asthma) so I'm not too bothered :p

cannot stand smokers as well but i am bothered .
When they get rid of the smokers they will come for people with white shirts, then it will be black shoes, then it will be those that breathe and every offence will be punishable by a fine.

Remember Tony blair in 1998 saying he wants every home to have a computer by 2010 or was it 2014?
Nothing to do with he computer licence they were trying to sneak in through the back door. like the rubbish TV licence

Presumably it will also allow anyone who is smoking to be stopped to check whether it is their car, or whether they use the car for 49% or 51% business use? How on earth would one satisfactorily explain to the PC the funding of the car? Daft!

Presumably it will also allow anyone who is smoking to be stopped to check whether it is their car, or whether they use the car for 49% or 51% business use? How on earth would one satisfactorily explain to the PC the funding of the car? Daft!

I think it will go the way of speed cameras.
Errm a PCN saying we say you smoking in a car reg xxxxxx.
can you please tell us if it is a personal car or if it is 51% business you.
Or just pay up please.
They really need the money

FWIW, these regulations have been in force since 1st July 2007.

Any law - unless it can be properly and correctly policed is worthless. And this is one of those laws.
Its something a whitehall suit has dreamed up to curtail yet more freedom from the bloke in the street.
If the government really - and I mean REALLY want people to stop smoking then only sell cigarettes from licensed "Cigarette shops". Stop selling them from supermarkets, sweet shops, petrol stations etc....etc....

Or of course, they dont really want you to stop. Its just lip service as they still want the revenue. Same as alcohol. And cars.

Imagine what would happen to the economy if EVERYONE suddenly stopped smoking, drinking and driving. Meltdown would take about a week.

Interesting scenario...............

And dont think I smoke, because I dont. Never have. And I dont drink much either. But I do like my MB ! ! ! ! !

What right to the government have to tell you where you can smoke in your car.

They are far to dictatorial.

cannot stand smokers as well but i am bothered .
When they get rid of the smokers they will come for people with white shirts, then it will be black shoes, then it will be those that breathe and every offence will be punishable by a fine.

Remember Tony blair in 1998 saying he wants every home to have a computer by 2010 or was it 2014?
Nothing to do with he computer licence they were trying to sneak in through the back door. like the rubbish TV licence

Every home in Cuba has a state suppled TV set and the Cuban are so proud of this fact..... Not many decent homes tho and what better way of ensuring the one state run propoganda tv station is on and on....

So I agree - be careful of state driven objectives...what is the ulteria motives.??

Cynical? No just old and seen it before....;)

All of these things have an on / off switch, and you just have to push that button (off that is)

If you are allowed and there isnt a community policeman looking in on you ....sure:cool:

The wife had to get no smoking signs for the driving school car (own car self employed)
She does'nt smoke ,I dont and she would'nt let her pupils smoke when driving

But as its a place of work she had to comply with the law

I run 2 vans, all 3 of my staff smoke (although I don't) - I can't find the information you posted on that website - do you have a direct link please ?

I guess I'm going to need no-smoking stickers for the vans and to write each of them a letter informing them of the rules...... (where do you buy these stickers ??)
It is on the interesting new MB website under the news section: -
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...s_and_advice/news/corporate_manslaughter.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom