More S124 rust...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty220

Car
1997 C250 TD
I made a thread about my 220E's rust not too long ago but i recently replaced the radiator on my former S124 that is now only driven by my father and had a few surprises. He drives very little and the car is kept in a garage but from time to time he is complaining about the interior being a bit damp after driving in bad weather or even water dripping on his feet.

He had a few shops look at the car for what he thought was a bad windshield gasket but i noticed that the big rubber gasket that sits at the bottom of the windscreen isn't attached properly. The area looks very rusty and sounded quite crunchy when i wiggled a screwdriver in there. What causes that? Is it common? The drain holes were completely blocked. What i always do on my W124 is to make sure they're not clocked with crap. I forgot to check under the battery and fuse box but this seems a bit unusual.

The other area of concern is at the back of the car, near the spare tyre, very bubbly under both windows, the bottom isn't pretty either. The rest of the car is very nice, the only other bad place is one jacking point but not as bad as my 220. The bottom of the car is completely rust free. There's also no rust at all behind the claddings. What would you suggest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom