More Space For Cyclists And Pedestrians - Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Then they slap their plate onto the vehicle , just as motor trade drivers do with trade plates in the same circumstances ; exemption can still be allowed within airport perimeters .

That also leaves cars in public spaces without any traceability when there is no plate on it. (The runner having taken their plate and the next hirer is yet unknown). How the runner identifies which car they are supposed to be collecting is yet another problem awaiting a solution.

Broadband and a lap top.

In that case, you are still being tracked to some degree. Unless you are using anonymous IP, dark web etc. Yes, you have probably turned off location services, but you can still be identified to some degree. Even IT experts have considerable difficulty in stopping all of it.

I know we have some IT security experts on here and would welcome their opinion please

This is a workplace edge case that can be dealt with.

There is a requirement for the employer to be able to identify the driver if asked. So as long as the vehicle is identifiable then ultimately so is the driver.

''Hey Kenny, did you take that Astra up from the carpark or was it Stevie?'' ''Which Astra?'' ''The blue one'' ''Which blue one?'' ''Oh that one. Dunno. I think Ashley might have - or Gail''

Hire car company staff use smartphones and tablets these days.

Five guys running cars back in such close proximity. Smartphones can deal with that? Pin point to a car's width where the phone was?

In that case, you are still being tracked to some degree. Unless you are using anonymous IP, dark web etc. Yes, you have probably turned off location services, but you can still be identified to some degree. Even IT experts have considerable difficulty in stopping all of it.

I know we have some IT security experts on here and would welcome their opinion please

No need for tracking. A landline Broadband connection is somewhat limited in its mobility.

Reactions: 219
There is a system. The car's keeper is identified and they have to provide the police when asked who the driver was. Failure to do so results in a sanction. If you are prepared to suffer that sanction then you can withhold the requested information and protect your privacy.

What you are proposing has so far strayed from the topic in question - namely, what to do about a minority of cyclists for which adequate legislation already exists and could be implemented if the police were visibly there to witness it. That all cyclists have to jump through absurd bureaucratic and unnecessary hoops is to be resisted - IMO.
The whole point is that adequate legislation does not exist because in this cash strapped climate the police cannot be everywhere , and errant cyclists , like the one described at the start of this thread , who ripped off a poor girl's door mirror and used it to scratch two panels on her car , then disappeared through traffic without being traced ; or any number of cyclists who flout red lights at road junctions or pedestrian crossings with impunity - all these get away with this antisocial at best , criminal at worst behaviour , because they are anonymous .

I'm sure in the dawning days of motoring there would have been similar arguments against motor vehicles being identified , but it is universal now .

Simpler than identifying the keeper , then having a rigmarole to discover who was driving - just identify the DRIVER . It would be simpler and cheaper going forward - what's the problem ?

Five guys running cars back in such close proximity. Smartphones can deal with that? Pin point to a car's width where the phone was?

Basic answer is yes - if you want to make it work - you can.

(And you're making the assumption that the phone belongs to somebody driving the car. You can have more than one phone in the car.)

What you actually need to do is manage the key. You can use smartphones as part of that system. But these days hire car companies are increasingly using tablets with 4G/wifi and cameras - and keys and cars have QR codes or RFID tags.

''Hey Kenny, did you take that Astra up from the carpark or was it Stevie?'' ''Which Astra?'' ''The blue one'' ''Which blue one?'' ''Oh that one. Dunno. I think Ashley might have - or Gail''

They probably use a personal smart card to access the car park - photo take as barrier opens - case proved m'lud'

Basic answer is yes - if you want to make it work - you can.

(And you're making the assumption that the phone belongs to somebody driving the car. You can have more than one phone in the car.)

What you actually need to do is manage the key. You can use smartphones as part of that system. But these days hire car companies are increasingly using tablets with 4G/wifi and cameras - and keys and cars have QR codes or RFID tags.
This is all a tiny , tiny issue to obsfucate the larger issue of misdemeanours on the road - every time the car park barrier opens , it can take a time stamped picture of the car , showing the face of the driver . Case solved .

That also leaves cars in public spaces without any traceability when there is no plate on it. (The runner having taken their plate and the next hirer is yet unknown). How the runner identifies which car they are supposed to be collecting is yet another problem awaiting a solution.
Hire cars are a small minority of the public fleet - they can have a window sticker with their own identifier , or the runner can note which numbered space he left it in . Not an issue for most normal people . If you park your own car in the town, you leave your plate on it , since you will be going back for it .

Anytime I've picked up cars at airports , which isn't often - you go to the Herz , Avis , whichever desk , do the paperwork , then are given the keys , told which carpark your car is in and where to get the shuttle bus - then you go and look for it . Under my system , you then take your personal plate and put it in the holder on the car before driving it . The hire company will have logged your driver number against their car before giving you the keys .

Broadband - is that a polite way of saying obese band, or brotherhood of fatties!? :D

No need for tracking. A landline Broadband connection is somewhat limited in its mobility.

Sorry, meant all tracking specifically in terms of information re your interests, dislikes, friends/foes, car, home address, birthdays, anniversaries, purchases, planned trips, time spent at home etc. etc. We all think that we bar this information, but trust me someone will have found a lot of it out by fair means or foul

This is all a tiny , tiny issue to obsfucate the larger issue of misdemeanours on the road - every time the car park barrier opens , it can take a time stamped picture of the car , showing the face of the driver . Case solved .

Not if the driver chooses to lift say, a newspaper to obscure their face while the photo is taken. Exactly the kind of thing we'd have done back in the day.

Hire cars are a small minority of the public fleet - they can have a window sticker with their own identifier , or the runner can note which numbered space he left it in . Not an issue for most normal people . If you park your own car in the town, you leave your plate on it , since you will be going back for it .

Now you're proposing two systems.

Anytime I've picked up cars at airports , which isn't often - you go to the Herz , Avis , whichever desk , do the paperwork , then are given the keys , told which carpark your car is in and where to get the shuttle bus - then you go and look for it . Under my system , you then take your personal plate and put it in the holder on the car before driving it . The hire company will have logged your driver number against their car before giving you the keys .

And off you go searching to identify your car by a tiny sticker in the corner of a window. Then you return it and the runner has to do the same. And faff about fixing his plate on then removing it for the car wash then reattaching it again to return the car to the carpark. Better hope no one was careless and damaged the holder or you'll miss your flight trying to retrieve your plate. Or find you can't drive your own car on return because in the rush you forgot one of the plates - or it's in your luggage which is lost - or someone stole it for a laugh....

Remind me - what benefits does this system have over the existing one?

Sorry, meant all tracking specifically in terms of information re your interests, dislikes, friends/foes, car, home address, birthdays, anniversaries, purchases, planned trips, time spent at home etc. etc. We all think that we bar this information, but trust me someone will have found a lot of it out by fair means or foul

There's no denying it and unavoidable but accepted by me as part of the on-line deal. Entirely different though from knowing my whereabouts which is my business and mine alone.

oh , you mentioned 20mph limits - many are just advisory and the actual limit is still 30 , often you won’t get ticketed for up to 30 in one .
Are there really advisory 20mph limits? How does one tell which are advisory and which are mandatory? All the ones round here were implemented on the back of Speed Limit Orders under the 1984 Act and have the standard circular red-bordered signs.

Are there really advisory 20mph limits? How does one tell which are advisory and which are mandatory? All the ones round here were implemented on the back of Speed Limit Orders under the 1984 Act and have the standard circular red-bordered signs.
And here, too, with the correct “20mph zone” signs at all entry points

If they are in a red circle they are mandatory, if just numbers and no red circle they are advisory.

Not if the driver chooses to lift say, a newspaper to obscure their face while the photo is taken. Exactly the kind of thing we'd have done back in the day.

Now you're proposing two systems.

And off you go searching to identify your car by a tiny sticker in the corner of a window. Then you return it and the runner has to do the same. And faff about fixing his plate on then removing it for the car wash then reattaching it again to return the car to the carpark. Better hope no one was careless and damaged the holder or you'll miss your flight trying to retrieve your plate. Or find you can't drive your own car on return because in the rush you forgot one of the plates - or it's in your luggage which is lost - or someone stole it for a laugh....

Remind me - what benefits does this system have over the existing one?
Obscuring your face could be checked for by intelligent cameras - if it does not register face recognition - the barrier won't open - simple .

I'm not proposing two systems , you are suggesting a rental company needs another identifier , again , last time I had an airport car ( at Luton Airport ) the person at the desk handed me the keys and told me which numbered bay in the car park the car was in - and it was . When I returned the car , I had been told which numbered bay to leave it in .

For most normal , private people this system will have many benefits -

The same number stays with you for life and applies to any vehicle you are driving or riding since it is YOU who is identified , not the vehicle .

You only pay one lot of VED and insurance for any number of vehicles you own , or happen to drive under any circumstances - so your insurance is based purely on YOUR driving record .

No need for a rigmarole which can take a couple of months to identify who was driving/cycling for minor offences such as running red lights ( something for which there is NO mechanism at all regarding cyclists just now ) the fine just goes straight to the driver .

The ‘person not the car’ seems to work for the RAC (if they still offer it, I’ve been a member for over 40 years) with their ‘Personal’ cover. This means that I’m covered for all the features I’ve bought, in whatever car I’m in - whether passenger or driver.

OK, it’s just a matter of producing my membership card, and doesn’t involve VED, MoT etc, but with a few tweaks maybe???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom