More Space For Cyclists And Pedestrians - Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fine, as long as all bikes & riders have to be registered and insured like cars & have a rego plate. Friend of mine was t-boned by a bike going the wrong way down a one-way. Door smashed in and the cyclist (unsurprisingly) rode off.

How much worse is it going to get with e-scooters, subsidised bikes and the government encouraging them to get out en-masse ...................

Reactions: 219
Good point about the road racing though why should cyclist be allowed to hold races on the public road!

Why are they allowed to ride around in big pelotons for training, blocking the road, making it very difficult to overtake safely and inconveniencing every motorist that needs to pass them on that road?

How about if everybody who wants cycle lanes in their city give up 3-5ft of their front yard so that cities can expand sidewalks to support cycle lanes and having a bicycle tax to pay for it?

Now you're talking.

Now you're talking.
I live in a cull de sac. How will it work in my case?

Regarding the RFL, I pay almost a grand a year for that. One car does about 3000 miles pa and the other does about 500 so I’m getting my moneys worth by using the bike.

I think once the travel restrictions are lifted and it is business at usual with the weather the novelty of cycling may have lost its appeal plus it would be almost impossible to implement a continual dedicated cycle path through towns and cities due to their existing layout.

No enjoyment cycling home from / to work into sideways rain in November no matter how good the road facilities are.

Seems like a strange time to be talking about something that in our present health position is a non entity.

K

I know this girl who bought a brand new ds3 when they first come out (she was very proud of it) with the colour coordinated roof and mirrors, anyway she was sitting in traffic cylist comes down the inside catches her mirror rips it off the car then it swung down and scratched the wing and door, cyclist looked round shrugged shoulders and cycled off, poor girl was left with a £500 bill too put right. Thats not right
Ahh Citroen build quality. As a cyclist i can with some certainty state that a girl driving a new citroen ds3 (or more commonly Fiat 500) will have been driving atrociously hence this incident. The £500 bill for the wing mirror may make her drive with some consideration in future.

It’s long been said that perfectly normal people turn into monsters the moment they get behind a steering wheel, and IMO this also applies to many as they start to pedal their bicycle.

But addressing Shapps’ proposal, is he expecting hundreds of delivery drivers to turn into ‘Granvilles’, and do their deliveries on shop bikes, as there won’t be room for their vans, let alone larger trucks?
Cyclists are actually very friendly and helpful to each other on the road , the complete opposite to some motorists. You obviously show cyclists no consideration and this is why you have this viewpoint.

Last edited:
I must be very lucky. I’ve been driving nearly 30 years and never had an incident/issue with a cyclist. It seems for some members here It’s a common occurrence.
It’s almost as though some people court this type of behaviour. o_O

Ahh Citroen build quality. As a cyclist i can with some certainty state that a girl driving a new citroen ds3 (or more commonly Fiat 500) will have been driving atrociously hence this incident. The £500 bill for the wing mirror may make her drive with some consideration in future.
Yes, Citroen build quality. Just look at them and fall apart.

I did read yesterday that the Govt are going to chuck 2billion at getting cycle paths and the infrastructure ready.
Bearing this in mind and the speed that the councils do these works, most of the old duffers who frequent this forum needn’t worry.

Fine, as long as all bikes & riders have to be registered and insured like cars & have a rego plate. Friend of mine was t-boned by a bike going the wrong way down a one-way. Door smashed in and the cyclist (unsurprisingly) rode off.

How much worse is it going to get with e-scooters, subsidised bikes and the government encouraging them to get out en-masse ...................
simple answer re insurance/registration of cyclists. they HAVE to wear a hi viz jacket with a registration number/insurance number so can be identified. no jacket equates to no ins so plod can seize the bike just like they do with cars and fine the guilty. make the fines at least double of what any insurance premium would be so the incentive is to be insured.

She was sitting motionless at a set of traffic lights waiting, but if she was her insurance would have paid out the damage and there would have been a way to identify her by the reg plate obviously

Why are they allowed to ride around in big pelotons for training, blocking the road, making it very difficult to overtake safely and inconveniencing every motorist that needs to pass them on that road?
No idea it seems like 1 rule for some and another for everyone else

and prior to that did she almost kill said cyclist?
No because she was in a traffic jam during rush hour, we are talking about a 17 year old sensible girl With her very first car, poor girl was in tears

No because she was in a traffic jam during rush hour, we are talking about a 17 year old sensible girl With her very first car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom