More than just a key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
phew can't some people just tell a joke from someone who is not being serious. it is when people do not lighten up that so much tension is created

phew can't some people just tell a joke from someone who is not being serious. it is when people do not lighten up that so much tension is created
Smiley's are a great means of expression as the written word is not the best means of communication. ;)

Have a nice day

Regards
Smiler John:)

Jeese, if you are worried about the memory your car has, do you not think the technology is not there to see how fast your mobile phone is travelling via GPS. You could argue you were not the driver, but, you may then have to disclose who the driver was or get the ticket yourself:D :D

OK, on this occasion I was mistaken for which I apologise.

Guess smilies can have more impact than I thought.......... :)

and a polite letter requesting you to state who was driving at xyz time

They won't need to do that - the biometric scanner in the key will know who was driving and will automatically debit your bank account and add points to your licence.

You can appeal, but if it fails then the penalty will be quadrupled and the costs awarded against you will be enormous (oops - that already happens).

OK, on this occasion I was mistaken for which I apologise.

No need for that whatsoever . I know you do not think we are that into conspiracy theories.
John is far too experienced for that and its just for some fun anyway.

This Big Brother monitoring of our cars has been going on for years, but I defy any of our scare mongers to name one instance of the police simply going on a 'fishing trip' and using this technology.

Your wish is granted - it was actually on this forum a few months ago

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=49636&highlight=Rich+kid

Without revisting old ground and yes its an emotive case as its a kid, but don't let that cloud your judgement, that car data can be used to incriminate you. Big brother is out there, and its in your car.

You highlight all the postives of high tech in cars john, but thats a red herring to the BB issue which you seem to be-little as it doesn't tie in with your own views etc, and thats fine, but its also incorrect.

A chip the stores your radio station is different, you don't have to use it, what choice does the car owner have over this data that the car collects. I say that the motorist can wipe all the data from his car whenever he wants.

Last edited:
now that is scary. The one with the car hire firm. how much will they make from the drivers.
Just how many people have the power to fine/ charge motorists? seems like just about everybody

Your wish is granted - it was actually on this forum a few months ago

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=49636&highlight=Rich+kid

Without revisting old ground and yes its an emotive case as its a kid, but don't let that cloud your judgement, that car data can be used to incriminate you. Big brother is out there, and its in your car.

You highlight all the postives of high tech in cars john, but thats a red herring to the BB issue which you seem to be-little as it doesn't tie in with your own views etc, and thats fine, but its also incorrect.

A chip the stores your radio station is different, you don't have to use it, what choice does the car owner have over this data that the car collects. I say that the motorist can wipe all the data from his car whenever he wants.
You have linked to a thread with sixty six messages??

I want an example of where the police have gone on a fishing trip and not after a serious event where technology may or may not assist a defendant. Remember if you are innocent it will prove your innocence and can only corroborate what is suspected? Are you suggesting that we should not use technology to simply highlight someone is attempting to commit perjury?

Note my question is about fishing trips.

The Big Brother brigade usually come up with fictional what if scenario's and never highlight a pure fishing trip where material is used without any other event happening.

In other words the police pick up my key after I drop it, they then examine it and find that yesterday i may or may not have been speeding. That is a fishing trip as they had no complaint, no witnesses that have made allegations and that in my humble opinion would not be allowed? Unless you have indeed highlighted a genuine example??

regards
John

probably beause they has not been legislation to use it. As soon as it becomes widespread, who knows? they may apply for it to be used on fishing trips
migration of laws and legislation comes to mind.
The key is not Yet but who can tell the future?

Remember when CCTV was purely for crime prevention and monitoring? but now it is used for box junctions, red route and yellow parking

Last edited:
Remember when CCTV was purely for crime prevention and monitoring? but now it is used for box junctions, red route and yellow parking
On our local news this morning a senior police officer was being questioned about the lack of CCTV cameras.

Numerous, councillors, parish councillors all want either CCTV cameras to cover their villages, parishes, streets etc and the police are saying they are not the single answer to lowering crime.

If your car was keyed by an unknown person but you saw a CCTV camera looking straight at your vehiclke would you moah about big brother or would you make enquiries about whether the camera filmed the incident?

We CANNOT have it both ways, we cannot moan if we commit a crime and get filmed, but then use this technology to catch criminals that commit offences against us.

All the big brother posts are about 'What if' and I'm just waiting for the usual response of those that claim it protects the innocent are merely puppets that are being walked all over. They are not.

we have talked on another thread about witnesses and there responsibilities. All we want from a witness is the truth. The worse thing that can happen in any court is for the innocent to be convicted. If the truth can prevent this then that to me is a major, major reason for having this technology. It does not convict people, it simply supplies facts.

this key will only supply facts and if a car is sold without a service book then the data will allow a new book to be stamped. If I buy a car with a suspect service history and a dealer assuring me it is kosher, then the key will supply the truth. I have no idea about other settings and I don't play games about 'What if'

Our keys have memories for different driver settings, I think that is brilliant and hooray for technology.

regardfing my fishing trip challenge I suppose we might suggest the surveillance tapes used by shops. These tapes might be played back and if a shop lifter is spotted then could the tape be used??? No property, and perhaps no continuation proof of the crime:confused: I reckon I could defend the suspect :devil:

Regards
John

On our local news this morning a senior police officer was being questioned about the lack of CCTV cameras.

Numerous, councillors, parish councillors all want either CCTV cameras to cover their villages, parishes, streets etc and the police are saying they are not the single answer to lowering crime.

If your car was keyed by an unknown person but you saw a CCTV camera looking straight at your vehiclke would you moah about big brother or would you make enquiries about whether the camera filmed the incident?

Regards
John

if you read the thread carefully you will see that i clearly write that CCTV was for monitoring and preventing crime, which keying cars falls into as well as the parishes wanting it so i do not mind about that.

not monitoring box junctions and red routes/ yellow lines. which in my opinion is not a crime and which the CCTV has been expanded into.
As for having it both ways, how come when the car keyer is caught the senrtencing is a joke whereas if the car was on a red route, well who knows and please note, no where have i blamed mr plodd yet.

we cannot have zero tolerance on motoring / driving offences and then sympathy for the rest

Last edited:

Regards
John

Yes but i am not sure they want it to cover their bedrooms or their box junctions and i am not sure that hanging your rear axle over a box junction is a crime at all.
You do not get a criminal record for that do you?

Last edited:
We seem to have gone from BMW keys to CCTV?

around £150 - i know because i had to buy one for my 7 series.

... then 2 weeks later, i found the "lost one" behind the radiator!! bloody kids!

I had to buy one for my car £198 -- then I too found my old one ...in my wife's car??? Hmmm

We seem to have gone from BMW keys to CCTV?

I am only stating the fact, that one device or condition can and has been used for something that it was not originally meant for rather sneakily and for ulterior motives too.

not monitoring box junctions and red routes/ yellow lines. which in my opinion is not a crime...

Yes. I was chatting with a shoplifter the other day - an activity that, in his opinion, was not a crime; he was moaning about store detectives.

And, funnily enough I heard a murderer interviewed on the radio last week - an activity that, in his opinion, was not a crime; he had an issue with the use of DNA - it was better, he said, in the good old days when they just had fingerprints and cigerette ash to try to build a conviction upon.

Overall, I guess, most people who break the law believe that that specific law which thay are breaking should not be considered a crime and technology should not be used to enforce it;)

recycled said:
not monitoring box junctions and red routes/ yellow lines. which in my opinion is not a crime...
I drive through a green traffic light and matey drives through what he alleges is a green traffic light and T-bones me. This is a 'box junction'

I am extremely grateful that the junction is covered by CCTV. Matey is extremely angry about Big Brother invading his human rights etc etc

Guess who went through the red light at thuis box junction?

and Guess who had one of Graham's keys?:D

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom