Morgan Plus 4 SuperSports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Drove one of these today.

What a hoot!

200hp from 4 cylinder 2 litre engine.

Limited edition of 60 cars only.

£50k. Seems very expensive to me.

Great fun to drive though.

What are they like to live with, and what are residuals like?

Sean - Morgan residuals are normally very strong. I had a plus 8 for a year and it was a hoot, but in the end the lack of luggage space, the heat from the engine in stop start traffic (running one in central London is not great) and being showered with water through the doors put me off. It is one of the most distinctive cars made, and you will get lots of love on the roads. I sold my Plus 8 back to the dealer for the price I had paid but that was a good 12 years ago.

I thought that there were long waiting lists for Morgans ..

just looked at pistonheads and there are quite a few stock cars for sale.

the dealer I was at had 2 new Plus 4 Supersports for sale, in addition to the demo I drove

the primitive roof would be annoying after a while ..

I think the waiting lists are long gone. I put the roof up once but it was so noisy I kept it down thereafter, even in the cold and wet. Very healthy!

Went to the factory a couple of years back with my boss to see his Morgan being built. It was like taking a trip back in time. People were doing thing by hand:crazy:

Very interesting day though, even though the cars don't do it for me.

They add to the gaiety of existence and are great fun. I smile when I see one. That is enough for me.

Just to make you smile, I saw this one recently on Kensington Road.

cn11dnj.jpg

Why on earth would I want to do any of the above?!

A Morgan is vintage car fun without the problems with brakes, double de-clutching and general unreliability. It is a wonderful antidote to the notion of a car as a grim consumer white good, delivering you from A to B without wonder, pleasure or joy. Damnation to utilitarianism, a joyless creed.

I wouldn't define a Skoda Fabia vRS or a Mini Coupe as utilitarian or consumer white goods? :confused: There's enjoyment and there's masochism- although it's rumoured some enjoy that to. The fact you felt compelled to sell the Plus 8 after a year surely speaks for itself? Do they still have the sliding pillar front suspension designed in 1909 or have they moved on? :p

They do indeed. I believe Mercedes still use an engine in the front of their cars and drive wheels at the rear, which was invented four years before. I also sold a Bentley, Porsche Boxster and Audi Quattro in the same year as I had too many cars in central London, the least friendly place to own them. As to masochism, flogging around in a four cylinder Mercedes is my definition. :p A motorcycle is a darned sight less comfortable than a Morgan.

Neither of those cars says anything other than a consumer brand like Beko or Bosch. Built to a budget, designed for a market position, sold and scrapped ten years later. No one ever went to their grave regretting they'd never owned a Skoda or a Mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom