Mosselman Turbo'ed Cosworth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What do you think Will ? I'm not buying.

2.3 16's ate chains and had head gasket issues. I'd hate to think what it would do with a turbo strapped to it.

2.3 16's ate chains and had head gasket issues. I'd hate to think what it would do with a turbo strapped to it.

The 2.3-16 standard 'simplex' single-row timing chain and tensioner design was definately a weakness and led to the demise of many of these cars over the years due to very expensive rebuild costs. It is possible to convert the original engine to run the 2.5-16 duplex chain and sprockets etc but this involves a lot of expensive parts and a lot of labour to fit.

The head gaskets on all of these 16v 190s are pretty much bulletproof - I can't recall any significant problems - certainly much less so than most other MBs. Not a problem with these cars at all.

Peter - Car doesn't look awful - it's wearing it's mileage pretty well it seems (180k!) and I've seen much worse/abused cars over the years.

However, realistically it's the originality and condition of these cars that warrants collectable price tags. It's not a whole lot of cash but there's obviously more powerful MBs that can be bought for a lot less these days.

In terms of modifiying the original 2.3-16 engine, there are more preferred methods these days that will yield better performance gains with greater reliability. For example, an upgrade to a modern EFI system would probably net you a good healthy 30-40bhp before looking to bolt on aftermarket turbo kits. A guy in Sweden who modifies these cars for a living has an EFI converted turbocharged 2.3-16 that reliably makes over 450bhp. I believe he has much higher expectations for his next project.

I'm not sure I'd want a turbocharged 16v based upon the original injection system. Don't like the air intake right in front of the exhaust manifold either really.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom