Most and least reliable 4x4 No Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The least reliable on MSNs list is still the only one I would have!!.

The least reliable on MSNs list is still the only one I would have!!.

I got a contract to work end of line fixing electrical faults on those when they first came out. 3000 at the end of the line waiting to be fixed after week 4 of production. Most faults were screws for the trim through the harnesses, the fix.................................. a few crimp connectors like you get at Halfords, trim back on and off to the dealers for sale to some unsuspecting mug willing to part with £50k+ to drive mainly on the road in a house brick on wheels. No thanks I'd rather keep the money.:D

Expensive cars cost are expensive to repair shocker!

Most of those (besides the Subaru) aren't really 'off-roaders' more 'soft-roaders'

If you want a great 4x4, reliable and fast you can't better a Subaru Legacy Spec B. Its one of the best cars I have ever owned.

I got a contract to work end of line fixing electrical faults on those when they first came out. 3000 at the end of the line waiting to be fixed after week 4 of production. Most faults were screws for the trim through the harnesses, the fix.................................. a few crimp connectors like you get at Halfords, trim back on and off to the dealers for sale to some unsuspecting mug willing to part with £50k+ to drive mainly on the road in a house brick on wheels. No thanks I'd rather keep the money.:D

I used to have one, although was more £12k than £50k, it was a great car, the only time it let me down was the alternator going, which wasn't cheap but other than that it was pretty good, I did take mine off road a couple of times but it was too much of a worry that I might damage it, more fun can be had in a £1500 Classic one off road.

I have a 2001 2.0 petrol Grand Vitara winter runaround, with 50K miles on it. Cost £2K. :). It refuses to die or fail an MOT, although it smells a bit funny inside. Sheep, I think. I had a 2005/6 new version which was nicer inside but Suzuki forgot to add low ratio to it. The 2011's all have it now, I'm told.

The GV's are all good off-road, ladder chassis and all that, but not with road tyres and shiny paint. Later ones have been 'repositioned' as exec runarounds for Surrey lanes.

Last edited:
I went to view an Evoque for interests sake 3 weeks ago. Those on facebook will recall mine and Howards comments.

I've never seen such an appalling heaps of junk stored under one roof.

The evoque was an appalling car, with minimal room on what is a family car. The seats were good but it felt cheap, the pedals were just cheap rubber ones and the accelerator just a puny hinged job, not a proper floor mounted ones.

Worse was the price, an evil £40k for a cramped, pseudo form over function car with an under performing belt driven 4 cylinder engine. Inside the trim was nice, but after looking at RR sports, I feared it would not hold up.

My friend and I then went to look at used Range Rover sports as this would seem a better prospect. There were panel gaps so large you could get your fingers into, loose trim near the wheel arches although you could see it was designed with wading in mind and nicely finished there after I kindly pressed it back in. All the used cars had really aged badly inside and out and they just didn't look like a well assembled product.

I simply do not know why people buy these cars. The Audi Q5 is an altogether more appealing prospect, and if you want a real off roader, the various Japanese car makers have that sown up with reliable, high performing off road 4x4s.

Landrovers day has been and gone.

Time for the buying public to move on.

I must admit without shame that we also have a 1999 jeep cherokee orvis 2.5 td and have had her for the last 8 years and cannot fault her ability on or off road, an agricultural tractor, pull a lever and switch between high , low , 2 or 4 wheel drive and 147,000 miles later still going strong( touch wood ) leaf springs a tad saggy, but bring on the snow and just superb, just hope the ML will fair just as well, although I do have my doubts.

My dad has a Jeep Cherokee 2.5td 1996.

It doesn't really get looked after , never gets washed , has front and rear towbars and pulls boats out of the water all day long.

It just never goes wrong. The only time it has is when i borrowed it and tried to start it while it was running , and buggered up the ring gear.

A great car.

Why isn't the Jeep Wrangler 4.0 Limited (1994 especially!) on that list for least reliable?

seems a generally fair list; the HR-V is a cracking little motor.
10 million vtec engines still no failures (so they say, I haven't checked them all)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom