Most annoying w212 rattle 🤬

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

haggis0073

Car
E220 W212 2013
Is there anyone in here that has a w212 and know where this rattle noise could be coming from, it seems to be coming from behind the climate control area and rattles constantly except on smooth roads (not many of them left)

Not sure if its a common problem or not

Its so annoying 🤬🤬 If I didn't need it for work 6 days a week I would of stripped the bloody dash apart by now

Apologies in advance if checked... but noise from glove box contents can sometimes appear to come from centre console. Also check cup holder locator is locked.

Failing that I would punch the dashboard lots whilst cursing.........not recommended ;)

I have literally removed every item and coin from car as thought the same thing, still there, found a video on YouTube on how to remove the stereo etc so gonna try that tomorrow, it's driving me nuts as its not quiet

Believe me I want to smack the 🤬 out of the dash area but I have restrained myself. 😂😂

Maybe have some heat proof tape or other bodge stuff to hand....it can get hot back there so careful what you use to pad around any potential noise source.

It might be useful to have one person driving over bumps as another listens & looks.........subject to COVID safety

Failing that use a hammer.

People have sold otherwise good cars for such annoyances

Lower the tyre pressures to the lowest figure in the permissible range (serious suggestion).

If you are taking the dash apart, I would start with the air ducts above the infotainment system. Sound travels well through these ducts.

I have taken that whole section apart and placed felt tape all over it to get rid of the rattles and squeaks. I’m afraid you’ll likely have to do the same. It’s probably more the air vents above the radio, but there’s loads or creaky plastic there

Also try putting the sliding tray back to the closed position and see if it does it. Sometimes the tray being in the furthest ‘in’ (so the cup holders and 12v socket are visible) position makes it rattle.

Thanks for all Suggestions. I will make a start tomorrow and will update if I manage to source the sound, it's actually getting to the point where I am not enjoying the car because of this sound, a little dash creak I can handle but this is driving me nuts.

Its annoying how sound travels as sometimes it seems to appear under the arm rest but mostly behind the climate controls. I will find the source and if not the hammer is sounding likely 🤔

Oh & be careful but a little silicon spay in right might ease a noisy dry or hard to access rubbing/contact point.. Please don't feel need to reply - I am sure you are watching this.

Good Luck

Any update OP ?

Sorry was busy in week, so as I type I have got the stereo removed and found some sort of air duct plastic thing that sits directly under the stereo loose on the one side, currently figuring out a way to secure/stick the right side down

Hope this is the problem🤞🏼

Will update later

So the problem I was having was a rattle sound coming from behind the stereo/climate control area. I have confirmed that in my case it was indeed the plastic air duct part as pictured. It sits directly underneath the stereo unit.

I have no idea if it is supposed to be clipped down or not (Can't see anything obvious) , I have made a temporary fix by using Blu tac :crazy: . Now that the rattle has gone completely and I know the exact problem, it is something I can get looked at properly to find a permanent fix ( Can't see the blu tac working for too long, but you never know)

Not sure if link will work but here is a small video clip of what was rattling

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 15
If anyone reading this ever has a similar problem then at least this something to look into for yourselves

Oh and taking the damn dash trim off was a nightmare for me. Why is it when you watch videos of people doing things it seems effortless, When I try its near impossible :(

Anyway persistence pays off....... and also a very stiff passenger side air vent wheel. I am sure it was never that stiff to turn before 🤔

Hopefully this has sorted it............Double sided adhesive tape would have been my choice over blu-tac but at least you have narrowed it down.

Glad no hammer needed........... :)

Update 2 😵😵

So noise has come back and it turns out it was NOT the damn air vent piece 😂 it was in fact metal brackets that the stereo screws screw into which are located on either side as pictured.

When I had it apart last time I did blu tack them down as a precaution, turns out that temporary fix was what silenced the rattle but came loose again, anyway I padded all around the metal brackets with sponge and gorilla glue and all is solid with no rattles and now zero movement.

The plastic air vent was still secure but put some padding under again just for precaution.

I can't see any reason why these metal brackets are free to move in the first place 🤔 ( They should be a fixed piece) but they certainly are not moving now 😁 No amount of bad roads and pot holes will loosen these brackets now

See picture to see the metal brackets, they are surrounded by a plastic frame.

I am curious to know if anyone else's metal brackets have movements or if they are fixed in place (like I think they should be)

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 15
Yeah, I covered those with acoustic (felt) tape, but just be careful you don't make it too tight to fit everything back!

Felt tape is the way to go. If it's for something that may be a tight fit going back in then fleece tape (much thinner than felt tape but still will dampen vibrations and stop rattles) is an option. I tend to use fleece tape against interfaces where two materials meet (i.e. plastic to metal etc.) and felt tape when there is a gap to fill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom