Most comfortable and reliable A to C class sized car? (MB & Non MB)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derektrotter

Car
MB
Hi All

I've got a 2011 W212 which I want to move away from mid this year due to the expansion of LEZ in London (my car will be effected), I realise its only active from next year however I fancy a change anyway and want to sell before it gets even harder next year.

I do about 12k to 15k miles a year (a lot of motorway) and my primary need for the car is for it to be quite and comfortable along with reliability, would prefer a smaller car as the E has struggled in certain multi storeys in the city.

Requirements:
Size - I'm thinking somewhere between the A class to C class sizewise
Budget - up to £13k but less is better
Other: petrol, quite, comfortable and reliable, ideally something with adaptive cruise control functionality within the budget.

My current thoughts are looking at the Lexus IS300H (I'm thinking reliability), the CT was a good size however its got very bad reviews so probably one to avoid.

As I want to maximise reliability and still want a bit of prestige I think Lexus is probably my only realistic option, I've owned 3 MB's so far and while i've been happy overall I do miss the bulletproof nature of Japanese cars.

Advice appreciated :)

Have you driven a IS300H? I tried one and whilst it seemed perfectly proficient in all areas, it was just a bit dull. Nothing you could put your finger on, but boring.

Try one first and if it doesn't feel like that to you then go for it.

Have you driven a IS300H? I tried one and whilst it seemed perfectly proficient in all areas, it was just a bit dull. Nothing you could put your finger on, but boring.

Try one first and if it doesn't feel like that to you then go for it.

My dad has an IS20T. He loves it. It’s not the engine of choice because it’s not that economical compared to other engines, but it goes.

Personally I don’t think it’s quite a Mercedes, but it’s nice, comfortable and according to the surveys, very reliable.

Thank you all, not driven the Lexus yet, did have a quick look on autotrader and found one which had just recently had a hybrid unit replaced, hopefully this is a rare occurance as it sounds expensive?!

I do like the look of the Audi A3 but i'm a bit worried about the reliability, I've heard the 1.4TSI engine has issues, also I need automatic and again i've heard some scare stories of the DSG reliability..

Reactions: 219
If you can overlook the badge, any modern ford will be as comfy as anything out there for the price. Built for high mileage business users. I ran a 2010 mondeo for 9 years and it ran circles around any other car I’ve ever owned for sheer comfort. Better than the 320d which preceded it, Way better than my CLK and better than the A6 which replaces it. Class act (crap image).

Try one. You might just be surprised!

If you can overlook the badge, any modern ford will be as comfy as anything out there for the price.

I was going to make the same comment.

A C class should be the most comfortable car in it's class, after all it's what MB used to stand for but the truth is either MB are too keen to emulate BMW in the handling stakes or Ford have better suspension engineers. Perhaps a bit of both. A few model generations back I would have said a C class hit the spot or a Jaguar X type which had a very comfortable ride because it was just a re-bodied Ford Mondeo.

I did look at infinity but the amount of issues our work has had with the company Qashqai fleet i'm not sure I trust Nissans current reliability record, my first car was a Nissan Sunny which was perfect so i'm not a Nissan hater, I also reckon depreciation will be a much bigger hit vs something more established.

My car is my only luxury that I spend extra money on so I do want a badge with a bit of prestige, anyone ever look at the car in the driveway and smile? I know mines only a E class but I want to retain that feeling :)

Out of all the ideas i'm still leaning towards Lexus, might also join a Audi forum and ask about A3 reliability as if they are reliable I think I would prefer the A3 hatchback or saloon, or maybe even a A4, reliability is the only thing thats putting me off an Audi which may be misplaced.

Reactions: 219
As the owner of a new Audi and an old Mercedes (see profile) what I can tell you is that the Audi will not feel like a proper premium car compared to your Mercedes. I am quite disappointed with my new A6. It is quite clearly a Skoda in drag and it bugs me to hell. I knew this before I bought it but in truth I didn’t think I’d notice. But I do notice the shortcomings all the time. It’s no e class alternative. It is - to be blunt- an overpriced VW. My point being..tread carefully if electing to spend more to buy an a3 over a golf. Because you may find yourself similarly underwhelmed.

If you’re talking small exec saloons I don’t think you should discount a 3 series...probably best in class as an overall package!

As the owner of a new Audi and an old Mercedes (see profile) what I can tell you is that the Audi will not feel like a proper premium car compared to your Mercedes.

Ok maybe Audi is out then..

I did consider BMW but again reliability concerned me, my matehad a engine failure on his, something to do with swirl flaps, apparantly a common issue, he was left majorly out of pocket, I'll have another look, maybe they are better now.

Ok maybe Audi is out then..

I did consider BMW but again reliability concerned me, my matehad a engine failure on his, something to do with swirl flaps, apparantly a common issue, he was left majorly out of pocket, I'll have another look, maybe they are better now.

All major manufacturers have cars with faults and failures, even Japanese although they do tend to have lower failure rates overall and higher owner satisfaction.

I was going to make the same comment.

A C class should be the most comfortable car in it's class, after all it's what MB used to stand for but the truth is either MB are too keen to emulate BMW in the handling stakes or Ford have better suspension engineers. Perhaps a bit of both. A few model generations back I would have said a C class hit the spot or a Jaguar X type which had a very comfortable ride because it was just a re-bodied Ford Mondeo.

It was not "just a re-bodied Mondeo", some hard points from the Mondeo chassis were utilised but there were significant changes made by Jaguar, the same chassis again with modifications was used by the Freelander.

It was not "just a re-bodied Mondeo",

Fair enough, I should have said based on a Ford chassis. The X type rides well though and was built when Jaguar was in Ford ownership so they did something right.
The point about making a Ford comparison is that a premium badge on a car no longer ensures more comfort than run of the mill brands and often less. BMW have never pretended to offer the most comfort in the 3 series and below although they tend to have a quiet ride which is some compensation. Audi we have heard about, they seem to have taken the fashion of a firm ride too far. Mercedes is still the best of the big 3 but the C class has got progressively stiffer suspension with each new version so it could be better still. With the E class MB have resisted fashion so it still rides well and will be a very hard act to follow in a smaller car.

What about a Jaguar XE, they ride well but reliability doesn't sound that great.

I very much like Lexus, however, many Lexus (Lexi?) are CVT which can be an acquired taste and I'm not a fan of CVT. Unless you've already driven one, I'd do that before spending too much time researching etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom