Most Dangerous Roads in UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reedswood

Car
Honda Stepwagon and Honda Accord Tourer
The report found a third of serious crashes happened at junctions Half of all fatal road crashes occur on one-tenth of Britain's roads, according to charity the Road Safety Foundation.
Its report, covering 28,000 miles of A-roads and motorways, says Scotland has the highest risk highways, followed by parts of northern England.
It identified the A537 between Macclesfield, Cheshire, and Buxton, Derbyshire, as the most dangerous road.
The charity wants government spending to be targeted at improving safety on the most dangerous roads.
Its report, entitled Saving Lives for Less, suggests the high cost of emergency services and hospitals could be avoided by spending small sums in accident blackspots.
The foundation is the British arm of the European Road Assessment Programme, the sister organisation of EuroNCAP which measures car safety.
Junction danger It examined accident data relating to roads across Britain. Among its conclusions were:
  • A third of all fatal and serious crashes happen at junctions
  • Single roads carry six times the risk of motorways and twice that of dual carriageways
  • One-in-four fatal or serious crash on A-roads or motorways involves a motorcyclist
  • There was a 5% reduction in the number of fatal crashes on such roads in the last three years
  • West Midlands is the safest region
The most improved road was named as the A40 between Llandovery and Carmarthen.
Improved junctions and markings, along with resurfacing with high friction, anti-skid treatments, saw the number of serious accidents fell from 27 between 2003 and 2005 to seven in the following three years.
Foundation director Dr Joanne Hill said such simple, well-planned engineering measures were relatively inexpensive.

MOST DANGEROUS ROADS

• A537 Macclesfield to Buxton - Cheshire/Derbyshire
  • A5012 Pikehall to Matlock - Derbyshire
  • A621 Baslow to Totley - Derbyshire/South Yorkshire
  • A625 Calver to Sheffield - South Yorkshire
  • A54 Congleton to Buxton - Derbyshire
  • A581 Rufford to Chorley - Lancashire
  • A5004 Whaley Bridge to Buxton - Derbyshire
  • A675 Blackburn to Preston - Lancashire
  • A61 Barnsley to Wakefield - South/West Yorkshire
  • A285 Chichester to Petworth - West Sussex
Source: Road Safety Foundation

"Not only can Britain reduce road deaths and serious injuries but, by targeting a relatively small mileage of high-risk roads, we can do so with good economic returns.
"Too often we pay for emergency services, hospitals and care for the disabled rather than taking easy steps to put road design faults right."
The report said the A537 through the Peak District, known as the Cat and Fiddle, had severe bends, steep falls from the carriageway and was edged by dry-stone walls or rock face for almost all its length.
Fatal and serious collisions on the route - popular with tourists, goods vehicles and motorcyclists - rose from 15 in the three years to 2005 to 34 between 2006 and 2008.
Most crashes happened at weekends during the summer in dry, daylight conditions.
The report also names the highest-risk roads when crashes involving motorcyclists are excluded, with a stretch of the A18 in North East Lincolnshire topping the list.
Most of these roads are single-carriageway A roads, with nine of the 10 in northern England.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your Local Roads that are dangerous....highlight corners, bends, and dips!

A581 Rufford to Chorley - Lancashire

I live very close to this road and it was, initially, a surprise to me that it is included.

I was given to understand that the A59 Rufford to Burscough was a far more hazardous road, hence it's 40 limit (the A581 is unrestricted).

I guess that, instead of being cured, the hazard has been moved from one location to another.

Much of the A581 is a wide, smooth road with sweeping bends and good sight lines. Apart from one narrow bridge, you can stay close to the speed limit most of the way and it's a great road to teach the "limit point" / "arrowhead" technique.

There's not much in the way of road furniture to hit, and plenty of privet hedges to slow wayward traffic... very few gaps in the hedges would imply very few cars leaving the road. There's plenty of room to pass cyclists without crossing the centre line, very few houses, so on the face of it, there aren't too many hazards.

At least this is true as far as Croston. Then I thought about the rest of the A581... the bit I use less often.

From Croston onwards, things change dramatically. There are two nasty T junctions with limited vision, soft, badly defined verges and lots of houses, plus entrances to hotels, petrol ststions, pubs, a caravan site and a garden centre. This section is certainly hazard filled; so I guess this is where the accidents occur.

This section is a major commuter route to the M61 so it carries heavy traffic. There has been efforts to improve things with mini roundabouts, ghost islands etc, but there's not much more that can be done, IMHO. I guess there will be cameras and a 30 limit before too long, though.

Last edited:
Most crashes happened at weekends during the summer in dry, daylight conditions.

And there's the real reason for accidents. Lack of attention from behind the wheel.
If the accidents are happening with the roads at their best, ie ''dry, daylight conditions'', then it can hardly be the road at fault.

''weekends during the summer in dry, daylight conditions'' - exactly when the 'tourists' want to go for a nice drive and gawp at the nice scenery - instead of paying attention...

I'll risk the wrath of the Clarkson Clones and say "There are no dangerous roads, only dangerous drivers"

I'll risk the wrath of the Clarkson Clones and say "There are no dangerous roads, only dangerous drivers"
Could it be that the drivers in Derbyshire are significantly worse than in other counties? It's what these statistics show!!

Ducks behind cover and waits for incoming!!

The trouble with the roads mentioned in Derbyshire/Sheffield is:

Some of the roads really are dangerous if you don't know them well.
Those that do know them well become compacent.

I was in the Sprinter on a return trip from Peterborough at 2.00am. In the diabolical fog I had an artic trying to push me along parts of the snake pass because I wasn't travelling as fast as he'd like.

I've used the snake pass on several occasions but don't know every twist and turn. This is how some of the accidents happen. I really would have liked a little chat with that guy. He scared me sh!tless.

Roads such as the Cat & Fiddle are a real challenge for bikers, very enticing, and when there are several bikers racing or just enjoying the challenge that's when things go wrong.

A lot of the roads mentioned in the first post have now been reduced to 50mph.

All-but true, although I went along (I think) Manchester Road in Sheffield recently and one short downhill stretch after half a mile must have caught out many - miss the LH bend and you are over the edge into the fields below. There is no barrier.

Drive sensibly and take into account the prevailing conditions. Simple!

God's Country ?

Dangerous roads ?

Mmmmmmm ...................................

And there's the real reason for accidents. Lack of attention from behind the wheel.
If the accidents are happening with the roads at their best, ie ''dry, daylight conditions'', then it can hardly be the road at fault.

''weekends during the summer in dry, daylight conditions'' - exactly when the 'tourists' want to go for a nice drive and gawp at the nice scenery - instead of paying attention...

I totally agree with that, I lived on Anglesey for a few years and travel there often for work. The A55 can be an absolute nightmare with all the ferry traffic and as the holiday season kicks in it only gets worse. in Aug this year it felt like almost every trip i made i ended up in a que or held up due to some sort of accident or lane hogger pointing at the sea or mountains. the other thing is Bikers are out more during the summer and if there traveling in groups laggers behind try and catch up by taking risks like over taking on corners and in small traffic gaps, ive seen so many near misses this year its untrue.

The report found a third of serious crashes happened at junctions Half of all fatal road crashes occur on one-tenth of Britain's roads, according to charity the Road Safety Foundation.
Its report, covering 28,000 miles of A-roads and motorways, says Scotland has the highest risk highways, followed by parts of northern England.

MOST DANGEROUS ROADS

• A537 Macclesfield to Buxton - Cheshire/Derbyshire
  • A5012 Pikehall to Matlock - Derbyshire
  • A621 Baslow to Totley - Derbyshire/South Yorkshire
  • A625 Calver to Sheffield - South Yorkshire
  • A54 Congleton to Buxton - Derbyshire
  • A581 Rufford to Chorley - Lancashire
  • A5004 Whaley Bridge to Buxton - Derbyshire
  • A675 Blackburn to Preston - Lancashire
  • A61 Barnsley to Wakefield - South/West Yorkshire
  • A285 Chichester to Petworth - West Sussex

Mmm. None in Scotland yet we have the highest risk roads apparently.

Pile of pish IMO.

I used to live in Macclesfield and drove the Cat and Fiddle road on a regular basis. It is dangerous if you drive like an idiot on a busy day. The great thing about it is that you can see a few bends ahead allowing you to drive into them knowing your exit is clear. They aren't forgiving though and follow in quick succession and I think this is where people come unstuck.

The A54 is similar except the road surface can throw you around too. In addition although it is a 60 limit in places there are lots of people pootling along at 40 which can prompt overtaking at the wrong moment.

The A5004 has lots of straights then fools you with a lots of nasty bends. As with the cat and fiddle I think it comes with people over egging it.

The Calver to Sheffield road was where Naseem Hamed crippled someone years ago. I used to drive it to get to Sheffield uni every Tuesday for 2 years.

And of those ten roads, I reckon 7 of them are so well known to bikers and keen drivers they use them as cheap alternatives to trackdays - the consequences of which are the reasons for the statistics. I've driven most of the above without any incident, including ignoring the "road closed" signs in winter on the A54 on two occasions and passing without incident (admittedly a foolish thing in hindsight as any incident or breakdown would have been an interesting phone call after a long cold walk)

Maybe they should close the roads for a couple of days each summer and make them a one way unrestricted toll road (with air ambulances and recovery along the way) so people can get it out of their system.

A249 in Kent, between the M20 & M2.

This is dual carriageway with steep hills tight bends and......U-turns and right turn sections in the barriers. Fatalities are common place as are severe injuries. These are often the result of artics doing u-turns accross the carriageway and cars going under the trailer units. Despite many campaigns to have the speed limit reduced to 50 and or the right turn/u-turns closed (see A249 killer road on Facebook) no action has been taken to reduce deaths or accidents. So it is a motorway with traffic doing U-turns or crossing in front of you and all legal if not fatal.

I live a few hundred yards from one of the right turns and witness the carnage on a regular basis.

Six of those roads are excellent biking roads! The Cat & Fiddle especially although they have buggered that up now by installing average speed cameras from one end to the other.

Six of those roads are excellent biking roads! The Cat & Fiddle especially although they have buggered that up now by installing average speed cameras from one end to the other.

Good reason to stop for lunch at the pub in the middle!

I live mostly just outside of Leek in Staffs so know the routes between Buxton and Congleton snd Macclesfield well, I also have a house in West Sussex near the bottom of the A24, another highly dangerous road, the common factor in the reason for the accident figures on all these roads is they suffer from the blight of recreational motorcycle use
The figures are very interesting and highlight a simple fact, if we banned all two whell transport we would cut casualties by a massive percentsge at a stroke.
The ratio between motorcycles and four wheel transport is around 10 to 1 which makes the casualty figures for cyclists so severe there can be little arguement against getting rid of them.
I know many cyclists will protest, but surely some people need to be protected from their own folly, its no different argument than the seat belt debate or the crash helmet laws and will make a much greater contribution to reducing road deaths than all speed or drink limits legislation,

Stevieb15 I live in between Stoke and Leek so probably not far from you.

I was overtaken on the Leek Buxton road a few years ago (in my then Toyota Avensis) by a guy in a Nissan Skyline with a death wish. He took risks at every manoeuvre and was close to a head on with a landy that he could have seen from a mile away.

For one moment there I thought I was going to read "guy in a yellow sl" !
Yes that ones a nightmare as well
I'm at Rudyard, guess you're Endon way.
Great driving roads all around but a nightmare to overtake safely even with plenty of horses

And of those ten roads, I reckon 7 of them are so well known to bikers and keen drivers they use them as cheap alternatives to trackdays - the consequences of which are the reasons for the statistics.

Maybe they should close the roads for a couple of days each summer and make them a one way unrestricted toll road (with air ambulances and recovery along the way) so people can get it out of their system.

Absolutely spot on. The Macc road is great and they have ruined it with average speed cameras, it is painfully slow now even in an old van.

If people want to die on the roads that is fine by me, killing somebody else is different and should be very harshly punished. I have suggested track-day specials to our local police super and he is not in favour. Pity really, it would be fun.

If people want to die on the roads that is fine by me, killing somebody else is different and should be very harshly punished. I have suggested track-day specials to our local police super and he is not in favour. Pity really, it would be fun.

Where do you start here ...... :eek:

The roads are for the public, private race tracks are for racing - and dying if you so wish.

It's the flagrant disregard for basic road safety that makes these roads dangerous and necessitates the use of additional measures to try and control lunatic attitudes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom