Most Expensive 'A' Service ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robbo

Car
C320 (W203) & A170 (W169)
Just got the C320 back from an A service from the local main dealer. The car is now coming up to 4 years old so I was expecting a few extras but it was rather more expensive than I was bargaining for, coming to a grand total of £877:eek:

Here's the list :-

A service (I supplied 8 litres of mobil 1) £177.34
spark plugs £242
air filter £50
fuel filter £106.37
coolant change £55.94
front anti roll bar bushes £113.24
VAT = £130

It seems a hell of a lot of money, but at least everything is now done for the forseeable future and I have a nice stamp in the service book.

Brian WH said:
Spark Plugs £242 :crazy: :crazy:

Yes, parts £80.28 (12 x 6.69), labour 161.50 :eek:

The trouble is, I didnt really fancy the job myself as they are a bugger to get at. At least they dont need doing for another 4 years. The engine is really smooth now too.

Well i got stuffed big time when i took my car for a B service nearly two years ago (9000 miles ago) to a main dealer: paid nearly £2500 !

Basically, I was taken for the mother of all rides by Wandsworth MB (and I wasn’t in a car). They are probably still regaling themselves on the workshop floor during these long and idle summer afternoons with stories of my monumental ripping-off.

At least when i took it for an A service last May to Hampstead MB I only ended up paying £250 (i guess that makes me "lucky")

Last edited:
RichardM said:
How many hours labour is that to change the spark plugs?

Probably 1.5 but I am not sure. Believe me, there is so little space that I'll wager most of us couldnt do it in that time. You cant even see the ones at the back, let alone get a wrench on them.

But £50 for the air filter, and over £100 for the fuel filter (excluding VAT :crazy: )

Seems a little steep, but I suppose they are standard charges?!?

At those prices, I would be very tempted to pay for the standard service and report, and fit the air fillter, oil filter/oil, and fuel filter myself, or by a trusted mechanic/independant. I am not sure how feasable this would be due to the stealership's policy/service schedules etc, but I would feel a little miffed paying serious wedge for somebody to change basic parts. Imagine paying £100/hour for somebody to wash your car, fill it with fuel as required, and put air in the tyres! Unless your model is very perculier, fitting the air filter isn't much harder than this. :)

I have not seen your particular engine, but I agree that some of those awkward jobs are better left to patient people who have done them before!

Oh well, at least you have the car "all sorted" now.

Fingers crossed for a reliable few months for you, :rock:

Will

I just got mine back after it's first service (A)
Just over £200 inc vat.

I had a facelift c class for the Day (which was nice)

I had asked them to set the comand unit (to enhance my enjoyment.. :bannana: ..lol) for the Instrument cluster, which they have included in the invoice (no charge!!) but i am unable to see any difference?

Road Range Birkdale Near Southport.

Joe

They forgot to stamp the service book....despite leaving it on the passenger seat for them.

Last edited:
But £50 for the air filter, and over £100 for the fuel filter (excluding VAT )

the air filter is £31 and the fuel filter is £59 so the parts are not cheap.

I have just noticed that I was not billed for a brake fluid change, even though the guy on the phone said it needed doing and I told him to do it. I wonder if they relaced the fluid and forgot to charge for it?

My 10k A service was £77 . so sounds like i got away with murder. :D

Robbo said:
the air filter is £31 and the fuel filter is £59 so the parts are not cheap.

The independent I used last week was telling me some fuel filters are really expensive - £60 as you say, and on some models are really hard to get at. Sure you could save money away from the dealership, but I wouldn't be too upset about what you have been charged.

As long as the little extras that really make using the dealer worthwhile - courtesy car, call you sir, foxy blonde receptionist and good coffee were all present and correct - if you were spoke to like scum, kept waiting and generally felt like an inconvenience then spend your money elsewhere next time!

Well, I have checked the brake fluid reservior and it has definately been changed as the reservoir has fresh fluid over it and a plastic cover hasnt been replaced properly. A minor result seeing as that probably would have cost me another £100.

If the parts are that expensive, then fair enough, you are not going to save a lot :(

At least you had no untoward repairs to pay for :cool:

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of how much you would be stung for if a few more "extra" items came to light during the service - eg, brake fluid change, gearbox fluid and filter, brake discs/pads, pollen filter, a sensor of some sort etc etc, couple of miscellaneous items :eek: :eek: :eek:

I bet that could more than double your bill, so I suppose in fairness you haven't done that badly.

On another note, can anybody here trump John Peerce's £2.5K service bill :devil:

Cheers,

Will

Robbo said:
Well, I have checked the brake fluid reservior and it has definately been changed as the reservoir has fresh fluid over it and a plastic cover hasnt been replaced properly. A minor result seeing as that probably would have cost me another £100.

A good thing really that you checked, or your "free" brake fluid change would have been worse than ever. Brake fluid should be kept sealed, as it actively draws moisture/water out of the air, reducing the boiling point, and reducing the performance of your brakes! :eek:

Not meaning to go off on one, but if you are paying the best part of a grand for a service, you expect the most basic of things to be done properly at least. I wouldn't enjoy paying that kind of money to find they have left things like that for me to find myself.

Sorry for the comments if I am speaking out of turn!

Will

Last edited:
will,

There's no problem, the lid was on properly, its just that the brake fluid reservoir sits underneath a plastic cover which covers a few things such as a fusebox. The cover clips on over the top of everything. They hadnt secured all of the clips.

The A and B service is nothing but an overcharged Oil and filter change... Really MB servicing is nothing but a con! After the warranty is up I'd head elsewhere...

Not if you want your mobilo-life corrosion warranty to be maintained...

As long as the little extras that really make using the dealer worthwhile - courtesy car, call you sir, foxy blonde receptionist and good coffee were all present and correct - if you were spoke to like scum, kept waiting and generally felt like an inconvenience then spend your money elsewhere next time![/QUOTE]

As long as you also get your car back in one piece or the same condition that you left it with them i..e no damage/kerbing to the alloy wheels!!! :crazy:

I wonder how this will work out with new EU rules governing the warranties offered by car manufacturers. I thought that the basic principle was that as long as you can show that your car has been serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's schedules, the warranty had to be honoured?

Not sure if this applies to the anti-corrosion warranty offered though?

Maybe somebody here will know for sure?

Will

Robbo said:
Not if you want your mobilo-life corrosion warranty to be maintained...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom