Most Expensive Spark Plugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benzbender

Car
C320 W203
Just had a quote for an A Service on my C320 - £650.00 from my local MB dealer including a change of spark plugs @ their suggestion.

Dealer - A Service with a set of Spark Plugs sir - £650.00

Me - Hhmm seems a tad expensive

Dealer - It's the spark plugs sir, they're showing @ £300.00

Me - You are having a laugh, hang on is it April the 1st

Dealer - I'll recheck the price (me laughing in the background). No sir that is the right price, they are £300.00

Me - (Stunned) Bye Bye

This is £50 per plug!!!!

Are these the most expensive spark plugs in the world?

Its the labour to change them. Its nearly two hours as there are two plugs per cylinder.

those v6 engines have a couple of plugs per cylinder dont they??

Make the effort and go see Olly, Black C55 on this forum down in Portsmouth. Might be a bit further than you wanted to travel but will be better value.

HA! See Olly posted 1 minute before me - must have been typing together

From Winkfield Row to ollys place is only the length of the M3 and a touch more,,you would have to have a very good job for there not to be a huge saving at the end of it

My C200K is booked in with Olly for a B service very soon - and I live in deepest Kent. For all the reasons and more given above.
Do what I am doing. Take a day off work and drive down there and take in some sea air at the same time.
Not so much for the savings you will undoubtably make, but for the peace of mind of knowing that you have had a job well done.
http://www.prestigecarservice.co.uk/services.html

Last edited:
I needed 16 plugs at £8.66 each for the V8 ..

But since you change it once every 4 years or 50k miles, it ain't so bad

I changed them myself on mine - and paid about £5 each from memory for Iridium plugs. Have just done the same on the Maser - sourced from US eBay 8 Denso Iridiums were £53.62 delivered in 3 days.

Why should changing spark plugs be in any way related to a time period?
Surely replacing things like that are totally down to mileage use only?
The car could have been sitting in the garage for half of the 4 years.
I know certain items degrade over time and as such ARE subject to require change over a given time period. But most things car related are only subject to normal wear and tear as a mileage thing. I have never quite understood the logic for a manufacturer to state service intervals to be "15000miles or once a year - whichever comes first". Why? Just a money thing in my view.

I know certain items degrade over time and as such ARE subject to require change over a given time period. But most things car related are only subject to normal wear and tear as a mileage thing. I have never quite understood the logic for a manufacturer to state service intervals to be "15000miles or once a year - whichever comes first". Why? Just a money thing in my view.

Unless, like me, you work in town and the engine is ticking over for half the journey cause you aint moving There is no mileage recorded, but the plugs are still being used.

its really not worth skimping on spark plugs... these days MB and others have a menu attitude towards repairs..

e.g
hesitation = MAF
BAS = Brake Switch
Misfire = MAF/ECU
Black Smoke = EGR valve

i have known many technicians who want to change expensive parts before looking at the basics... when were the plugs changed? when was the air filter renewed, fuel filter etc etc

not necessarily their fault, they just go by most likely cause, especially if the diagnostics dont locate the specific fault...

Dont take risks with basic service items, have them done on time...

Personally i change my plugs every 18M - 2 yrs without fail regardless of mileage..

They seize in the heads if left for too long.

Hmm... I went to school there (many years ago) not heard mention of the place for years... not since the Police got in contact about one of the former teachers anyway.

My wife number one had relations there just along from where Billy Smart had his winter laying up site. :):)

The previous owner of my car spent £330 having the plugs changed by MB.
Are the V12's also twin spark? Those will surely have the biggest bill to get them changed if they are.
Also what's the benefit of having two spark plugs per cylinder?

Yep , if i remember rightly , Maff had a big bill for a plug change on his CL65 ...

£300 odd to change the plugs on our 430 .... buried ....

They seize in the heads if left for too long.
Oh deep joy............not. Had a customer in the other week for a 12 plug change. Started to complain about the £100 I was charging him. Picked up my phone, phoned the Service Desk at my Dealers, asked then to quote for a plug change and handed the phone to the customer. Needless to say it went quiet. My bill was met with thanks. :D

I will change my own when needed, all 16 of them.
I have not looked yet at the mileage at which they should be changed

I will change my own when needed, all 16 of them.
I have not looked yet at the mileage at which they should be changed
IIRC its 60K miles for a plug change

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom