Most irritating quotes from car adverts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love it when it finally sells , the seller instead of just saying 'sold' needs to add 'at full asking price'

This happens particularly with overpriced stuff , or stuff that's come in for a lot of criticism.

Almost like they have to validate themselves.

And it's never true ;) lol

Seller: 'Offers' (I want to see if I can get more than it's worth)

Buyer: How much you looking for?

Seller: Make an offer

Buyer: £1000

Seller: I want at least £2k (Was hoping you would offer £3k)

Buyer: Then bloody say so!

Seller: 'Offers' (I want to see if I can get more than it's worth)

Buyer: How much you looking for?

Seller: Make an offer

Buyer: £1000

Seller: I want at least £2k (Was hoping you would offer £3k)

Buyer: Then bloody say so!

When my E55 estate was on eBay auction I had a similar experience but with buyers:

Buyer: Hello, how much are you wanting for the AMG?

Me: it's advertised on Pistonheads at £13,995 and with the interest I've had, I'll be looking at offers close to that.

Buyer: would you take £9k for it?

Me: I've just said that I've had a lot of interest and already knocked back an offer of £13k.

Buyer: ok, how's £10k sound?

Me: you're either deaf or thick, go away please.

'I'm in no rush to sell and I don't need the money , if it doesn't sell I'll just put it in the garage and keep it'

Suuuuuuuuure you will !

"Immaculate with age-related marks" - such as wrinkles, liver spots.......

I love it when it finally sells , the seller instead of just saying 'sold' needs to add 'at full asking price'

This happens particularly with overpriced stuff , or stuff that's come in for a lot of criticism.

Almost like they have to validate themselves.

And it's never true ;) lol

Well, sometimes it is :bannana:
I put my W168 on eBay for £2,250 and it was sold for £2,250.
Although strictly speaking, I suppose you're correct: I offered to deliver the car to a charming gentleman, who came to view it that afternoon, but was struggling to get his son to drive him back to pick it up same evening. So, full asking less petrol for 19 miles on M1 and £9 train ticket back ... Still, not bad at all :thumb:

Come to think of it, petrol would still be in the car, so should't be included :doh: - just the train ticket then.

Last edited:
Ah , but did you feel the need to tell the world ? To amend your advert ?

'SOLD ! AT FULL ASKING PRICE ! '

I'll wager not ;)

I love the list of options....

Electric Windows (4) -- How many modern Mercs have wind down windows?

Air Con -- Again, can you specify one without these days?

Air Bags -- Isn't this a legal requirement?

...and other standard features that sellers think will sell a car.

Then there are the intangibles...

'Very economical model' -- Only as economical as my right foot.

'Cheap to insure' -- Only if I don't have driving convictions or are old enough to benefit from cheaper premiums.

'Stunning example' -- Dented to buggery.

And what gets me most are those adverts where they only show one photo, as if film is expensive. I mean, they want almost £30,000 for that car, and they justify its sale with one measly photo.

Ah , but did you feel the need to tell the world ? To amend your advert ?

'SOLD ! AT FULL ASKING PRICE ! '

I'll wager not ;)

:D No, of course not ... As it was a classified, I did changed the title, just adding SOLD, and removed all but main picture, blanking the number plate (new owner decided to keep my private reg), and replacing description with "Now sold, thanks".

And what gets me most are those adverts where they only show one photo, as if film is expensive. I mean, they want almost £30,000 for that car, and they justify its sale with one measly photo.

Couldn't agree more! Even some of Mercedes approved listings show 3-4 pics of the exterior only, as if it doesn't matter how it looks inside :dk:

I know I went slightly overboard with description and pictures for my last sale (12 in advert and a link to 128 more), but I think it's still better than a couple of rubbish quality, poorly framed and out of focus photographs...

My vote for the worst car adverts goes to MB dealers.

When I was looking for a used W204 the MB dealer adverts were without exception the worst in terms have number of photographs and the amount of information provided. The impression it gave me was 'take it or leave it' we really can't be bothered.

"Needs head gasket. I've bought the gasket but haven't had time to fit so gasket will be included in the sale."
Wow, thanks for saving us money on the gasket, We'll just shell out the other £600 to get it fitted.

Easy fix
If that is the case why not fix it before putting it up for sale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom