Most/least favourite thing about your Merc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The tacky 1970's era cheap feel to the window & mirror switches & nasty silver plastic heater controls controls. The unreliability of the electrics & air conditioning. This on a 2012 & 2016 Mercedes a marque that seems so up itself & supposed to be superior. I once hired a brand new Ford Focus Ghia & it oozed quality & the switchgear was beautifully damped. But it was a blue collar Ford so really rubbish. Buying a Mercedes is buying into a bit of a confidence trick. Never again. Audi & Honda do it better but sadly neither do a folding hardtop model.
Life is too short to drive a car you don’t love.

Love the engine, noise, and comfort and that it makes me want to put the roof down all the time (visit to elderly parents at weekend and did 150 miles each way with roof down).

Dislike that bi-xenon ILS will not switch on until I am doing over 30mph and that I cannot override to main beam, just flash - loads of v narrow, rural roads near me where you do not get close to 30

P.S. the solution to the start-stop issue for convertible owners is the smarttop module which you can program to disable start-stop

Best thing is the drive, I love it and always love getting in it for a trip out.

Worse thing is the wipers which are really awful and not fit for a 40k plus car.

Robin

Hate the fake rear door tweeter , my 18 year old VW has components in the rear !

Merc has got this
s-l400 (9).jpg

.. and sounds it .

Will replace with these at some point .
focal-165ac-speakers.jpg

How they never finished off with having a matching foot rest .

Still a small package from Australia sorted that one out !

07B6226B-5B8A-48B7-B7E7-49BAA397286F.jpeg

Then there was the doors puddle lights , I genuinely thought they didn't have any .

It's a 5W shared bulb shining light through a slit at the bottom , lol.

What we're they thinking .

20200121_164324.jpg

Another one done .

mercedesbenz_car_door_puddle_l_1606505763_61454f0b_progressive.jpg

Then there's the delightful drive by wire throttle lag , sorted that one too .

Dislike that bi-xenon ILS will not switch on until I am doing over 30mph and that I cannot override to main beam, just flash - loads of v narrow, rural roads near me where you do not get close to 30
If you turn the light switch to normal lights rather than auto, the main beam works as normal, I appreciate this defeats the object of auto lights but it's an easy way to get main beam at low speeds.

If you turn the light switch to normal lights rather than auto, the main beam works as normal, I appreciate this defeats the object of auto lights but it's an easy way to get main beam at low speeds.

Or just turn off ILS in the menu.

Sorry meant to say the rear wiper
On the subject of rear wiper, the angle of the tailgate window on the S203 encourages loads of crud on the window and much use of the wiper. I buy cheap and nasty ones for a few quid and just bin them often. Car is (was?) as daily driver M-way , A/B roads all year 'round. Not so much now (Covid).

Or just turn off ILS in the menu.
Agreed, (and with ToeKnee) but it would be better if a) it worked as it should i.e. come on above 30 kmh (not well above 30 mph) and b) that you could override without disabling it working above those speeds. When it works it is fine (albeit not a patch on the LED systems) just a shame these issues let it down - doesn’t stop me loving almost everything else about the car!

How they do complete led rear lights then give the reversing bulbs halogen glow worms .

Still all sorted now .

Love my C207 350cdi 265bhp (300bhp) Smooth, quiet, fast, reasonably economical, lovely place to sit, and looks stunning! Sure it's it's got it's foibles but nothing that spoils the car for me. That's why whenever I get a slight itch to change, I think why? :) 👍

When I had my beloved and much missed W211 it used to change the clock automatically between GMT and BST in spring and back again in autumn.

The BMWs we have had after needed their clocks set manually in spring and autimn. My VW has a little checkbox that needs to be ticked to switch between GMT and BST.

It's a small thing - but MB got it right.

My other car is a modified Subaru Impreza so I love the merc for it’s quiet soft and effortless cruising speeds for longer journeys (don’t get me wrong blasting round the Scottish highlands for 8 hours is great in the Subaru but not on long motorway journeys) and as for hate this probably applies to most “luxury” cars but I hate the fact everything is complicated on these cars, if my abs goes out in the Subaru I get a wee light and no abs but in the merc nope I get weird feeling brakes stiff steering and a warning light that can give you a tan 😂 oh and also the fact they use a over engineered part to switch from cold to hot air and mine has stuck recently and does nothing but blast Ice out the vents now which is handy given scotland gets snow during the summer

1618213912196.jpeg
Hi Gazwould I am thinking of getting one of these, do you know if it would fit a W213, if so would you be kind enough to send me a link of where I could also purchase.

The roof that tucks itself into the boot......
Seats that massage me....
ABC suspension....

Actually it is easier to say what I don't love.............nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate is a strong emotion, but I seriously dislike the fact that MB designed the whole windscreen wash system on my car (bottle/hoses/nozzles) to be heated , but at the same time couldn't be bothered to programme the spray to start one second before the wiper blades start .

Deleting the drain plug on the transmission TC .

Rust.
How often do you use the wash? Just wondering if the fluid in the tubes runs back over time................

I thought the same Rory , but it seems to be the same when driving in winter on the M way and using it every mins or so, It is of course possible that it is bleeding back through the centrifugal washer pump as there is no one way valve in the system.

But , the you can hear the pump start the same time as the wipers move which would suggest they are on the same circuit without a time delay. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom