Most odd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

Upon waking up and opening the curtains I noticed an unusual object next to our garden fence in the field "next door"

I assumed it was part of the neighbours little quad thing with a roof, and what with trying to get the kids out to school and organising the day, thought no more about it.

Anyway, about midday a helicopter started doing low passes of the house and hovered nearby, the next thing we knew it was landing next in the aforementioned field, and a jumpsuit clad occupant ran over to where we were standing and pointing.

He picked up the object, told me it had fallen off the machine, there would be all hell breaking loose as a result.

I asked if he could make another low pass of the house for the kids,and off he ran, back to the helicopter.

They did make a low pass, the downdraught was immense

Bad day at work for those guys I am guessing

Attachments

• image-197586808.jpg
    image-197586808.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 128
What was it?

Looks similar to one on a Chinook. There's a domed window in the door that pops out when you pull a cord when you want to make an emergency escape. Many years ago in a land far, far away, I was sitting next to one when it popped out all by itself. The crew told the captain and we went down and retrieved it from a large peat bog. http://kingofwallpapers.com/chinook/chinook-001.jpg

Model of helicopter- civil or military? Fortunately it didn't end up embeded in the roof of your car or worse which presumably was purely down to chance. One is left wondering just how many objects/fluids rain down on us on a regular basis from aircraft.

One is left wondering just how many objects/fluids rain down on us on a regular basis from aircraft.

Seemingly very few of any consequence otherwise it would make the news on a regular basis.

It was the coast guard , a Sikorsky I think, and I'm guessing, but I think it is the window from the sliding door on the side.

It ended up 20 feet from where I was working in the garden, but I didn't notice it when it fell, the noise of the helicopter probably drowned it out

I wonder what else goes on around me that I'm oblivious to?

If that had happened near me I would be on the phone to the C.A.A. straight away. The next time it falls out it could land safely in a field again or thousands of other places that may result in something not very nice.

If that had happened near me I would be on the phone to the C.A.A. straight away. The next time it falls out it could land safely in a field again or thousands of other places that may result in something not very nice.

IME the professional aviation fraternity are good at reporting things.

The landing will presumably have been logged as well.

It was the coast guard , a Sikorsky I think, and I'm guessing, but I think it is the window from the sliding door on the side.

Or an Augusta Westland AW139 - these are a bit smaller than the Sikorsky S-92s. CG helos will probably have at least one domed window on each side.

Your picture gives the impression that it is quite dirty - which is surprising.

Everything like this is reported through a Mandatory Occurrence Report through the CAA. It will then require investigation. We have loads of the military equivalent. We also have loads of ac that return with missing panels. Not good but fairly common.

It's amazing the variety of interesting threads we get on here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom