• BMW 745i or 735i or 730i E65

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Volvo S80 P2

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Audi A8 D3

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
A pub discussion from last night, said I would post on here as I suspect some members have run these cars at some time and would welcome comments on them.

Lexus ls400/430.

no discussion.

I threw that one in too but it got ruled out on suspension and brake issues from the people that had them, I thought they were pretty bombproof until last night, the five listed were the top five of our discussions but in no particular order

Not the Audi!! Never an Audi.

your list is wrong.

I've had numerous LS lexus. only once did i have a problem and called the AA, he came out and asked
'which car is it?'
'the ls400'
'no, can't be, they NEVER go wrong'

cracked battery terminal.

the only suspension issues was the drying out of one of the bushes, and really really hot days they knock. once it's cooled they are fine.
other than that its just the lcd display units that go.

Lexus aren't top in every customer survey for no reason.

You're mates were probably embarrassed to admit owning the big lumbering hearse like cars so made up faults.

again, you list is wrong by a long way.

I trump your ls400 with my rx300
Mine was utterly reliable and the build quality was peerless.

However the alloy wheels did corrode.

merc85 said:
never the s80, chocolate autobox's

Only on T6 others are fine geartronic more fragile than bog standard auto but both good for over 200k the dodgy ones are the GM units I believe

we have an rx 300 too :D ....another long story about cracking lexus service....

about 5 winters ago when we had lots of snow the rx300(04 and about 6 years old at that point with full lexus service history) developed a fault on the dash, 3 lights(abs,traction and something else). googled it and only results for combinations of 2 lights, they were quick fixes, so i tried them all.. lights went out for about 30 second drive then come back on.
so i phoned lexus....ok bring it straight down.

ok my ayton, take a seat and a coffee it should only be 1/2 on the diagnosis and a reset.... Mr Ayton, i'll have to run you home, we're not sure of the fault.

an hour later at home i get a call(same man dealing with every aspect). Mr Ayton are you sat down? the problem is a control box had broke its seal and water has got in and blown the lot. This has never happened before so we have no parts, we have to order then direct from japan and its £5500 + £750 labour.....

I sat down then.

.....Now i/we realize this isn't any good for you, so i've contacted lexus head office on your behalf and as a good will gesture as the car is full Lexus history form new, we will give you the part for free and only charge staff labour rates, so it comes in at £500ish.

err ok go ahead.

now i thought this was fishy so i again googled and found lexus head office phone number and rang because it all seemed strange.
I got through to a woman and explained my story, not once giving my name, car details or branch i'd taken it to.....the women came back with 'Mr Ayton, rx300 at lexus teesside, yes, please don't read into our goodwill gesture as anything other than that, we realize that if we weren't to offer it you would have left the lexus brand with negative thoughts and not used lexus in the future. its a genuine offer with no other meaning.

3 days later car was back and good as new.

Lexus are the best cars(maybe not the best looking or fastest etc but the best cars) and have the best customer service by miles. I would highly recommend a lexus over any other brand form my over 10 years of ownership experience.

Totally agree on lexus rx300 cracking reliable motor but the thread is about cars not 4x4 otherwise lexus would have definitely figured in our discussions :)

like i said LS 400 :D

the RX isn't a patch on the LS.

I trump your ls400 with my rx300
Mine was utterly reliable and the build quality was peerless.

However the alloy wheels did corrode.

Exactly the same as mine. I had it 10 years from new and the only fault in all that time was a loose connection on the bonnet-close switch which the Lexus dealer fixed for free when I called in one day while passing. Three years ago I gave the RX to my nephew and there's been no more faults since.

My CL500 is the exact same age as the RX (both registered Jan 2001) and has had more faults than I can be bothered to name.

P250208_163201.jpg

P1020946.jpg

and a cheap one
SAM_0515_zpsacbefa1d.jpg

any excuse to show it off!

My A8 was faultless bar a camshaft sensor over 100k. Amazing car.

S80...making sure ATF service has been changed regularly:thumb:

Not exec car (!) but our little Fiat Panda will be 10 years old next month.

The only fault was a loose battery connection upon delivery. otherwise faultless. Never less than 44mpg and 75 on a good day. 65 on a run seems to be the norm. Not bad for an auto, albeit an electronic one. It's a hoot to drive.

Every time I go out in the CL I worry about the next thing to go wrong.

The XKR has settled down after a spate of small faults when I first got it 10 years ago. I'm hoping the CL will be the same! :rolleyes:

Stuart

I threw that one in too but it got ruled out on suspension and brake issues from the people that had them, I thought they were pretty bombproof until last night, the five listed were the top five of our discussions but in no particular order

I can't speak for the LS430, what I can say is the 400 has no real issues. Brakes, especially front discs can judder but can be skimmed within tolerances, front pads I found are only good for 30k miles depending. Suspension, no more than normal fair wear and tear and suspect both of these 'issues' are more prone to urban/city driving.

I had one fault during my ownership, the pixels going on the centre console (£250 for an exchange unit from a U.K. company) and just when I was selling the car a fault developed with the remote locking, iirc it was £200 receiver mounted in the boot which needed replacement.

I can also say having met many LS owners socially, business and more to the point at the dealership, 'issues' were truly the exception rather than the norm.

There are/was cases of the alternator packing up due to an oil leak from the PAS pump or maybe a hose and wear becoming prevalent in the rear hub bushes but all in all it would be fair to say the LS400 was as close to bulletproof as Luxo barges go.

When all is said done, it would be impossible to leave out the LS on a list like that, actually it sounds like somebody or bodies are anti Japanese.

Honestly, not including an LS on the grounds of unreliability (not image) is frankly laughable.

Last edited:
Another one I threw in was Subaru legacy all 3 of mine never went wrong only routine servicing and between the 3 they covered over 350k trouble free but the consensus wouldn't let that one in either so no anti Jap from me I love some of their cars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom