Most reliable car you ever had

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maha

Car
Suzuki Alto
Whats the most reliable car you guys have ever had, mine hands down is the Suzuki Alto the pinnacle of engineering. I am driving mine now while the S Class is in the garage.

Never brakes is amazing, costs nothing to maintain. Gets respect on the road as people are worried you will scratch their car with yours amazing.:cool:

Without shadow of a doubt the 6 x Volvo V70's I have had, they took real hammer on mine sites and construction sites and went as high as 204k miles on a petrol. Not one of them ever had a failure just routine servicing. Another reason why the police used them I think.

However unfortunately today's Volvo's are not in the same league and I've switched away to VW

Late 90s Honda Civic VTi. 150k in a little over 5 years, pretty much all with the hammer down.

Only 2 indiscretions in that time, a blown tail light bulb and the replacement clutch @115k dying within a week after fitting so not the car's fault.

Which generation/model V70 Ian? I'm semi inclined to buy one as a workhorse. My XC60 runs perfectly but trim is just poor.

Lexus RX300............never missed a beat in 118,000 miles.........only non service items replaced in that time was two O2 sensors (one on each exhaust manifold at around 80-90K) and a rear exhaust box as a weld had corroded (at 110K).

Never broke down, faultered or even had a flat battery.

Two: my 2008 RR Sport TDV8 and my first ever Mercedes which was a 2005 E270 CDi Avantgarde and neither cost me a bean (outside of tyres and servicing) or let me down.

1998 Toyota Camry 3.0 V6

Bought it as a stop gap whilst waiting for a W210 320 to come up for sale. I eventually swapped it in against it (private sale but the guy likes cars) about 12 years ago and the thing was still going up till last year when he got rid of it. Over 230,000 on it and, apart from routine stuff, never missed a beat.

It started, stopped, steered and was reasonably comfortable, with full leather and climate control, but, it was also the most boring car I'd ever owned. No idea why, just too clinical and steady. I knew in my ownership that I could just jump in it and it would get me anywhere, with the reliability which Toyota are renowned for, though it would have been a tedious and bland drive wherever I went in it due to the lack of "personality", or quirkiness I suppose.

I've made a point since of always having at least one car with "character". The Merc seems to tick that box quite nicely. :D

Alfa Romeo 164. I had 5 of them back in the day and totaled about 250,000 miles in them. The only time I was left stranded was when the battery (German!) in one of them failed.

Last edited:
Very telling thread. This being a Merc forum and Mercs supposed to be the pinnacle of quality and reliability, when it takes 7 posts for somebody to report a Merc as the most reliable car they ever had you just know it doesn't get more honest than that. :D

And of course, when a Merc did pop up on post #7, it was and old Merc and the W124 of all things. Again, very telling.

Normally threads like this are full with the cars from the brand the forum is for. That it is not the case here is just again very telling.

For me the most reliable car I ever had was a Mustang GT. I had it for a couple of years and never spent any money besides normal stuff like oil changes etc and I changed the break pads once. But I drove it HARD! :D

Surprisingly it was a real tank! And that V8 was great and bullet proof. Probably because it has so much power and torque. I guess it's hard to break it under normal street driving conditions. But I drove it HARD and it was flawless. It was the cheapest car to own I ever had. And when it came time to sell Mustangs hold their value very well.

Very telling thread. This being a Merc forum and Mercs supposed to be the pinnacle of quality and reliability, when it takes 7 posts for somebody to report a Merc as the most reliable car they ever had you just know it doesn't get more honest than that. :D

And of course, when a Merc did pop up on post #7, it was and old Merc and the W124 of all things. Again, very telling.

Normally threads like this are full with the cars from the brand the forum is for. That it is not the case here is just again very telling.

For me the most reliable car I ever had was a Mustang GT. I had it for a couple of years and never spent any money besides normal stuff like oil changes etc and I changed the break pads once. But I drove it HARD! :D

Surprisingly it was a real tank! And that V8 was great and bullet proof. Probably because it has so much power and torque. I guess it's hard to break it under normal street driving conditions. But I drove it HARD and it was flawless. It was the cheapest car to own I ever had. And when it came time to sell Mustangs hold their value very well.

That Mustang of yours, how did you drive it?

The most reliable car I've ever had was a 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8LS. I bought it at 75k/10 years old for £590 - I then used it for business adding about 95k to it over the next 3 years. All I did was change the oil and filters regularly, tyres, front brake pads, a side light bulb and disconnected the EGR valve (stuffed a bolt up the pipe attached to it to block it as it was causing a misfire - oddly it passed 2 MOT's after doing this although the emissions were apparently borderline!). My boss told me to sell it and buy something newer as it wasn't acceptable to turn up at clients premises in such an old car - I argued it was immaculate and enabled me to argue that we clearly weren't overcharging them as I couldn't afford to buy a flashy motor on what we were charging them - didn't work! Great car!

ha ha breaks sorry. Piece of well engineered kit, has a new feature non shock absorbent "springmatic" very reliable and makes car feel like a Ryanair Jet

1970 Viva SL. Bought it at 6 months old with 42,000 on the clock, and not a mark on it (VGE 750H, if anyone's interested!)

Sold it 4 years later with just over 100,000, and the only non-service item was a new clutch at just under 100,000 miles.

Least reliable? My JZR, but then I built it, and that's half the fun .......................:D

All 11 or 12 of the Mercedes I have owned have been 100% reliable with one exception which was the W202 that had an immobiliser issue once for one day (No I cant give anyone the fix!!!). Prior to that I had a few VW's which were also 100% reliable. Cant say the same for the few BMW's I had.

Good point, and I suppose, in truth, I should say my 2013 MB C220 was the most reliable car I ever had.

However, I didn't think that was in the spirit of the thread, as it was new when I got it, I had it on a two year lease, and handed it back on 22000 miles.

So there would have been something seriously wrong if it hadn't been the most reliable!

Hyundai Lantra Jura and Renault 11 TXE - never had any issues with either of them. Had a Metro which was pretty good bar a broken gear linkage. Least reliable was a Merc W210 E 320CDi Avantgarde - should have known ownership would be an experience when it started going wrong after two weeks of ownership!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom