Most reliable petrol engines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gregor

Car
CLS
Hi,
What are the most reliable Mercedes petrol engines? I mean, modern engines, let's say fitted in cars up to 10 years old now.

for sake of variety, anything with less then 300HP ? :)

M113 with two cylinders not firing, enough said ;)

I would say the M112 E32 engine.

Pretty much bullet proof, and used between 1998 and 2005, so just about makes your 10 year criteria.

M271 4-pot...widely known throughout the world for having the most reliable timing chain and guides ever used

In 15 years of production up till 2014 there have been no known (by Mercedes) faults

M271 4-pot...widely known throughout the world for having the most reliable timing chain and guides ever used

In 15 years of production up till 2014 there have been no known (by Mercedes) faults

Like Vauxhall say there's nothing they can find wrong with spontaneously combusting Zafiras...?

You say that... but this is more to do with longevity (or 'shortivity'...) then with overall reliability. It usually kicks-in at around 80k-100k miles, though admittedly if you don't service it properly it may kick-in earlier.

But if you replace the timing gear with the modifies after-market alternative then the M271 engine has very little other issues.

Possibly the 'oil-in-loom' issues which can be overcome by yet another modification (much cheaper than the timing gear).

But this brings-up the bigger question about corporate psyche...

MB knew for at least a decade that the M271 timing gear dies at around 100k with catastrophic results, and that a simple modification resolve the issue, yet they kept producing the same unmodified M271 engines till the last 4-pot petrol W204 rolled-off the production line.

MB know for at least 15 years now that their wheel bolts rust, and that after-market rust-proof ones resolve the issue... yet for some unknown reason they prefer to keep replacing the bolts under warranty than replace their bolts supplier.

I am sure there are other examples.

Explained perhaps by the oft quoted " Back then Mercedes designed a car ---then worked out how much it was going to cost------- Now they work out how much its going to cost ---then design it! ";)

Have you had problems with yours ?

It just burns an awful lot of oil, and I mean a lot. Done 6-7k in it, put in 15 litres of oil.

Took it down to PCS yesterday, and olly was very helpful. Seems this is quite rare, so its just my luck.

An engine rebuild is rather expensive 2-3k is just not viable on a car that's worth 9-10k. Other options are a new engine, or using additives, not sure how much that's going to help.

It sucks, because I really like the car, and ive spend a fair bit on it, getting it to where it is now.

AMGeed, do you have any info on this member who was burning oil?

Mercedes and reliable? Your having a laugh!! Might wanna look at Toyota.

It just burns an awful lot of oil, and I mean a lot. Done 6-7k in it, put in 15 litres of oil.

Took it down to PCS yesterday, and olly was very helpful. Seems this is quite rare, so its just my luck.

An engine rebuild is rather expensive 2-3k is just not viable on a car that's worth 9-10k. Other options are a new engine, or using additives, not sure how much that's going to help.

It sucks, because I really like the car, and ive spend a fair bit on it, getting it to where it is now.

AMGeed, do you have any info on this member who was burning oil?

Read from post#66 onward

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/amg-lounge/146073-cls55-amg-lets-see-where-all-end-up-5.html

Looks like you unfortunately bought a lemon. Very very rare to hear of any problems with the M113 engine. You along with donshl above have been very unlucky.
For what it's worth, I have put in 0.5lt top up on one occasion in 2.5 years ownership.Its now on 107k

Mercedes and reliable? Your having a laugh!! Might wanna look at Toyota.

Is that why you bought an MB and are desperately trying to sell your Toyota?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom