MOT 6 month extension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
Just announced

dvsa-logo-digital_crop.png

mot-resized-man-under-car-in-mot-bay_original.jpg

New rules on MOT testing for light vehicles
Due to the unfolding COVID-19 situation, cars and vans and motorcycles due their MOT from 30 March 2020 will have their MOT extended by 6 months.

This will continue until confirmed otherwise.

This will allow vehicle owners to continue to be able to get to work where this absolutely cannot be done from home or do essential shopping.

Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition and drivers can be prosecuted if they drive an unsafe vehicle.

We have published guidance for garages.

We've also published 2 guides for the public:

Guidance for MOT garages
The government has extended the requirement for certain businesses to close, but garages are allowed to stay open.

This is to make sure that essential vehicle maintenance and repair to keep vehicles, goods and key workers moving and safe can continue.

That's nice to know.

Just had my reminder through, and would rather not travel out......Car doesn't see much road on a daily basis anyway :)

Thanks

Extended by six months, Really ! Read the small print guys.

Only if your self isolating. So it’s not extended by six months at all.

Glad my indie has managed to fit mine in on Friday before closing.
Car is being collected and delivered.
Now that’s what I call service.

Where does it say that or is it only for cars due before 30/03/20

That’s great news. My Vito was booked on for MOT this coming Saturday at the family garage in our village. It shut up shop a few days ago.

I couldn't see anywhere that it was only if you're self isolating......?

It just says that if it is due after 30th March, then you have a 6 month extension due to the coronavirus....

It’s only extended for six months if the MoT expires on or after 30 March. If it expires before that and you are self isolating because of COVID-19 symptoms you have to get the MoT done as soon as you can.
“The Department for Transport (DfT) is working with insurers and the police to make sure you are not unfairly penalised for not being able to get an MOT.”

It just says that if it is due after 30th March, then you have a 6 month extension due to the coronavirus....
It’s actually on or after 30 March

It doesn't.

Just to show how fickle people are, since HMG announced this morning that car and motorcycle MOT's would have their validity extended for 6 months if they fall due on or after 30th March, there have been a slew of self-appointed experts on social media and phoning up radio stations telling everyone how this will be a world-ending disaster because all of a sudden there will be unimaginable numbers of cars driving around in an unsafe condition.

You really couldn't make it up :rolleyes:

So if you go the full 6 months extension before your mot, will the new certificate show a year or be backdated to the end of the previous mot?

So if you go the full 6 months extension before your mot, will the new certificate show a year or be backdated to the end of the previous mot?
Form the Government website:
Your vehicle will be automatically given a 6-month MOT exemption. This will extend your current MOT expiry date by 6 months.
So the new certificate will start from the date it was issued.

While this is welcome any reference to the requirements for fulfilment of insurance policy conditions are notably absent on first perusal. Phrases such as "the legislation will come into immediate effect for 12 months and will be recognised by insurers and the police" are welcome but I would be actively seeking confirmation in writing from your own insurance company come MOT time to avoid any "misunderstanding" if you haven't received any relevant communication from them by then? :eek:

As a MoT cert is only good for the day it is issued, I can't see it being backdated, certainly not on the emissions records

Well, point understood, but I've still booked CostCentreOne's 13 year old BMW in for MoT tomorrow, with my favourite BMW Indy.

Why? Because the MoT is a safety check, rather than a tax. OK, a laughable safety check, but in principle I'd still rather see it done.

I'll also be checking it over, to my satisfaction, and giving it a bloody good clean....

(Children: you try your best, but they still seem to have 12 hour day jobs to do, instead of spending their evenings cleaning their cars and flats....)

It's just a 5,000 a year weekend car, but safety is safety.

Last edited:
Tbh knowing the state of some cars at a annual 12 months MOT another 6 months is worrying imho

Well, point understood, but I've still booked CostCentreOne's 13 year old BMW in for MoT tomorrow, with my favourite BMW Indy.

Why? Because the MoT is a safety check, rather than a tax. OK, a laughable safety check, but in principle I'd still rather see it done.

I'll also be checking it over, to my satisfaction, and giving it a bloody good clean....

(Children: you try your best, but they still seem to have 12 hour day jobs to do, instead of spending their evenings cleaning their cars and flats....)

It's just a 5,000 a year weekend car, but safety is safety.

I completely agree on the safety value of the MoT, but doesn’t that have to be weighed up against the safety risks of taking your car to get it tested and the chances, no matter how small, of the virus being passed on? If it’s just a weekend car, that implies that it’s never used for essential journeys. Why not just leave it, and yourself, at home?

I completely agree on the safety value of the MoT, but doesn’t that have to be weighed up against the safety risks of taking your car to get it tested and the chances, no matter how small, of the virus being passed on? If it’s just a weekend car, that implies that it’s never used for essential journeys. Why not just leave it, and yourself, at home?

I'll be wearing surgical gloves, as will the garage.

Touch transmission can only occur within a day or so of touch, if then, only if the vapour reaches the mouth.

Personally, I think it's important that the brakes and steering work properly at 50 and 70mph on a Saturday, more than at 20mph on a Tuesday, outside a school.

And I value that safety more than the loaf of bread I'll buy from a Bakery today.

But we all make our individual choices regarding our own safety. And we know that more than a million cars are driven WITHOUT MoT's.

It maybe helps that I suspect that I, my wife, my son, and his wife, have "probably" all had this bug already, but that's another issue.

Good news for my 420d at least... will be due it's first MOT on 8th April, but considering that it's a summer car and has only done <9000 miles, and <2000 miles since it's last service I don't imagine that it will pose a danger.

The other cars in the Meldrew household are due in September & October... so with this 6 month extension all three will be due around the same time in future years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom