MOT 6 month extension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While this is welcome any reference to the requirements for fulfilment of insurance policy conditions are notably absent on first perusal. Phrases such as "the legislation will come into immediate effect for 12 months and will be recognised by insurers and the police" are welcome but I would be actively seeking confirmation in writing from your own insurance company come MOT time to avoid any "misunderstanding" if you haven't received any relevant communication from them by then? :eek:
Lack of MOT does NOT invalidate insurance : you have to have insurance first before you can take car for an MOT test . This has been done to death .

In many places in Europe the MOT (or rather the equivalent of) is due every 2 years, not every one year.

I am not opposed to annual safety checks, but just to say that the MOT frequency is not inscribed in stone and I doubt that a one-off 6 months' extension will have a detrimental effect on overall raod safety.

This is even before mentioning the massive decline in traffic, accidents, and the resulting injuries and deaths on our roads due to the current situation.

Lack of MOT does NOT invalidate insurance : you have to have insurance first before you can take car for an MOT test . This has been done to death .
I either case... the car would still have a valid MOT.

It's the government who decides if an MOT is valid or not.

The clue is in the name....

New cars don’t see one for three years, a lot can happen to a car in that time.
So a six month extension doesn’t seem a lot, I appreciate some people do t maintain their cars as well as others.

From the SAGA motor insurance policy document, general conditions applicable to all the policy.. (My highlighting)
2. Your responsibility
a. Taking care of your vehicle
You must do all you can to protect your vehicle and its contents
from loss or damage and keep and maintain your vehicle in a
roadworthy condition. If we ask, you must let us examine your
vehicle at a mutually convenient time. Your vehicle must have a
current MOT certificate if applicable

Download Policy Books | Saga Car Insurance

The typical UK service inspection interval has (temporarily) been extended by 50%.
FTFY.

(Predicated on the fact that those who don't have their car serviced will generally only have tools applied to it to rectify an MOT failure)

New cars don’t see one for three years, a lot can happen to a car in that time.
True, but the logic is that cars of less than 3 years old are generally subjected to regular servicing.

@markjay makes a couple of important points, above:

1) Many countries choose to have vehicle safety inspections every two years rather than annually without a significantly worse outcome, and...

2) most cars won't be driven much over the coming weeks, so the chances of a vehicle driven in a dangerous state (that would have been detected by a timely MOT test) are very, very, slim.

This is one of those "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" scenarios.

From the SAGA motor insurance policy document, general conditions applicable to all the policy.. (My highlighting)
2. Your responsibility
a. Taking care of your vehicle
You must do all you can to protect your vehicle and its contents
from loss or damage and keep and maintain your vehicle in a
roadworthy condition. If we ask, you must let us examine your
vehicle at a mutually convenient time. Your vehicle must have a
current MOT certificate if applicable

Download Policy Books | Saga Car Insurance
If the DVSA extend the MoT for 6 months, then it remains current during that period.

If the DVSA extend the MoT for 6 months, then it remains current during that period.
Correct but I was responding to Pontoneer's statement that a lack of MoT doesn't invalidate insurance. SAGA's policy seems unequivocal?

The typical UK service interval has (temporarily) been extended by 50%.

Will MB be telling the cars computer otherwise many more owners will need to learn to do a service reset or be annoyed with the service overdue warning at every start up.

Mine is due in a few weeks but it won't be a problem as I will be doing it.

Still showing my MOT expiring 14/04 online

Mine is due on the 4th, Now wondering whether to bother at all , may just take her off the road, undecided atm.

I don’t have to worry now as my car was serviced and received it’s first MOT today.
Collected and delivered from my home.
Many thanks to Automotive Solutions Ayr. They have now closed down for two weeks they say.

Save on the VED I guess and a good chance to do some wheels off detailing :D

Work with me here please. :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom