MOT 6 month extension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Exactly this^ Its not like im going tobe using it? and the detailing time :)

I've thought the same but then I think, what would I save and is it worth it.

Maybe £325 / year, £27 month, that's the cost of a couple of coffees a week so I don't buy take away coffee. ;)

Keep it on the road and at least enjoy when you go to the shops.....please.

Typical Gearbox service just done , Engine oil and filter changed lol, Cleaned and already for use , Oh well best i sit er on some axle stands and get cleaning ;)

I've plenty of other vehicles i can use to get to work, although im not sure how much longer for :(

Yes Pat you have a point, i dont know, i will have a good think over the weekend.

I've plenty of other vehicles i can use to get to work, although im not sure how much longer for :(

You are not alone Gav. so try and stay as positive as you can.
A lot of worried folks out there, I chatted to our accountant today (known him over 30 years) and he said the next few week are going to be tough for very many people.

Yes Pat you have a point, i dont know, i will have a good think over the weekend.

I'd miss your posts so take note. ;)

In many places in Europe the MOT (or rather the equivalent of) is due every 2 years, not every one year.

I am not opposed to annual safety checks, but just to say that the MOT frequency is not inscribed in stone and I doubt that a one-off 6 months' extension will have a detrimental effect on overall raod safety.

This is even before mentioning the massive decline in traffic, accidents, and the resulting injuries and deaths on our roads due to the current situation.
Ironic . too , that the price of petrol right now is the lowest it has been for ages .

I either case... the car would still have a valid MOT.

It's the government who decides if an MOT is valid or not.

The clue is in the name....
In the instance of cars benefitting from this extension , yes . However too many people think that a lack of MOT invalidates insurance , which it does not . Insurance has to be in place BEFORE a car can be driven to a pre arranged MOT test , and if the car does not have a valid test certificate at that time , the lack of it cannot invalidate the insurance .

From the SAGA motor insurance policy document, general conditions applicable to all the policy.. (My highlighting)
2. Your responsibility
a. Taking care of your vehicle
You must do all you can to protect your vehicle and its contents
from loss or damage and keep and maintain your vehicle in a
roadworthy condition. If we ask, you must let us examine your
vehicle at a mutually convenient time. Your vehicle must have a
current MOT certificate if applicable

Download Policy Books | Saga Car Insurance
Except that if you are taking the car for an MOT test , you MUST have insurance in place in order to drive the car there - that clause cannot be used to invalidate insurance .

Legislation makes an exemption from the requirement of having an MOT certificate for the purpose of taking the car to a test and bringing it away , also for taking it to a place of repair and bringing it back - so in these instances the MOT requirement is 'not applicable' .

It can if you are driving anywhere other than those instances you mentioned.
Perhaps the element of a claim toward your own damage , but not the element towards third party losses ; also , and a more pertinent example , if you have a vehicle on SORN , on which the MOT expires , they cannot refuse cover against losses due to fire , theft or , as happened to me , a third party causing damage to your vehicle whilst parked on your own property .

Although I SORN my cars when not using them , I keep them insured all year round .

In each of those cases , there is no legal requirement for the vehicle to have an MOT certificate , so it is ‘not applicable’ and therefore not a valid reason to refuse cover .

Because it is a legal requirement for insurance cover to be in place BEFORE a vehicle can be taken for an MOT test , the lack of certification cannot in itself be used as a reason to refuse cover .

Spoke to somebody who drives old cars and he said well my MOT is due the 6th april,this 6 month extension will do me fine,and that I think will sum up most drivers thoughts especially if they normally have to do repairs to get it through the test.

Reactions: 219
I've thought the same but then I think, what would I save and is it worth it.

Maybe £325 / year, £27 month, that's the cost of a couple of coffees a week so I don't buy take away coffee. ;)

Keep it on the road and at least enjoy when you go to the shops.....please.
You must buy expensive coffee

30p a cup in our staff canteen

I think it’d be best for anyone with a new car to get its first mot before the 3 year warranty expires rather than take advantage of the extra 6 months

I think it’d be best for anyone with a new car to get its first mot before the 3 year warranty expires rather than take advantage of the extra 6 months
Can you get an extra 6 months on something that doesn’t exist?

That rule came out the day after I had my MOT (due on 30th) done on a car that has only done 15,000 miles.:mad:
Had mine done a few days earlier but was also due on the 30th with similar miles (2k miles since it’s last MOT)

Glad I had it done though just for piece of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom