MOT Advisories?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjules51

Car
CLK 220 cdi 2008 W209
12th March MOT test at Halfords Watford while I waited. Have used them many times for MOTs and Tyres and never a problem, till now. First off, car returned to me with a PASS but with the dashcam unplugged? Four advisories 1.1.11 (c) "Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material" applicable to NSF OSF NSR OSR. It had been raining heavily and the car was soaked with rain/mud underneath?

Very strange as WG had serviced the car and changed the rear pads and no problems found. Also, a "failure" that I was unaware of." Headlamp aim projected beam image incorrect" 4.1.2 (c)
Even stranger as I replaced both headlamp bubs myself about 3 months ago. Whilst not a master engineer I can assure you it is virtually impossible to incorrectly fit a bulb.

WG have looked at all my brake pipes and hoses and found nothing amiss. Ideas anyone please?

I have contacted Halfords and will see them next week.

With respect; the first mistake is an MOT at Halfords;
there is no going back now since your MOT findings, right or wrong, are in the DVLA system.

12th March MOT test at Halfords Watford while I waited. Have used them many times for MOTs and Tyres and never a problem, till now. First off, car returned to me with a PASS but with the dashcam unplugged? Four advisories 1.1.11 (c) "Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material" applicable to NSF OSF NSR OSR. It had been raining heavily and the car was soaked with rain/mud underneath?

Very strange as WG had serviced the car and changed the rear pads and no problems found. Also, a "failure" that I was unaware of." Headlamp aim projected beam image incorrect" 4.1.2 (c)
Even stranger as I replaced both headlamp bubs myself about 3 months ago. Whilst not a master engineer I can assure you it is virtually impossible to incorrectly fit a bulb.

WG have looked at all my brake pipes and hoses and found nothing amiss. Ideas anyone please?

I have contacted Halfords and will see them next week.

I'm confused - did your car pass or fail the MoT?

Dash cam was probably removed as having it mounted in the area swept by the wipers is a failure

The headlamp issue means the whole shell needs adjusting - not the bulb. Required more frequently these days as the rougher roads tend to knock the alignment out.

Flagging the brake pipes is a protective measure by the inspector to indicate he was unable to properly assess the condition of the hoses and pipes as there were "covered in grease or other material"

Brake pipes is subjective and what may fail one person may pass for another if marginal. Depending on whether they are plastic coated often a light rub down to remove surface pitting is enough.

Light bulbs can easily be misfitted seen it dozens of times, even by the most experienced. However it can also be a perfectly fitted bulb, but if the unit itself is misaligned then this is what needs fixing.

Your post is confusing, you can't have a pass with fail items, advisories yes, but not failures. So did Halfords correct the headlight alignment and then re-issue a pass which would then just leave an advisory on the brake pipes. If so, not sure where your issue is. If the brake pipes have been subsequently checked and been found to be ok then don't worry about it. Just have them checked agaion when serviced next year. Another tester may not even flag them as it can be subjective and is there to flag a potential issue for you to investigate and rectify if required.

Dash cam was probably unplugged to protect their staff. People should be expecting this whenever a car is in the hands of another party. You have no legal right to record them or their facilities. There is nothing malicious in it, just their policy and within their rights.

#4 Dash Cam in same position for last 3 years with Halfords doing all the MOTs. # 5 Light bulbs not misfitted and unit not misaligned. I did not realise until I left Halfords that there was even a problem with the headlight. I was only told about the 4 advisories and have no idea what they did regarding headlamp. Yes it did pass. #3 I have never had a problem with Halfords before and hoping its just a one off. I realise its now done and dusted but I would very much like to speak to the person who did the testing. Very odd question was asked when I phoned them earlier to complain. "What day of the week was the MOT carried out". #2 Nice outcome would be an apology at the very least. If I were selling the car now and a prospective buyer used MOT checker I'd be knackered, especially as my CLK is probably one of the best kept models around.

I find it is best to find a MOT place that does not salute the flag every morning,I use one about 10 miles away,a lot of traders use them,the likes of Halfords ,ATS,and Quickfit are about the worse places to get a MOT.

#4 Dash Cam in same position for last 3 years with Halfords doing all the MOTs. # 5 Light bulbs not misfitted and unit not misaligned. I did not realise until I left Halfords that there was even a problem with the headlight. I was only told about the 4 advisories and have no idea what they did regarding headlamp. Yes it did pass. #3 I have never had a problem with Halfords before and hoping its just a one off. I realise its now done and dusted but I would very much like to speak to the person who did the testing. Very odd question was asked when I phoned them earlier to complain. "What day of the week was the MOT carried out". #2 Nice outcome would be an apology at the very least. If I were selling the car now and a prospective buyer used MOT checker I'd be knackered, especially as my CLK is probably one of the best kept models around.

What exactly is the nature of your "problem" with Halfords? That they smited your car's MoT history? What exactly will an apology achieve? The fact you received a few advisories is a good thing as you can now address those issues before they become significant, thus ensuring your car continues to be "one of the best kept models around".

The fact the qualified MoT tester recorded an advisory (not a failure as you first indicated) suggest there IS a problem, which perhaps is not visible to the naked eye. What checks and measurements did you make to conclude the lights are not misaligned?
The requirements are very specific and a dedicated alignment machine is used by the MoT tester to confirm compliance.

Don't forget that new MoT regulations were introduced in May last year so what may have passed in March / April 2018 might not pass now - eg obstruction to view through windscreen. Section 3.1 covers the view through the windscreen and has been revised :

An obstruction:

- within the driver’s field of view that materially affects his view in front or to the sides outside the swept area of windscreen = Minor

- materially affecting the driver’s view of the road through the swept area of the windscreen or an obligatory external mirror not visible = Major

Perhaps next time take to an independent MoT station, run by your local authority - as they do not undertake repairs, they have no reason to err on the side of generating repair work...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very odd question was asked when I phoned them earlier to complain. "What day of the week was the MOT carried out". #2 Nice outcome would be an apology at the very least. If I were selling the car now and a prospective buyer used MOT checker I'd be knackered,
Not very odd at all, they possibly have a number of testers and would need to know which one was "on duty"..
An apology for what exactly?
Of course you wouldn't "be knackered" a prospective buyer would see it as an advisory and something to perhaps haggle over but I doubt it would matter either way..

My wife's Rav had an advisory showing a rear brake pipe corroded and after completing the MOT they said that they had put a layer of grease on the pipe to protect it until I undertook the replacement. Two weeks later it went in for replacement, when they cleaned it off they decided on close inspection it was only light surface rust so it was left untouched. The garage commented that during the MOT there was not the time to give it a closer inspection hence the advisory.

The garage commented that during the MOT there was not the time to give it a closer inspection hence the advisory.

Re above, and generally the difficulty is assessing the condition of brake pipes WRT corrosion, we need IMO, to be a bit more proactive ourselves.
I had a brake pipe burst. Hidden behind an undertray, its condition had been missed. Trying to free a seized wheel cylinder by 'standing' on the brake pedal, the pipe burst. Extreme pressure admittedly, but unlikely to be less than might be applied in a true emergency braking scenario - in which case half the braking would have been lost.

My wife's Rav had an advisory showing a rear brake pipe corroded and after completing the MOT they said that they had put a layer of grease on the pipe to protect it until I undertook the replacement. Two weeks later it went in for replacement, when they cleaned it off they decided on close inspection it was only light surface rust so it was left untouched. The garage commented that during the MOT there was not the time to give it a closer inspection hence the advisory.

exactly - a protective measure by the inspector to indicate he was unable to properly assess. Remember the timings for a test are recorded and anything too short or too long can prompt an visit from a DoT inspector

A friend went to Halfords for new tyres on his classic mini, as he watched, the fitter jacked the car up on the middle of the sill, bending the car, he stopped them, but it cost a great deal to put it right, Halfords denied any responsibility and he had to go to law, successfully thank God. I wouldn't trust them to fit a wiper blade ! Camera could have been moved for their privacy. as for the timing, how can they mark down an item they haven't inspected it ? what a nonsence ! If you're convinced it's wrong, contact VOSA, they'll investigate, also Trading Standards will have records of previous complaints. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

A friend went to Halfords for new tyres on his classic mini, as he watched, the fitter jacked the car up on the middle of the sill, bending the car, he stopped them, but it cost a great deal to put it right, Halfords denied any responsibility and he had to go to law, successfully thank God. I wouldn't trust them to fit a wiper blade ! Camera could have been moved for their privacy. as for the timing, how can they mark down an item they haven't inspected it ? what a nonsence ! If you're convinced it's wrong, contact VOSA, they'll investigate, also Trading Standards will have records of previous complaints. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Timing????

there is no going back now since your MOT findings, right or wrong, are in the DVLA system.

You can say that again. Our S203 has this MOT fail on file:

Reason(s) for failure

• Nearside Rear Electronic parking brake control defective so that it cannot be satisfactorily operated not working (3.1.3c)
  • Offside Rear Electronic parking brake control defective so that it cannot be satisfactorily operated not working (3.1.3c)

It doesn't have electronic parking brakes.

On the same day, same test centre, and same mileage the correct pass is also recorded. I spent about 6 months on and off trying to get the spurious entry removed, got nowhere, and gave up in the end.

You can say that again. Our S203 has this MOT fail on file:

Reason(s) for failure

• Nearside Rear Electronic parking brake control defective so that it cannot be satisfactorily operated not working (3.1.3c)
  • Offside Rear Electronic parking brake control defective so that it cannot be satisfactorily operated not working (3.1.3c)

It doesn't have electronic parking brakes.

On the same day, same test centre, and same mileage the correct pass is also recorded. I spent about 6 months on and off trying to get the spurious entry removed, got nowhere, and gave up in the end.

Is it possible the tester selected the wrong code and there a different, advisory, issue?

Is it possible the tester selected the wrong code and there a different, advisory, issue?

I guess it's possible. Mistakes will happen of course ... just seems a bit silly that they can't be corrected.

I guess it's possible. Mistakes will happen of course ... just seems a bit silly that they can't be corrected.

Quite!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom