MOT and CATs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Does anyone know for definite if an E55K will pass it's MOT if it is only fitted with secondary CATs?

The mechanic who MOT'd my E55 last month told me any sign of missing cats is an automatic fail at his chain of garages (Elite)
I was under the impression that if the car passes the emissions tests it is a pass:dk:

if the cats are "empty" but present, they do not have any means to inspect further

Had my secondary CAT removed [CLK 500] and passed MOT without a flicker. The main CAT does more than enough 'good stuff' to get through the emissions test....

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Had my secondary CAT removed [CLK 500] and passed MOT without a flicker. The main CAT does more than enough 'good stuff' to get through the emissions test....

Problem is, the OP appears to be asking if its an MOT pass if the main cats are removed and relying only on the secondary cats.

AMGeed said:
Problem is, the OP appears to be asking if its an MOT pass if the main cats are removed and relying only on the secondary cats.

....Sorry - are you with the 'Comment Police'? Just adding an observation - isn't that allowed?

....Sorry - are you with the 'Comment Police'? Just adding an observation - isn't that allowed?

Of course you can add your observation. I was just pointing out the OP wasn't asking about secondary cats.

Jeez some people are so touchy:doh:

Lol. I love forums.

I was under the impression that if the car passes the emissions tests it is a pass:dk:

No, the regulations changed at the beginning of *2012 I think and now if a car was fitted with CATs when it left the factory, it should still have them (regardless of emissions).

Previously, I only had primaries (secondaries removed) and it passed without issue - even after the new regulations.

However, I am looking to just have secondaries without primaries.

So yes, if just secondaries fitted, is this an MOT failure?

Last edited:
Lol. I love forums.

No, the regulations changed at the beginning of 2013 I think and now if a car was fitted with CATs when it left the factory, it should still have them (regardless of emissions).

Previously, I only had primaries (secondaries removed) and it passed without issue - even after the new regulations.

However, I am looking to just have secondaries without primaries.

So yes, if just secondaries fitted, is this an MOT failure?

Technically, yes a fail. The MoT regs require all factory fitted CATs to be present.

As posted above, if the CAT has been gutted but still physically present and the car passes emissions test its very unlikely to be failed.

In practice, as long as the car passes the emissions test most testers won't check. IMHO

If the primary CATS are missing its an automatic fail. If the cans are still in place but empty and passes the emissions test then thats fine.

VOSA are clamping down on this big time, 2 testers had their license suspended around here for passing vehicles that had had decat's. VOSA perch outside the test centers that are associated with performance cars and the either raid whilst on test or wait until just after the test, as they have live info on their laptops from the VOSA terminal in the garage so know if the tester has passed or failed the car.

Best advice for anyone with a decatted performance car take it to a back street garage that does MOT's :thumb:

Couldn't all this stress and worry about CATs, secondary CATs and de-CATs be avoided if people just left the damned things alone ?

Couldn't all this stress and worry about CATs, secondary CATs and de-CATs be avoided if people just left the damned things alone ?

Couldn't all the stress and worry about global warfare and famines be avoided if people were just nicer, more tolerant, and fairer with each other. :thumb:

Just saying.

VOSA are clamping down on this big time, 2 testers had their license suspended around here for passing vehicles that had had decat's. VOSA perch outside the test centers that are associated with performance cars and the either raid whilst on test or wait until just after the test, as they have live info on their laptops from the VOSA terminal in the garage so know if the tester has passed or failed the car.

This is a bit of a worry - I wonder how long before VOSA will start taking the same stance with DPF's?

Couldn't all the stress and worry about global warfare and famines be avoided if people were just nicer, more tolerant, and fairer with each other. :thumb:

Just saying.

Most definitely.

However, one is probably impossible to achieve whilst the other merely requires you to leave well alone.

Most definitely.

However, one is probably impossible to achieve whilst the other merely requires you to leave well alone.

Call me an old cynic, but I think there's as much chance of securing world peace as there is of stopping folks playing about with their cars.

This is a bit of a worry - I wonder how long before VOSA will start taking the same stance with DPF's?

They already are, I know of a least one garage who have had their MOT license revoked for passing cars with DPF deletes.

Again best advice gut the DPF but leave the can in place. Remember an MOT tester is not allowed to go digging for faults so are not allowed to inspect cat or dpf internals. A classic example of this is where the exhaust of a car runs inside the flat cover that covers the full bottom of the car (some BMW's) the tester cant remove or look inside the cover so has to give benefit of doubt that cats and dpf are in place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom