MOT and Vehicle Color

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I need to get one of my bikes MOT'ed... that said, I'm working on getting it re-sprayed following a few scrapes.

In the meantime, I will have a set of black fairings on the bike (instead of red).

Does anyone know if the color of the vehicle/motorbike is checked at the mot (I know there is a color on the V5 listed... but it doesn't seem right that I would need to change the V5 for a few weeks of "black")

M.

I doubt it will be a problem at all for the MOT Spinal.

There is no colour check at MOT test time.

Colour is not checked at MOT as most of the time (unless its the 1st MOT) V5 is not present.

Same question often gets asked about engine replacements, again not checked.

The colour IS checked at MOT time, and will be amended on the database by the tester. Doesn't really matter legally, but will come up on an police check.

Yep - I thought colour was noted, it used to be (still is?) written on the MOT test certificate.

I remember some of the cars that I've owned being classed as a different colour over the years on the tests. Eg 'blue-black metallic' sometimes being described as grey, other times as black, etc.

Not aware of any problems though :)

Will

Car and bike MOT's.

Always used to note the colour of the vehicle. Same when I had motorbikes, it was noted on the certificate :thumb:

Google image as I don't have bikes these days :eek:

yamyam10.jpg

Car and bike MOT's.

Always used to note the colour of the vehicle. Same when I had motorbikes, it was noted on the certificate :thumb:

Colour is noted on the certificate, database gives the colour of the bike at registration, but what if for instance if the tank is blue, fairing is red and frame is green what colour is the bike? It could be changed by the tester every year on the database if the bike went to a different test station each year depending on the testers interpretation

So in answer to the OP colour is noted but not checked, you can't fail a car or bike for being the wrong colour, tester can amend the colour but most don't particularly on bikes as colour is a subjective thing, when is black blue? when is blue black? etc.

In order to state the colour of the vehicle on the test certificate, the tester needs to check the colour - even if that in itself is open to interpretation.

Obviously it won't fail if the colour is described differently to what is on the V5, but it is checked and noted :thumb:

As I say, I've had a few cars that have been issued with test certificates citing different colours, so it is checked and noted - not just pulled off a database otherwise it would be entered as it is recorded on the V5 :)

Great, thanks!

I'm curious though... given that I now have two sets of fairings (one red and one gunmetal), I can change them whenever I want...

If one weekend I ride a red bike, and the next a grey one... well... I can't really get the V5 updated every week... right?

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom