MoT Certificate clerical error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
A fiend of mine had one of his work vans mot'd last year via a third party workshop, who does his regular servicing and maintenance. After trying to tax the vehicle it has become apparent that the mot testing station issued the certificate with the incorrect reg number, so the van is showing as having no mot. It's booked in for another mot this Friday, a month or so early, but where does this leave the driver of the van in the meantime? He has taken it up with the servicing workshop, who carried out the corresponding repairs, but they are no longer dealing with the mot station involved.

Is there a procedure for testing stations to correct clerical errors such as this with DVSA?

I had a spurious MOT fail recorded against our W203 (presumably for another vehicle as it referred to a defective electronic parking brake ... which the W203 doesn't have). The DVSA did say they could get it removed but I gave up in the end after chasing them for a couple of months.

The email address is: [email protected]

My SL was incorrectly described as an SLK in a number of MoT certificates prior to my buying it, and one after I bought it.

It took some time but in the end the DVSA provided amended, corrected, certificates.

NJSS

Reactions: MD5
I had a spurious MOT fail recorded against our W203 (presumably for another vehicle as it referred to a defective electronic parking brake ... which the W203 doesn't have). The DVSA did say they could get it removed but I gave up in the end after chasing them for a couple of months.

The email address is: [email protected]
Thanks, Bill. The testing station say there is nothing they can do and are offering a free mot, but their reputation is off putting.

Thanks, Bill. The testing station say there is nothing they can do and are offering a free mot, but their reputation is off putting.
MoTs are so cheap that offer is worthless.

MoTs are so cheap that offer is worthless.

I read it to say that the free MOT wasn't offered as compensation, instead will sort-out the issue? The van will have a valid MOT for another year, and all is well.

The alternatives are to either drive around for another month with the MOT being in limbo, or, as the OP is suggesting, to get the DVSA to somehow correct the reg plate on the certificate.

I read it to say that the free MOT wasn't offered as compensation, instead will sort-out the issue? The van will have a valid MOT for another year, and all is well.

The alternatives are to either drive around for another month with the MOT being in limbo, or, as the OP is suggesting, to get the DVSA to somehow correct the reg plate on the certificate.
Or get it tested tomorrow.

Correct, Mark, and no doubt an admission of error. The third party (his regular) workshop no longer uses the testing station and have booked his vehicle in for a test elsewhere on Friday and can facilitate any repairs necessary, along with the usual service on the day. If it's tested tomorrow (my suggestion also) and fails, he can't get it repaired until then anyway and one of his fellas can't work for the rest of the week because of this.

As I said, the vehicle is legitimately motd, but the clerical error will have invalidated this and I feel the original testing station should be able to rectify this, but they are saying no.

A fiend of mine had one of his work vans mot'd last year via a third party workshop, who does his regular servicing and maintenance. After trying to tax the vehicle it has become apparent that the mot testing station issued the certificate with the incorrect reg number, so the van is showing as having no mot. It's booked in for another mot this Friday, a month or so early, but where does this leave the driver of the van in the meantime? He has taken it up with the servicing workshop, who carried out the corresponding repairs, but they are no longer dealing with the mot station involved.

Is there a procedure for testing stations to correct clerical errors such as this with DVSA?
Don’t they use VIN as well as VRM?

Don’t they use VIN as well as VRM?
The vin is also incorrect. I assume it corresponds to the incorrect reg no entered by the testing station on an auto fill basis? Coincidentally they are both VWs, and I suppose it's even possible they tested both vehicles that day and mixed the certificates up, but what are the odds?! I believe it's just the last letter that's adrift.

Last edited:
I suppose it's even possible they tested both vehicles that day and mixed the certificates up
Thinking about it his vehicle would still be showing a valid MOT in that case, so that's not possible.

Thinking about it his vehicle would still be showing a valid MOT in that case, so that's not possible.
Will it? The mistake was last year, so it makes me think that officially he’s been running around with no MOT since the previous one ran out.

If so, a bit of a dog’s breakfast to sort out if he’d been picked up by ANPR camera, or had an insurance claim, as they may have voided it.

Will it? The mistake was last year, so it makes me think that officially he’s been running around with no MOT since the previous one ran out.

If so, a bit of a dog’s breakfast to sort out if he’d been picked up by ANPR camera, or had an insurance claim, as they may have voided it.

If he has been on the UK roads for 10 months or so, with this problem, it isn't really a day to day problem.
Unless he is using single track lanes in Norfolk or driving on Dartmoor, he will have been pinged by dozens and probably 100's of ANPR cameras, since the defective certifucate was issues.

As he hasn't had his collar felt yet, he is unlikely to now.
This would suggest that someone, somewhere, unknowingly (or otherwise) has a valid certificate for his vehicle.

The issue today is that your friend now KNOWS about the problem.
It's been there since day one and nothing has happened whilst he has driven around, oblivious.
Knowledge has bred concern

What you don't know, won't hurt you.

Last edited:
I've suggested he emails his regular workshop explaining the situation, which he has already done verbally, referring them back to the invoice where they charged him for the mot and repair/ service work and get them to sort it out. In the meantime he is rearranging vehicles and taking this one off the road as his fella understandably doesn't want to use it.

I don't know if there would be enough mitigation to avoid any issues about driving without an mot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom