MOT Certificate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

I am about to put a private plate on my car, how do you go about the MOT certificate for the new number plate. I realise about the insurance company,
but not sure about the MOT.
Many thanks.

On one car I did before the new online system i was issued with a replacement MOT certificate for the remainder of the year (replacement tax disc also back then).

The other car I did since the online system I wasn't issued with a replacement but the history matches up correctly on the online MOT history system.

The other car I did since the online system I wasn't issued with a replacement but the history matches up correctly on the online MOT history system.

This. Nothing to do, the online system will take care of it all.

Did one of mine last year. Didn't get an MOT certificate, or obviously a tax disk, but when I took the car in for test it just went through seamlessly. :cool:

I've just done this in the past couple of days. The MOT is not re-issued. The MOT you had on the previous plate is valid until it is time to renew. I checked this by calling the DVLA.

The process now is immediate....I bought the plate on the phone, the supplier of the plate did everything online with the DVLA and within 30 seconds I got an email from the DVLA to state that I can start using the plate, and that was on a Saturday !

The new V5 arrived today.....within 3 days.

The most difficult part of it all was getting plates made up without the V5. I had to go back to the company that I bought the plate from and they sorted out a set of numberplates for me, as I needed to use the car. In actual fact I could have run it on the original plate till the V5 turned up but I was eager to have them fitted asap :)

Avoid using online companies that do not provide a phone number to have the numberplates made up.

Last edited:
Yes the changing number plate number plate system at the DVLA works fine,pity the Road Fund reminders worked as well sat here on Monday and thought my road fund licence must be due but no reminder so went on line at DVLA and I needed one from 1/3/2016 so I had to ring them at 9pm and do the business with the touch phone inputting loads of numbers,just a thought for the threadstarter if you have a private plate which is shall we say not quiet legal you would be advised to get a legal set as well and stick them on the car for the MOT they can fail the car and can inform the DVLA also if you have a Mercedes and it is shrouded some MOT stations issue a advisory ask around to find one that does not I drive 12 miles to one that does not.

I've just done this in the past couple of days. The MOT is not re-issued. The MOT you had on the previous plate is valid until it is time to renew. I checked this by calling the DVLA.

The process now is immediate....I bought the plate on the phone, the supplier of the plate did everything online with the DVLA and within 30 seconds I got an email from the DVLA to state that I can start using the plate, and that was on a Saturday !

The new V5 arrived today.....within 3 days.

The most difficult part of it all was getting plates made up without the V5. I had to go back to the company that I bought the plate from and they sorted out a set of numberplates for me, as I needed to use the car. In actual fact I could have run it on the original plate till the V5 turned up but I was eager to have them fitted asap :)

Avoid using online companies that do not provide a phone number to have the numberplates made up.

Has most of the population of Swansea been made redundant as a result of this efficiency?

I've used Ebay, no nothing required other than payment, your address and got within 48 hours

Good advice zipdip re the legal plates. I have my C63 vanity plate G9OWY as here but when I had them made (on eBay) I also had a'legal' set made G9 OWY and tucked them in the boot. Car isn't due MOT until 17 but if I get pulled by Dibble I have an instant remedy....

It does annoy me that the law is very specific about the legality of a number plate, especially as it is also a legal requirement to have the BS AU number stamped in the bottom right hand corner.

What really annoys me is the amount of traffic that use bits of card with the number plate written in black marker on trailers. You'd be surprised at how many lorries carrying farm produce have these cardboard plates. How many of these are pulled over by the Old Bill? Not that many, I assume, as this practice is rife.

The law should state the colour of the plate (front and back), the reflective quality, and the Font type and size allowed, including spaces, and leave the rest to us. As long as the plate clearly displays the vehicle registration number, why shouldn't we be able to adorn it with the odd symbol or slogan?

MSG2004 said:
I've used Ebay, no nothing required other than payment, your address and got within 48 hours
Me too. But Paddy Hopkirk shopped the guy who used to make them.

Thanks for your replies, i did it online and no problem at all. The MOT will run with the new plate until it expires. The last time i did this was a trip to my local DVLA office based in Theale Berkshire (when i lived in Berkshire) and it was a PITA, doing it online it is so easy it makes you wonder why it took so long to think it up.
Many thanks.

I've used one of these companies some time in the past....no plates arrived and the whole thing became a nightmare to get my money back.

Generally speaking I don't part with money to companies that do not post a phone number.

After all, if you are a valid, genuine, law abiding business, why would you not post a phone number ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom