MOT Costs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sgtbob

Car
1999 T C230K
Booking my 1999 C230K 89,000 miles, in tommorow for its MOT. Going to get a few quotes, but just wanted to get a feel for rough estimates i can expect?

Thanks,

Rob.

My local dealership, £35 :)

I paid £45 at an indy.

Thing is with quick fit types offering half price MOT's or similar I would worry they 'find' things wrong to make up the discount...

right or wrong that's how I feel.

Mine past :)

I pay the "full" (i.e. government maximum) price, every time... which at the moment is £53.10 for cars up to 8 passenger seats (after 3 years of age)...

but that does include any minor issues, like bulbs, wipers, light-alignement, etc..

M.

I use a small firm (Royton Express) that only do MOT's - they do not do any kind of repairs, etc. This way, I know they have no interest in the result of the MOT........ They charge £40.00.

It's worth finding a similer one near you, for a completly impartial test.....

Local council places are good for this too - no repairs, just MOT's so are completely impartial

So local MB dealerships do it for £35? Would it be better taking it there or would i be given a list of advice/repairs etc at the end of it, and so better taking it to a local place?

If you're having a service - some dealerships will do the MOT free.....ask and see...

Just booked in with MB Warrington, for £53, "while you wait", with "a full clean and valet" at the end. lol.

Nov:2007 £29 at Mertrux Derby Nov:2008 gone up to £30 pass both times best thing is to shop around.

£20 in plymouth! And they don't make up things to do! Or £49.99 service with MOT. :D

I use a small firm (Royton Express) that only do MOT's - they do not do any kind of repairs, etc. This way, I know they have no interest in the result of the MOT........ They charge £40.00.

It's worth finding a similer one near you, for a completly impartial test.....

Local council places are good for this too - no repairs, just MOT's so are completely impartial

I dont believe any MOT place is completly impartial, you normally find out after MOT that they can highly recommend a certain garage... but thats just my opinion..

I also agree places doing cheap MOT tend to find thing's wrong, average price is £40-50

Audi offer free MOT, wife's A6 is going in on thursday for it MOT without a service just a free MOT.

I dont believe any MOT place is completly impartial, you normally find out after MOT that they can highly recommend a certain garage... but thats just my opinion..

I also agree places doing cheap MOT tend to find thing's wrong, average price is £40-50

Council places have NOTHING to gain from failing your car!

I do agree with shopping around though.

MOT is free at MB dealer if you have Service-Plus and you are guarranteed to pass, cos any failure is covered by the service plan :D

Yup I've had free MOTs on my SL since I've owned it (coming up for 5 years), via the local main dealer. MOT comes up in July, service is in October, never had any problems.

I wonder how many garages will fail cars on things cos there is not much work in.
Most places are meant to be cracking down on brake pipes at the moment slight corrosion and they are failing it.

We charge £40 for an HONEST mot.

A few places close to us charge £25/£30 but they are known for finding (un)necessary work.

We had a customer come in with a 3y/o vauxhall that had failed its 1st mot and required £700 of remedial work according to the local vauxhall main agent.

The customer doubted this and got us to re-mot the car (we didnt know the previous failure) and the car went through with not even an advisory.

Anyway, it ended up going to VOSA who found the Vauxhall Main Agent acted fraudulently, the tester was disciplined and had his license revoked, the quality controller got penalised and the Dealership were heavily penalised also.

It really is a case of beware.

Cheap doesnt always mean the best option, if it is too cheap, it is for a reason and an MOT test costs us £26 to carry out anyway so people doing them for £30 must be bent I always say.

>>Nov:2007 £29 at Mertrux Derby

Are they fair and reasonable?

I buy my parts from them, but I had never considered getting the MOT done there.

I did use the Bosch centre on Ascot Drive, but, they've recently sold out to a large chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom