MOT exceptions due to Covid-19

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
Gov have issued a moratorium on MOT retests for commercial vehicles so that then can both stay on the road and not be waiting on reduced MOT testers.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): MOTs for lorries, buses and trailers

Got me thinking.....
Thankfully this is not being extended to the great unwashed (given its the only look over many out there do and rely upon) but daughter's MOT expires 21st April, so I am getting it booked in ASAP / tomorrow for service and MOT so that it's there should she need it and she when she needs it. There could be a real backlog when we eventually open back up for business.....

A heads up to anyone here who needs their car and the MOT is due

Useful heads up, thanks. Though as it happens I had my Golf done a couple of weeks ago and the other two aren't due for a while yet.

There could be a real backlog when we eventually open back up for business.....
...and I suspect not just for MoTs. :(

My wife's car is booked in for Wednesday. She works in a school so pretty essential.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I had mine done two weeks ago ,I put it in early,my local mechanic said that there was going to be a shortage of MOT testers because they now have to do extra training,anyway mine passed no problems.

Mine’s booked in for its MoT later this week at the same time as its B service. If the stealership is still open by Friday!

Got my B service in last week and also my wife's car serviced however I doubt either will be doing very many miles over the next 3-4 months.
I am in lockdown and my wife is trying not to go out other than on foot within the village which luckily has a store which will take orders and leave them outside in a cardboard box. I am so glad I do not live in a major conurbation although trying to stop day trippers visiting the village is going to need Boris to announce a lockdown , hopefully today!

I have raised the issue of both our company cars and additionally those of my colleagues who need them to get to work, with our insurers to get the confirmed position on this.
They ARE as an industry working with the Government (they have advised) on what to do around MOT's so that essential workers can still get to work (given the reliance of insurance on having an MOT)

Will let you know what I get back from the ABI

PS my local garage's phone is off the hook, so a wander in the sunshine this afternoon to see what's their position (and a hunt for some provisions whilst out and about)

The Mini was done a couple of weeks back and is good until April 2021 and the BM isn't a year old yet, so I'm sorted for a while. If we're still in this situation by the time I need another MOT I suspect I'll have bigger worries than keeping the cars on the road..

Cheers,

Gaz

In Italy despite the lockdown vehicle mechanics/garages are allowed to continue operating as are spare parts suppliers and manufacturers. Not sure about Spain and France but it seems likely there will be a pragmatic approach to keep essential workers on the road.

Phew, local garage just having no phone or internet with BT in a van outside!

All still open, and daughters car in for Main Service and MOT Wednesday.

That said, one of the guys is having to stay off work due to his other half having symptoms, so getting it sorted before they cannot do MOT's was / is a good idea.
Then I left them with a little bombshell that generated a few four letter words when I suggested that they check when their LOLER and PUWER inspections are due on their lifts etc.

And its not a question of them being asked to close, but they are working on hi risk property (have you seen a steering wheel under UV!!!!) and they may have to close when they run out of testers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom